Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Loaded question and would appreciate all help! Please

Hello everyone!!

For starters, I am the MOH i my best friends wedding and I also am helping with a ton of the planning process. The wedding is not until August.... FYI. I am wondering about wedding day timeline for a 200 guest wedding.

Bride is planning on having the hair dresser coming to the venue and doing her thing there. We will not be getting our hair and makeup done in a salon and then going to venue. How long does it normally take to get hair and makeup done for a bride and 5 BM's?

We will be decorating the days leading up to the wedding and I'm sure there will be  lot of last minute things to tackle the day of.

The biggest thing we are wondering about is the timeline of the reception. We are doing pictures at 2ish with a 4pm ceremony. The bride and groom would like to do a recieving line leading into the reception. They are doing a buffet style dinner. I am worried that by the time the last guests have gone through the buffet line, the first guests will have been done eating and sitting there just drinking and getting bored. Then after that, it's kind of all up for discussion.

Would you be willing to let me in on your timeline, plans, etc. Anything that could help. TIA!!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Loaded question and would appreciate all help! Please

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_loaded-question-would-appreciate-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:7eca04ba-4145-4446-9177-fa164495ebc9Post:6e4e76e4-dd2d-40f7-b60f-8aa5f769b68a">Loaded question and would appreciate all help! Please</a>:
    [QUOTE] How long does it normally take to get hair and makeup done for a bride and 5 BM's?
    Posted by hpfreak2011[/QUOTE]

I can't help with the timeline since I didn't have that kind of reception, but I've had my hair done at the venue for several weddings.

It depends on how many people come and how fast they work.  I'd give them 2 hours, but honestly - ask THEM.  They do this for a living and will know exactly how long they need and how many stylists for the number of people getting work done. 

Don't stress about this - let the stylists guide you for this one.
  • Ask the hairdresses how long they think it will take.  i would imagine that hair would take 20-30 minutes per bridesmaid per stylist, plus maybe 45-60 minutes for the bride?   If it's hair and make-up, then I would add 15 minutes per BM and 20-25 minutes for the bride, but again, it really all depends.

As for the reception timeline, I wouldn't worry about guests sitting around getting bored.  Adults can entertain themselves for the course of a meal -- especially if there is wine or other drinks.   Family will be catching up with each other, etc.  You'll be fine.

Some people like to do the dances first, BEFORE dinner is served.  Some peopel also cut the cake before dinner (though I think this is kind of weird).  If you have a band-leader, DJ, or someone else MCing the reception, then they should have some good suggestions on timeline.  They do this for a living:-)
    DSC_9275
  • I would be worried about the receiving line causing a huge bottle neck into the reception with people standing outside for a prolonged period of time.  This is, of course, just my opinion as I am not really a fan of receiving lines.  I think it's because I went to a wedding where it took more than an hour to get out of the church because people passing the receiving line were trying to have full conversations with the bride and groom.  Again, just my opinion.  I don't want to step on any toes.  

My worry is not for the people who get inside and can eat right away.  Even with full service dinners, you can end up with certain tables finishing dinner before other tables are served.  I agree with the PP. Talk with the DJ to get a feel for some different options.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you open the dance floor before dinner, guests can start dancing while the last people through the buffet finish up.
  • 200 guests is indeed a lot of people to make it through a buffet! Your concerns are legit. Maybe your friend can speak to the caterer and see if they are able to set things up at a few different stations throughout the room to make easier access for more people at once?

As for hair & makeup - agreed. Ask the professionals. They'll have a really good sense of exactly how much time they need. And make sure you budget in EXTRA time. Things always take longer than anticipated and the last thing you want is for everyone to feel stressed out. Plan to arrive pretty early just in case. Bring along some music and snacks, etc. so if you have some hanging out time, you can just enoy relaxing and spending time together. Better to err on the side of too much rather than too little time!

And budget in space for traffic. The day of our wedding the city was nuts and there were so many events & road closures, etc. we hadn't anticipated. It was really difficult to get to the venue and we were totally late. So give yourselves more time than you think you'll need!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_loaded-question-would-appreciate-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:7eca04ba-4145-4446-9177-fa164495ebc9Post:1cbe9dc2-351f-459d-9096-9bd507e70b6e">Re: Loaded question and would appreciate all help! Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some peopel also cut the cake before dinner (though I think this is kind of weird).
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]
    My friend Lessa did this because she wanted to have a picture of her cutting the cake in her wedding dress because she was going to change into a shorter dress for the dances and the remainder of the reception.

• I wouldn't worry about the buffet, make sure that the caterer is going to have 4 buffet lines open and it should only take 20 minutes for everyone to get through! Have you guys thought about having a Day of Coordinator? That would probably take a ton of dress off of you!!
    It's for sure I'm gonna love you all the way. Frank Sinatra
  • first let me say what a great MOH you are to be worrying about this for the bride. That is very sweet.

second, every time I've had my hair done professionally on location there isnt enough time for everyone and some of the girls end up doing their own hair. I'd recommend asking who wants to get their hair done and only having them ( as oppossed to requesting everyone gets theirs done). Include the mother of the bride too, several weddings the mother of the bride wasnt include but wanted hers done and then screwed up the timeline for everyone else.

You can probably google "wedding day timelines" or something to help y'all plan a general timeline. I'm still 7 months out, but plan to start on this sooner or later.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards