Getting in Shape

Just NOT a runner?

Is it possible to just not be a runner?

I just did the first day of C25K and it SUCKED!  In fact, that's a lie -- I didn't even DO the whole thing!!!  I couldn't!  cramp in my side, shortness of breath -- HURT to breath, etc etc.

All that being said -- I didn't start off as a couch potato!!!  In fact, I do at least 60 mins of zumba REGULARLY!  I sweat my arse off for nearly the whole thing (not during warm up -- but always START during warm up!)

I've never enjoyed running -- but always enjoyed dancing!  I'm sure that plays part of it...but...MY GOSH!!!!  I WANT to start running -- I enjoy the outside aspect of it -- would love to do some 5k's EVENTUALLY...but is it possible to just not be a runner?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Just NOT a runner?

• Zumba and Running are two very different styles of exercise. I do about 6 days of cardio a week but put my butt on a bike and I will be dying 5 minutes in because my body isn't used to it at all. 
    I, too, am not a runner. I think it's boring, it kills my back and knee (I have a bad back and knee :P ), and I hate tredmills. 

I think that some people are runners, swimmers, hikers, bikers, etc. While we can DO all of those things physically, our bodies (and minds) like specific things, and hate specific things. 
    So you're not a runner. Keep working at it, or maybe take it at a slower pace if you want to do this. But I know for myself, I will never run. I will backpack for 100 miles in a weekend, but put me on the concrete and tell me to run and I Will laugh at you. :o
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_just-not-a-runner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:8ba328d3-3e0e-46ce-a988-b4bc275a4a48Post:75ca6c9f-1c8b-4d7c-8188-90e53c4302eb">Re: Just NOT a runner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Zumba and Running are two very different styles of exercise. I do about 6 days of cardio a week but put my butt on a bike and I will be dying 5 minutes in because my body isn't used to it at all.  I, too, am not a runner. I think it's boring, it kills my back and knee (I have a bad back and knee :P ), and I hate tredmills.  I think that some people are runners, swimmers, hikers, bikers, etc. While we can DO all of those things physically, our bodies (and minds) like specific things, and hate specific things.  So you're not a runner. Keep working at it, or maybe take it at a slower pace if you want to do this. But I know for myself, I will never run. I will backpack for 100 miles in a weekend, but put me on the concrete and tell me to run and I Will laugh at you. :o) 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Sounds like we could be work out buddies!!!  I have bad knees as well (from dancing, ironically) -- tendonitis and arthritis in both of them...I try to power through! 
  • You're a brave woman. 
    Are you running on concrete, or trails? Pllleeeease be careful if you're on concrete.. It's so bad for us with the bum knees :P 
  • I've had both since I was 15 -- so I'm sorta use to the pain -- my FI had knee surgery about a year ago and is a complete baby about how his knees hurt when the weather changes now...I try to remind myself that this is all I ever knew -- but it's sorta fun to pick on him because he use to always give me a hard time about being old and knowing when the weather was going to change!

OH -- and I'm on trails -- ish...it's where pavement is going to go EVENTUALLY -- but it's been that way for as long as we've owned our house (going on 10 years now)

• If your body is not used to doing an exercise, you just have to work at it until it does get used to it. When I first started doing the elliptical, after 5 minutes I seriously felt like I was going to die. Today, I can stay on for an hour no problem. There have been weeks during c25k, that I feel like I am going to die. I pretty much repeat every week twice. Yes, I felt like I was going to die the first week, but stick with it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I definitely felt like I was going to die my first day of C25K. I actually was concerned that I was going to have a heart attack or that my ear drums were bursting (really strange ringing) and then I couldn't stop coughing.

I'm in week 4 now and I can tell you that I could do week 1 over again no problem, so you can do it! I always thought there'd be no way I could run, but I'm proving myself wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Running is really hard for me also. Try speed walking for a few days unil you think you can jog for a little while. I am doing this now and will keep upping my jogging when I feel ready.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards