New Hampshire

Vendor reviews

I got married this past weekend and with the exception of the rain, everything was amazing!!! Hope this info is helpful to those of you just planning!!!!

Venue - The Executive Court  A+
We had our wedding and reception at the Executive Court. Donna, Missy and everyone who works there was wonderful. From a year ago when we started planning until the last dance Donna was available for everything! We went with their package which included dinner, passed appetizers, champagne toast, cake, floral centerpieces, chair covers and  sashes, a room to stay in that night at the Best Western, and the group price also includes all the taxes and gratuities. We had 114 people and found that the package was definatly worth the price.
Everyone Raved about the food - we had the filef au poivre and the stuffed chicken... both with roasted potatoes and green beans with sun dried tomatoes. people said both were delicious and they were impressed that the meals were hot when served. (I guess its not common with weddings) We were not sitting when the head table was served, we got to our seats and within a minute two hot plates of food were brought to us. All the guest also commented on how wonderful the wait staff was.
We did not get to use the outdoor garden because of rain, they did a good job of making the indoor room look nice. Many people didn't even know it was planned for outside.
The only thing I found to be an issue was the fact that our wedding was at 4:30, and there was another wedding scheduled at 5:30... I don't think it would have been an issue outside because after our ceremony we would have moved to another spot outside. We had to get out of the ceremony room pretty quick so that the next wedding could start and then when we were doing photos under the outdoor walk way (it was still raining) the guest for the next wedding were walking thru their to get to the hotel. It wasn't the biggest issue and nothing could have changed it but it was distracting.

Hotel - Best Western Executive Court Inn
We wanted somewhere that provided rooms because many are from out of town. We reserved 21 rooms for our wedding party. The hotel itself is very nice for a Best Western, very clean, updated, all rooms have refrigerators, microwaves, irons and coffee makers. I give them a "B"  because everyone I have talked to who stayed at the hotel had a complaint about the staff, mostly about the front desk when making and confirming reservations.

Florist - PJ's Flowers and Antiques
Patrick is amazing - my flowers were beautiful!!! PJ's was one of four florists to choose from for the package. Everyone one I talked to said Patrick was the best and they were right!! He loves what he does and it shows. I met with Patrick and gave him ideas of what I wanted - my flowers were orchids and calla lillies. He scheduled an appointment for me to go back 2 weeks later and he had full examples to show. This was wonderful!!!  This appt was 7 months before the wedding and I changed my mind a little on the style of centerpiece I wanted, he made a new sample for me a week later and it was perfect!!! He kept everthing within the allowance for the centerpieces, and recommended if I purchased the containers the whole allowance could go towards the flowers!!! I also thought the pricing for all the other flowers was great I got my bouquet, 4 bridesmaids bouquests, a toss bouquet, orchid pin corsages for both mothers, 3 orchid pin corsages for grandmothers, 9 calla lilly boutineers for groom, both dads, groomsmen, flower girl petals -- all for under $700.
Know that Patrick loves flowers and creating beautiful arrangements, technology is not his thing... He does wedding expos and his work is beautiful, the DVD catalog he hands out does not do his work justice!!! Go see him in person! He will not disappoint! I will now make sure to call him when I want to order any flowers!

Cake - Jacques A+
There were 2 options for cakes with our package and if you've ever had a Jacques cake you know that you would never go anywhere else... the are the best!!! You can choose anything from their classic cake section, I was able to mix and match ideas. We went in and tried the cake flavors and the filling flavors... they're all so yummy! We went with white cake with the amaretto buttercream filling. Everyone loved it!!!

Linens - Divine Linens
As part of our package, chair covers and the color sashes were included. We used the ivory tablecloths from the Executive and added plum satin tableclothes for the head table and the cake table and plum napkins for all the place settings.
It looked wonderful!! The B is because I didn't decide to do the "add ons" until 2 weeks before the wedding, I called to order and was to mail a check. I never got an email confirming and took 5 days of calling, to get the email and a call back. They also delivered the wrong napkins the day of the wedding, luckily I checked out the room early in the day, my color was plum and they delivered a purple... it was a big difference.

DJ Greg Sowa
Greg is amazing!! The dance floor was packed the entire night. We gave him a list of some songs to play,and a list of do not play.  I didn't want to give too many, I wanted people to be able to make requests. People were thrilled that he played what they requested. Everyone had a great time and said is was one the the best, most fun wedding they had ever been to. I also have heard that the DJ from the wedding next door asked for his playlist!!! : )

Officiant - Steven Dembow JP
If you need a JP this Guy is THE BEST!!!!!! Everyone at the wedding thought he was an old family friend who had known us for years! We met with him twice and emailed back and forth. A friend of our went to a wedding that he did last year and recommended him to us. He was funny and made what would have an intese, nervous situation for us feel a little laid back. Lets face it, wedding ceremonies are usually pretty boring to those who are not immediatly related, and even then they can be boring too. He had everyones attention from beginning to end!

Photography - Marina Z   
I have always been the queen of pictures and love great photos. I have no doubt ours will be beautiful! We didn't get to take pics in the gardens like I planned but I know our pictures will be beautiful. She set up a white backround at the reception and had a box of fun props -- fun wigs, silly hats, goofy glasses -- we all had a ball!!! They will be some of the most fun wedding pictures ever!!!

Videographer - Nancy Fleming  
We didn't originally think we wanted a video, but now we are really happy we will have one. There was so much we didn't get to see and it all went by so fast that I will be nice to see it all again. She asked for a list of songs to use, and went around to all the tables so people could send us messages... with all the fun we had on the dance floor and with the props I'm sure there will be some great footage!!

Dresses - Marry and Tux 
When shopping for dresses I went to 3 places, Davids Bridal, Modern Bride and Marry and Tux.  The quality and selection of dresses at Marry and Tux far surpasses the other stores. Stephanie was wonderful!!! At Marry and Tux you have an apt with someone who helps you the whole time... helping you pick out your dresses, try them on and get them off. This was great! At Modern Bride they did not help pick any out, didnt help try them on and didn't help hang them back up - I went in there with a friend also looking for a wedding dress and we both left saying we would never go back. The girl a Davids Bridal was very nice and helpful, I would recommend them, their styles were much simpler and basic. The dresses at Marry and Tux were beautiful - more detail, and yes more expensive.
I had in mind that I wanted a halter style, I was pretty sure I didnt want strapless.... Stephanie pulled several styles for me to try in additon to the the one on the model that I loved.She did a great job finding styles that I would like and there were several that I liked, and the halter on the model was my dress!!  It took 8 months to come in but was worth the wait it was gorgeous!! 
She also helped with my bridesmaids dresses - we went with Davinci dresses in Aubergine... I had 4 girls and they all went with different styles. They were beautiful!

Men's Warehouse
Everything went well at Men's Warehouse. We went there because all the guys live in diffent areas and it was easy for them to go locally. We first went during prom season....try not to do that!! It was a mad house! They had good prices and my hubby got the option of a free tux or free suit. The tuxes werThe only $128 so we went with the free suit! The only thing to be aware of is that white vs ivory shirts. The ivory is very yellow... my dress was ivory but we went with the white shirts anyway....

Jewelry - Elizabeths on Elm
Elizabeth's is such a great jewelry store! They have a wide selection to choose from and if you don't find what you are looking for a one of a kind can be made for you. Both Elizabeth and Julia were wonderful to work with.

Registrys - Bed Bath and Beyond and Macys
They were both great overall -- glad I had both for people to choose from. The plus of BBB was that the prices were always the same, no sales - and you could use the 20% off coupons. The minus was that if you wanted to buy several items you would have to have a coupon for each item...
Macys pretty much always has 20% off coupons but their prices changes.. for example Noritake dish set was $39.99 everyday at BBB. It was Originally $80 at Macys and usually on sale for $39.99 or buy one get one free... There were many times that they were not on sale so people would look and see them for $80... the good news was that if you had a coupon it was for the entire order not per item.

ETSY  - online website - If you havent checked out this site you should!! Lots of great ideas for everything!!! I ordered custom made necklaces for each of my bridesmaids from   MADEBYSAM   they are all silver necklaces with silver orchid flowers and stones and initals. I got 4 different styles all that go with the 4 differend dresses. I got to pick each style and the color stone. And they were all about $40 each!!! 

Shoes -- I wanted plum shoes to match the girls dresses.... I found that Payless has dyeables for $44.99. They have swatches in most stores... and if they don't match you can return them to the store, they just sell them. They also have buy one get one and I got a pair of plum flip flops to change into!! They were great!!!

The Knot Webite -- Great deals!
I ordered cooler "duffle bags" for they guys. Its alway tough to find stuff guys will really like... they all loved them said they will actually use it!! I ordered hot sauce with personalized labels for favors for the people who stayed in the hotel. Which was a big hit!!

I got the purple quartz stone...

Re: Vendor reviews

• KimG82KimG82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent you a PM about your JP!
  • crystal5724crystal5724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Same...you have a PM about your JP! 
  • edited December 2011
    I replied with his info to you both!!! : )
  • edited December 2011
    I found your reviews particularly helpful since I am an Executive Court bride too! I refused to use divine linens though, didn't like them when we toured the place  so I asked if they could be switched out for a different company.

I will give Jacques another chance too. I hated their cake sample at a bridal show I went to a while back. Thought it was really dry and tasteless. After your A+, maybe they deserve another shot.

What was your videographer package if you don't mind me asking?Did you choose the documentary type or the cinematic (think that's what it's called)?

Congrats on being married, and glad to hear you had such a wonderful wedding! :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your wedding!!! I had a great time at the Executive Court -- they were very organized and helpful the entire time. I hadn't heard very good reviews about Divine Linens, they were part of the package and I got a really great deal for just the napkins and head table so it was worth it. I've ordered several cakes from Jacques over the past few years and have never been disappointed, I would go there and check them out...For the video she got to me right as I was about to put my dress on and got footage there and stayed well into out dancing... she shot while we were going formal videos and all the important parts of the day. She was probably there about 5-6 hours. She went around to all the tables and people were able to send us messages. I added the video only a few months before the wedding so it wasn't originally in the buget, I saved a few other places and found her style and quality to be what I wanted for the money. We paid $950.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Divine Linens and I have to agree...getting through to them and communicating was aweful.  The end result was beautiful but I always felt like it was impossible to get ahold of them.  Jacques is by far the best cake I have ever tasted.  I tried Fredericks and found the cake there to be dry and the buttercream far too sweet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    As far as cakes I agree... I've had a few Fredricks cakes and they were always really dry. I hear that they freeze their cakes.... I ran into someone who worked at Jacques and they said they never freeze their cakes.
  • stina1119Lstina1119L member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was disappointed with Fredericks cakes as well.  We went to sample and I thought they were very dry and the flavors didn't really pop out.  We are going to try Jacques next.  I like that Fredericks was very excited about our cupcake idea and had many many ideas that would make the display gorgeous!  I just wish the cake was not so dry.  Also heads up, for anyone who does use Fredericks and gets cupcakes, they do not have display stands.  They told me to ask my venue, who also does not have one and told me to ask the bakery.  In the end I'd have to buy something which for almost 100 cupcakes is close to $200 on top of the $500 for the cupcakes. 

I am using PJs florals in Bedford as well.  They are about 2 miles from our venue, Bedford Village Inn, and Patrick just seems like an amazing guy who LOVES his work.  I was happy with his pricing so far and how detail oriented he is, right up to he personally goes and sets up your centerpieces in your venue, he does not leave it up to the venue to get it right.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards