Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registering for the same items...

Hey Ladies!
My FI and I registered Monday at Macy's.  My MOH has suggested that we register at one other place, at least, to give our guests an option.  I was leaning toward doing BBB, but I know that they carry a lot of the same items.  

Is it tacky for me to register for the same thing at both places?  Or is it smart so that if Macy's doesn't have an item on sale, and BBB does (or vice versa), my guests can save a bucks?  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registering for the same items...

• Options
    I think it's okay to register for the same items at more than one store.  I will be registering for some of the same items at two places... Macy's and Belk's, so that if someone doesn't have one of these stores nearby, they can shop at whichever one is more convenient for them.  I am just a little concerned that I might get more duplicates that way...
    ***January Siggy Challenge... Bouquet Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you only want one of the item, I'd limit it to one registry.  Whereas if its something you can never have too many of (towels and sheets come to mind), by all means.  I registered for multiples on my two different registries and ended up with 28 wine glasses from a single shower.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-for-the-same-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:469ccb9c-bb14-4136-b896-87e6725ff148Post:32a89dd0-1487-45cf-9a6a-59b9eca43bf6">Re: Registering for the same items...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you only want one of the item, I'd limit it to one registry.  Whereas if its something you can never have too many of (towels and sheets come to mind), by all means.  I registered for multiples on my two different registries and ended up with 28 wine glasses from a single shower.
    Posted by ingramnusz[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's a lot of wine glasses!  And I've been afraid of this happening.  I know that Macy's will let me do returns, but I don't know how painless that will be.  I could return duplicate items and get other items from the registry that I didn't receive.  Was this an option for you?  

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My sister did this & the only issue is that (let's be honest) people shop last minute! She thought she could 'monitor' it to make sure that she would delete duplicates off the other registry, but so many people bought the week-of that she couldn't prevent duplicates. I vote that you do it for showers/few weeks before, then trim down so that you don't have to monotior for duplicates.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-for-the-same-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:469ccb9c-bb14-4136-b896-87e6725ff148Post:9ecedafb-32d1-48bb-ac78-f5bd52ccbef7">Re: Registering for the same items...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's okay to register for the same items at more than one store.  I will be registering for some of the same items at two places... Macy's and Belk's, <strong>so that if someone doesn't have one of these stores nearby, they can shop at whichever one is more convenient for them. </strong> I am just a little concerned that I might get more duplicates that way...
    Posted by mrskloop[/QUOTE]

<div>I was thinking this too since we will have people from California and Pennsylvania coming to out Atlanta wedding.  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would not register for the same item at two different stores.  As a guest, I would feel extremely awkward if the bride opened a gift and my unopened gift was the same thing.  Don't put your guests in this situation.  I'm sure you can find a nice mix of things between the two stores.
  • Options
    I would not register for the same thing at different stores...as people said, you can end up with multiples. Macy's does put A LOT of their stuff on sale. The only things that didn't go on sale were our crystal wine glasses. Everything else (towels, china, pots/pans, kitchen electrics) was always on sale. 

You can register at a place that has items that Macy's doesnt. In addition to macys, we did crate & barrel for our casual & serving pieces & a few kitchen accessories and also pottery barn for more decorative items & furnature. If macy's has everything you want, I would just do that one. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-for-the-same-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:469ccb9c-bb14-4136-b896-87e6725ff148Post:cef5d5ab-fc90-4e77-af9c-318888ed6655">Re: Registering for the same items...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registering for the same items... : That's a lot of wine glasses!  And I've been afraid of this happening.  I know that Macy's will let me do returns, but I don't know how painless that will be.  I could return duplicate items and get other items from the registry that I didn't receive.  Was this an option for you?  
    Posted by mrsfrontrunner[/QUOTE]

I probably could have returned. I ended up keeping them and putting some in storage. I have bad luck with breaking them.....maybe THAT'S why I got so many. ;-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    OP, I think it's fine to do this for a few things you really want - I see multiple KA stand mixers a lot or multiple pots and pans and knives.  But I would limit it to the things you really really want because like PP said it can be awkward to open too many duplicates at a shower.  It can also be a huge hassle to return for store credit - Macy's and BBB are both very good about that, but imagine how many trips it would take you to return 30 duplicate items.  You might also want to save adding duplicates until after your shower, since nobody will see you open wedding gifts except your FI and maybe your parents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't. Even if someone doesn't have a Macy's or BBB near them, there is always shopping online. If someone really wanted to get you something on your BBB registry, they still can.

Like another poster said, I don't think this would work out well for a shower especially. People buy last-minute so you can't monitor the duplicates, and I would feel awkward having another guest open my gift at the shower. Not the end of the world, I know, but still I'd feel weird especially if it was an item you would obviously not need or want two of.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    As a guest, I usually shop last-minute--sometimes even the day of the shower. Even if I shop in advance, I'm not the type to compare prices. I rarely shop at Macy's and would end up going to BBB even if there was a sale on the same item at Macy's. Also, there are frequent sales/coupons at both stores.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about making your registry in a way that will save your guests money. People who are bargain shoppers will shop around regardless, and people like me who just want to get into the store and get out will do so as well. There's also the PIA of making returns, which, as a busy bride, I wouldn't look forward to.

I do see the advantage of making a second registry to give people options, but I wouldn't register for duplicates.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Can you maybe split the items between the stores? So of the items they both have, put half at one store, half at another. It might be easier to monitor where it seems like people are preferring to shop and then switch things over than keep up with duplicates and deleting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I ended up using BBB and Target, I liked a bed-in-a-bag set at each place, so i asked for one from each place, same with other bedding. We have 2 bathrooms, so i asked for certain towels for ours, and certain towels from the other. I used BBB for more expensive chinaware, and Target for dinnerware. can you split anything like that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice ladies!  I'll talk to FI and see if he'd like to split or register for different things at our second pick.  :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I refused to put duplicates on, but I really think it's personal preference. If you wouldn't mind doing returns, go for it. I wanted to avoid that. My cousin just had a baby, and had THREE registries, and put the same things on pretty much all of them. I refused to shop her registries, knowing there was a good chance my gift could be a duplicate and need to be returned. That's just me though! I just felt she was being gift grabby.

We did Macy's and BB&B. We did BB&B first, put everything we wanted, then did Macy's a couple of weeks later. We did some duplicates, and I just went home and compared the two lists to try to even them out, and decide which we liked best, then took it off the other one. If I couldn't have compared them online, I would have just stuck with one store! It was kind of confusing in the beginning when we tried to remember what we had put on BB&B, but we gave up on that approach!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I registered for some of the same items at different places. I just made sure we would be able to return the item if we recieved duplicates.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards