Getting in Shape
Options

grocery shopping - need help!!

Ok I need some examples of what you eat for your meals.  Especially breakfast and lunch...  :)  I am trying to get back on the wagon and I want to fill my house with healthy choices.

Also does anyone have any healthy soup recipes?  I would like to make a bunch and have it all week!

thank you
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: grocery shopping - need help!!

• Options
    For breakfast I have a high protein cereal w/ skim milk most days.  If I want to mix it up I'll go for instant oatmeal (I know, not great) or an english muffin.

Lunch I usually have a half a can/carton of soup (or a single serving container) with either a salad or some bread w/ light cream cheese.

I'm thinking of making up a pot of chili to bring as lunches for the next few days, it's fantastically delicious.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=382370

It's made with ground turkey and chickpeas.  Yummm.

If you go back a few pages we did a soup recipe exchange some time last week.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • Options
    youre always best sticking to the outer perimeter of the store - fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, dairy, etc. Compare what is in your food with other similar products to get what has less fat or carbs.

For breakfast I usually have an english muffin with 2 eggs, or an english muffin with PB. Milk. Yogurt and/or Cottage cheese with lunch, salads with lots of veggies local/lofat dressing and lots of chicken. Soup with it, or 1/2 a sandwich. Fruit.
  • Options
    I usually have cold cereal with skim milk and fruit for breakfast.

Lunch is usually leftovers from last night's dinner, or I'll hit up Subway to get a healthy sandwich (and this only rarely).

Snacks: I bring fruit with me to work.  I keep almonds in my desk, and applesauce, baby carrots/hummus and WW string cheese in my office fridge for mid-morning and afternoon snacks.  Yogurt that's not loaded with tons of sugars to make up for the lack of fat is also a good choice. 

I have recipes for chili, black bean and tomato soup, and sante fe corn chowder that are all pretty low cal and delicious.
  • Options
    For breakfast I eat either 2 hard boiled egg whites with fruit or strawberry yogurt smoothie (frozen strawberries, 1 cup lf yogurt and 1 cup milk.
    For lunch I usaully so turkey burger, turkey or chicken meatballs, or some kind of sandwich on light wheat bread I like Wonder the best.
    For dinner I usually have chicken and a veggie or salad no carbs at after 2 pm.  Only lf dressing or walden farms dressing with my salad.  No ketchup or bbq sauce ever.
    Someone already said it but I almost never go into the middle of the store anymore.  I get alot of recipes from www.eatbetteramerica.com.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_grocery-shopping-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:85c49784-f273-4b4d-ad52-e1d92ff390baPost:c1be86ef-ad9e-4d17-afb8-0b0800b75b56">grocery shopping - need help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok I need some examples of what you eat for your meals.  Especially breakfast and lunch...  :)  I am trying to get back on the wagon and I want to fill my house with healthy choices. Also does anyone have any healthy soup recipes?  I would like to make a bunch and have it all week! thank you
    Posted by tiff1783[/QUOTE]

Breakfast I have either oatmeal or eggs with a piece of toast. I'm pretty boring.

Lunch is a number of things, depends on my mood. My fiance's been into my quinoa black bean scramble lately. I like salads, romaine with tons of veggies and chicken cut up with peppercinis.

Soups are my thang. I make lots of different veggie soups, tortilla soup, good ol' chicken dumpling soup, chili, bean soups... I make a lot in advance and freeze it, then just thaw it when I wanna have it (I'm a student, I don't have time to cook all day! lol)

What sort of things do you like to eat?
  • Options

For breakfast I have a light multigrain english muffin with either peanut butter or low fat veggie cream cheese, and sometimes half a banana...oh, and coffee.  On weekends I have cereal with fruit or english muffin.

For lunches I make sandwiches with ham or turkey and reduced fat cheese on oat bran and flax pitas, plus yogurt and fruit.  Sometimes I bring leftovers depending on what we had the night before.

For snacks I bring a cheese stick and sometimes a Fiber One or Special K bar.

imageimage
    BFP 5/2/11, missed m/c, D&C 6/13/11
    BFP 12/8/11--Little Girl E Born 8/22/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For breakfast I usually like to make my own parfaits - low-fat yogurt, granola, and fruit.  Sometimes I'll add some chopped nuts if I'm feeling adventurous, or a tiny bit of honey for a bit of added sweetness.  Otherwise I'll have a light english muffin, light cream cheese, and strawberries.

Snacks are fruit or cheese sticks.

Lunch is soup lately because it's nice and warm, but I also love love having baby shrimp on a bed of greens tossed with red peppers and olives, with lemon squeezed on for flavor instead of dressing.  Sometimes I'll throw in a bit of goat cheese or avocado.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    Just curious, why all the love for the english muffins?
  • Options
    They taste good, not an outlandish amount of carbs or calories in them (the ones I eat have 140cal, 28g carb) and are quite versatile.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_grocery-shopping-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:85c49784-f273-4b4d-ad52-e1d92ff390baPost:2367500a-7382-432e-97d6-6930bf45619e">Re: grocery shopping - need help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]They taste good, not an outlandish amount of carbs or calories in them (the ones I eat have 140cal, 28g carb) and are quite versatile.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

This.  All of the little nooks and cranny's in the English muffin provide a greater surface are for not only the tastiness of toasting, but also hold on to toppings in a way that is boarderline magical.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • Options
    I might have to buy some english muffins this week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards