Canada-Vancouver

No engagement ring

My fiance is against spending money on an engagement ring.  He considers it a waste of money.  What do you think?

Re: No engagement ring

• edited December 2011
    It's not neccessary. My Fiance is a student and I did not expect an engagement ring from him. He surprised me later in our engagement, and I love my ring, but I would have been happy without one too.
  • edited December 2011
    what about you? do you feel ok without a ring?
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, this one is all about you - it would matter to me, so you have to decide how you feel.
  • edited December 2011
    If my fiance told me flat out I couldn't have an engagement ring, I think I would feel upset because its something that I've envisioned.

Perhaps he doesn't have the money to spend on a ring, so that's why he's feeling like that.

For myself, my fiance and I are both struggling students with some hefty student loans.  We just can't afford thousands on a ring.  So he proposed to me with a silver first nations ring that was hand carved by a highly desired Haida artist.

The symbolism, the quality, and uniqueness of the ring is gorgeous.  And it only cost him a few hundred dollars.  I adore it and value it.

Hopefully you two can come to an agreement where you both hear each other's needs and find a place that you're both happy with in the middle.
  • edited December 2011
    Try www.bidz.com. Very reasonable prices for rings without breakng the bank! 
  • randiatuccrandiatucc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was against my fiance spending tons of money on an engagement right so he proposed with my grandmothers ring.  I later picked one out at Ultra Diamonds in Seattle for 1/4 the cost. I also considered a ring from Swarovski as they're beautiful and no one would ever know.
  • edited December 2011
    My reaction would depend on his reasoning.

If he couldn't afford it, of course I'd marry him anyways (although I'd hope that one day finances would improve and I'd get one).

If money was not the object, then I would be a little ticked.  I mean, the ring is for the bride, not the groom and so he should be asking you if you'd like one and then comply.  It is not like he needs to spend a fortune. 

Does he object to buying you a necklace or earrings for birthdays or Christmas?  If not, why would he object to jewlery for your engagement?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have one either... part of me would love a sparkly shiny ring, but we're also pretty tight on cash (I'm a student and he's starting his own film business), so I don't want a ring if we can't afford it! I told him that I'd rather have a nice sparkly anniversary ring at some point... and of course nice wedding bands, which to me is more important :-)

What the man DOESN'T know is that my sister and I are planning a little spoof video that will be a montage of my hand with all sorts of ridiculous non-engagement rings (candy rings... crazy costume rings, rings made of food - I want a shot of a bacon ring and our cat eating it). If I don't get a ring, I'm at least going to get some LAUGHS out of it. ;-P
  • ramora13ramora13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is something you need to decide together. I'm NEY and my BF is not very good at saving money (although he is working on it and starting to get better) so I told him that until he can save up for a ring (but it doesn't have to be very expensive) we won't be saving up for a wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards