Registry and Gift Forum

Fiance wedding gift.

hey girls, i wasn't sure where to post this but i need opinions. i cannot think of anything to get my fiance for a wedding gift. i always see ideas for cufflinks, pocket watches, desk accessories, etc.  i want to get him something special and personal but he isn't the type for jewelry and he does not have a desk job. i wanted to get football tickets, but his team doesn't play anywhere near us this year.  i also don't really want to do boudoir photos. i'm stumped

Re: Fiance wedding gift.

• Figure out something he really wants.    He sounds outdoorsy, so maybe find him an indestructable hiking watch.  Or get him a big cooler emblazoned with his football team's logo... or a jersey.

It doesn't have to be romantic or wedding-y, just find something you know he'll love.
    murrayed
  • good ideas. my problem is if he wants something he buys it. he likes xbox but buys the games he wants when they come out. i already got him his favorite player's jersey. he is just tough to buy for lol...and what makes it even harder is his birthday is 2 days after the wedding so i'm trying to think of 2 different gifts.
  • Did you discuss gifts?  Do you have to get one?

IMO, I think it is a strange thing to do.  You are giving each other your love, devotion, and the rest of your lives... what more do you need?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we sort of discussed gifts...he said he got me something. but its not so much we feel we have to exchange gifts like u would on birthday or christmas. its more that i would like to give him something special on a special day. when my brother got married he had yellow roses sent to the church for my sister in law and i just thought that was the sweetest thing. jsut something saying i'm thinking about u and can't wait to see u and i love u
  • We decided to get each other a little something we both really want off our registries if we don't get it. I'm getting him the Everyday Pan by Calphalon because he is a chef and loves to cook. I asked for the espresso machine.
    Anniversary
  • I'm just getting mine a new hat.  Or so I told him to keep us from having to stop at Lids for the billionth time last week.

No but seriously he's really been wanting a new Braves hat.

All the gifts you listed sounded about as a great as a monogrammed tote for a bridesmaid.... aka not a good idea.  Not to give the same advice, but what do you get him for his bday?  Think along those lines.

Sidenote - my mom gave me the present my dad gave her.  It's a little Norman Rockwell painting of a young boy and girl and the boy has his arm around the girl.  It's adorable.
  • My FI mentioned a golf club that he wanted not long after we got engaged. I ordered it then and stored it at my parents' house. It wasn't anything major, but something he really wanted and wouldn't buy for himself. 

Keep an ear open to see (hear :)) if he mentions anything in passing.
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I made a "newlywed map" for us to mark off all of the places we've been together.  I got the idea here: http://heatherdrive.blogspot.com/2009/09/world-is-ours.html

Originally, I was going to do a world map, but the chances of us filling much up outside the US is probably pretty slim.  If we do ever go anywhere not on the map, I'll probably add a little "flag" with the name and pin it in one of the open spaces on the map.  So here's the one I made, and marked with places we've already been.

Outside of Las Vegas, pretty much everything is in the North East.  But I'm very excited to be able to have us mark off Maui in just a few weeks!

The other part of his gift I had made about a month ago.  He's so difficult to buy anything for, so I thought I'd go with something a little different.  I had a bobblehead of us custom made.  I know he's going to love it and he'll probably end up putting it on his desk at work. Obviously, you don't know what we look like, but trust me, they did a great job!

The map I'm going to send to his dad's house with his sisters before the wedding.  I'm going to surprise him with the bobblehead at the reception.  I'll probably have them either set it up on the head table or the cake table.

• edited September 2010
    We're writing love letters to each other. No gifts, since we will have just spent a not-so-small fortune on the most important day of our lives.
  • My FI and I aren't buying each other gifts, unless you count our wedding bands. We're saving money for the rest of our life and aren't planning on spending even more for that one day, when we'll be buying gifts for each other forever too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_fiance-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a26b48a8-4820-439a-958a-f0724715a17dPost:46f50f18-c3c4-4cce-b09c-6fab15714282">Re: Fiance wedding gift.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I made a "newlywed map" for us to mark off all of the places we've been together. Posted by dibsontop[/QUOTE]

I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! I already have the gift I'm giving my groom on our wedding day but I think I will save this and give it to him on the honeymoon. What a totally fun idea!!

I bought my FH a Lego belt buckle. He is obsessed with Legos, and has been all his life. His mom tells me stories about him as a child with his legos! And he wears belt buckles all the time, so it's perfect! Also, the Lego belt buckle is a hint towards our surprise honeymoon- one of the things we are doing in Chicago is the LegoLand Discovery center! He knows none of this though. lol
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • My fiance is the same thing--when he wants something, he just gets it. It makes me nuts because I like to give sentimental, meaningful gifts. It took me a long time to accept that he would really just rather have a gift card!

We are paying for our wedding ourselves, so we're not doing wedding gifts, but I did want to do something special for him when we got engaged. I wasn't expecting it, but literally all the attention was directed at me--I was sent engagement cards and gifts, many of which didn't even have his name on them! The day we got engaged, only two of his friends (the two who are in relationships, lol) called to congratulate him. I felt terrible because he was SO excited about being engaged, but he's one of the first in his circle to get married--the rest are still in a "wanderlust" phase.

So I wanted to do something to make a fuss over him, and I knew it would be my last opportunity to do it before I got into paying for the wedding. He's also graduating from college for the second time this year, so I really wanted to splurge for once.

I ended up getting him an iPad. I was disappointed because it wasn't sentimental and I also felt like it was kind of a waste of money when he has every other mac gadget under the sun, but I knew he really wanted one.

He flipped--he was so excited. He also shows it off to everyone who comes over and talks about how great it is to be engaged. It's pretty cute. He's even downloaded wedding planning aps! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards