Military Brides

Military wedding advice please!!! :)

Military wedding advice please!!! :)

Re: Military wedding advice please!!! :)

• olavarriaktolavarriakt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the gift registry goes I did all of mine online. They ask for your address and even confirm whether or not that's the address you'd like the gifts to be shipped too as well to avoid having to mail it somewhere else and to make it easier for your guests. I'm in a similar situation as yours and that's what I've found to beeasiest so far. 

I can't really help with the attire since my boy is in the army and I don't know much about Navy uniforms lol. All I can say is that he's wearing his dress blues and his groomsmen will be in class As. 

Hope this helps at least a little lol 

=] 
  • olavarriaktolavarriakt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last time I checked standard shipping was free but anything faster than that they had to pay for. 
  • edited December 2011
    I had a small registry with Macy's and I had everything sent to my MIL's house.She had more room than I did in the barracks. When you do the registry online, you can decide where to have things shipped. Keep in mind, that you will probably get some gifts at the wedding, so you'll need to factor that into your return trip.
    Also, Lots of Sailors get married in thier dress blues.. Just an other option. GL
    Photobucket
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup, do you have an address on the east coast where you can have your gifts shipped? Just have your registry automatically do that. A LOT of people expect to ship wedding gifts, because it's proper etiquette to have gifts sent to the couple at home, and not to bring to the wedding. At our wedding, we got 2 boxed gifts, everything else was delivered to my apartment prior to the wedding and to our new home after the wedding. We did get cards with cash at the wedding, but those are easy to carry :) If you register at national stores (Macys, BB&B, Williams-Sonoma) they're going to suggest the gift be shipped. We registered at Bloomingdales and WS and had no problems at all with shipped gifts.

As far as your fiance's dress goes, let him wear his mess uniform if it's what he wants! He wont' be overdressed, he's the GROOM! That's like saying a bride can't wear a fancy gown with beading because her wedding isn't black tie, in my opinion :) At our wedding, my H wore his dress blues (he's a Marine), the groomsmen and dads wore tuxedos and everyone else wore a suit.  My BMs wore cocktail dresses, even though the male WP members were in black/white tie. It doesn't matter that miuch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We had this problem too. We registered for very few things, everyone knows we are moving to Kansas after the wedding so we are hoping they get the hint for cash. I will be driving myself so I will have room for some of the smaller things.

As for the mess dress, you and your FI are suppose to stand out... I dunno about you but my dress is def. more fancy then the BMs. So it doesn't look odd.
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also did our registry online and are having the gifts shipped to my parents'. We ony registered for a few things, because FI will change duty stations sometime this year so we didn't want the hassle of having to move a lot of stuff. 

As for the attire, if your FI wants to wear his dress mess then let him. He's the groom, he doesn't  have to wear the same clothes as his GM, just as you wear a bridal gown that stands out from the rest. 
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another idea is to enable your registry for gift cards. I know some old school folks don't  like giving money, but are okay with gift cards. Since people know you're having the wedding so far away from where you live, if they don't want to have a physical gift shipped to your east coast address, they can always bring a gift card to the wedding. On WS.com, there was a little clicky thing where you could enable gift cards. We didn't do it because we were PCSing right after the wedding and our move was covered, but it is an option. So long as you aren't registering for gift cards or asking for cash outright, you're fine.

AND...you can always have your mom/his mom/your MOH remind guests you live on the other side of the country subtely when guests ask them where you're registered. As in, oh they're registered at Macy's and isn't it great that Macys.com will ship gifts to them on the East Coast? Otherwise they'd have a huge haul to take back with them, what a hassle! :)

ETA-- another little hint is to have the return address on your invites be your east coast address...usually ppl know that the return address is where gifts should be shipped. That's what we did as well, even though my father issued the invitations. We just had the return flap/rsvp say my maiden last name and then my apt address.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Service dress whites are seasonal but you can always wear dress blues in place of them at any time of the year.  It is entirely up to him whether he wears service dress blues or dress mess.  The dress mess is an awesome uniform but, rather pricey.  I know DH has said in the past that it is around $700 once everything is said and done. 

Other than that good luck and happy planning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Epic07032011Epic07032011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_military-wedding-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ceff5c89-9266-4bc2-bbb6-3a91b8037a79Post:37362102-254e-41e0-9546-65b988085363">Re: Military wedding advice please!!! :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a small registry with Macy's and I had everything sent to my MIL's house.She had more room than I did in the barracks. When you do the registry online, you can decide where to have things shipped. Keep in mind, that you will probably get some gifts at the wedding, so you'll need to factor that into your return trip. Also, Lots of Sailors get married in thier dress blues.. Just an other option. GL
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

We;re doing that, too. Mail to MIL, registry at Macy's. It's all pretty easy--just select a national chain. Some people will bring the gifts in person, but many will use the website and have it shipped to wherever you tell the registry to ship it to. Very helpful!

And... congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards