Latino Weddings
Options

Help! Hispanics traditions Not Catholic!

My questions are as follows..

DF and I are mexican americans.

We both want to do the lasso and coin wedding ceremony

BUT we are both Christains

Is it possible to do these traditions and not be catholic.

We see it as a part of or culture but not our religion what do u think?

and the lasso doesnt have to be  a rosary am i correct?

Any websites to verify this is appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Rosetta and Raul (cant find answers anywhere plz help)

Also whats the veil thing that the lasso goes on top of represent?

Re: Help! Hispanics traditions Not Catholic!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Catholic tradition the laso would be a rosary, but you could certainly do it without a rosary, just use a beaded or special rope.

Catholicism is Christianity....both believe in Christ.  So, don't get so hung up on their differences...look at the meaning behind things!
  • Options
    virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My FI and I are doing the Lasso and coins as well. We are Catholic, but I have never gotten the impression that they are exclusively Catholic customs, so I wouldn't sweat it. You should have them :-)

I think you're right that they are more cultural than anything. I couldn't find any info that referred to them as Catholic customs. I think it's just that most Hispanics are Catholic, so it just seems that way.

When I lived in Honduras I went to a few weddings. Although they were all Catholic weddings, none of the lasso's used were rosaries. One couple was very poor and just had the priest wrap his stole(like a long scarf) around them. Another couple had a string of flowers wrapped around them and it was so beautiful!! It was like an extra long hawaiian flower lei and they looped it in the traditional figure-8 pattern. Maybe this is something you would like?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Christian (non-denominational) here as well!  Catholics are Christians too btw (just in case so you don't offend anyone)...

We are doing the laso & arras as well.  I read somewhere (forgot where) that they are Catholic traditions, but it's my wedding so I'll incorporate them anyway because I want them!  I had a friend have a laso made of fresh flowers, and we're obviously not using a rosary either.  So tweak the customs so that they're what you want.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies I appreciate it all the advice .. we wont be using a rosary of course but  well see how it goes :)
  • Options
    palomita1010palomita1010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dont worry it will go well :) I'm also Christian not catholic and we'll be using el laso. there's some really pretty ones that have flowers and such in the middle. I'm doing them because they are part of my family tradition and not really worring about where the tradition begun. Have fun with all this :) Seriously!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards