South Asian Weddings

Cake Help

Girls!

I wanted to run an idea past you girlies.

I was thinking (because the aim is to save money), to have a small cake which my fiance and I will cut at our wedding and feed eachother with and for the guests, have sheet cakes ordered and cut in the kitchen as opposed to getting a big cake for everybody. It'll be the same flavors, just not a huge constructed cake.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to save with wedding cakes? Did you do cupcakes versus wedding cake? None at all? Just a sweet table?

Sonali

Re: Cake Help

• Our cake was included in the per person cost of our reception, so we didn't really have to worry about this. I have heard of people doing the smaller cake to cut and then having the sheetcakes in the back for the venue to use. I think your best bet would be to price out the different options you mention and then go from there.

I want to say that cupcakes might be more expensive since they seem to be the "in" thing lately, but again, maybe it's best to get a few different quotes and go from there?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    Yay!  A post!

As far as what ends up being cheapest, it really depends.

A small cake plus sheet cake can be cheaper for a really large number of people, but it may not actually make a huge difference.  We ended up finding that the cost difference was minimal and the hassle greater than just getting a bigger cake.

I agree with Raangoli about the cupcakes.  Besides being very trendy, you really have to have at least one per person.  You have some lee-way with cake, though.  Our cake maker suggested that we ask the venue to cut smaller pieces rather than having sheet cake.  It worked out really well.

Other things that can affect the cost of the cake are: 1) some places charge more for multiple flavors versus just one; 2) square cakes cost more than round ones, but feed more people; 3) butter cream is usually the cheapest frosting and fondant is the most expensive; 4) if you want fondant that matches a specific color, that costs more; 5) my friend's off-centered fairy-princess cake with a dome cost more than my conventional square one; 6) the elaborateness of the decorations or special materials used will add to the cost.

A lot of people just love to have dessert, so I think it's nice to offer one, but I think any dessert you choose is fine.
  • I was thinking cutting a small cake for just the two of us and serving our guests with a dessert / fruit table. In any case, they will also have the Indian sweets from the caterer. I just want it to be affordable and I am worried no one will eat the cake. I am trying to find a reasonably priced dessert table.

I think guests may prefer variety, anyway. 

Thoughts?
  • I look forward to the wedding cake, but then again I love desserts, so maybe that's just me. I would find it odd if I went to a wedding where a couple cut a cake and there wasn't any served to the guests. I know you said you plan on having other desserts, but will other desserts really come out to be more affordable than a large sheet cake in the back like your original idea?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • We are doing our wedding in Aruba and are not doing a cake at all. We have several deserts and are just doing that instead... no cake cutting ceremony or anything. My mom was in the cake decorating business for years in Chicago (she did a lot of the Indian cakes) and she says taht Indians don't really eat that much cake, so she always suggests getting a cake for half the guests and cutting smaller peices. So if you have 300 then order for 150. Hope this helps!
  • Yeah, that is the issue - people don't eat cake but I wanted one for us both.

I don't think anyone will be upset that they didn't get wedding cake so long as there is a dessert for them to eat. I know for sure most of my guests won't eat it and it will go to waste.
  • I went to a friend's wedding a couple years ago and they never had a cake cutting.  They just ordered sheet cake and served it at the dessert table.  To be honest, I didn't even remember that they never did a cake cutting!  It's one of those details that people make a big deal about but a lot of guests will not even remember.  

Another option would be to have cake balls.  These could even serve as your reception favor.  They are very pretty and people can eat them when they want.  You can dress them up with a nice ribbon and a monogrammed sticker on the outside plastic wrap.  I'm not sure about how the price compares to a wedding cake or sheet cake though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards