Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Work type of question

I need some advice on how to handle this situation.

Ive been at my new job for less than 2 months. I was hired as the Office Administrator (its a SMALL office that also has a production area and warehouse in the back), who was taking over the admin work from the guy who had been there 9 years and wanted to focus more on sales and less on admin. This guy ended up finding a different job and gave his notice on monday and I was informed this week that I will be in charge of the office, all production (scheduling and all that stuff) and then any in house sales that will come in. In the discussion with my boss, I did not ask if I was going to get a raise as I felt very awkward doing so since ive only been there a monthand a half. I feel like it would come off as greedy or reaching, but I dont know if this is right or wrong? He said we would be rediscussing my position/situation "in the new year" to assess how im doing, and I took that to mean that we would discuss my income then.

Seeing as how I will have added responsibilities, I know typically I would be entitled to more money, but seeing as how im so new and only really being given these responsibilities out of necessity, I dont know if Ive essentially earned a raise.  My aunt says that im being taken advantage of and need to ask, but my husband  (and I) think it is too soon and I should wait.

Waht is the right answer here? Do you possibly have ANY advice regarding this situation?

Re: Work type of question

• Options
    What about waiting a month or so to really see how much extra work it is, and if you can really say that it is, then approach your boss about it?  You could even admit how awkward you feel coming to him about it if you thought that would be the right approach.  I don't think it's fair to give you all of these added responsibilities and not assess it until the new year, that's 7 months from now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    what is "the new year"? a lot of business have different "years".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:d291d513-3aa1-41a2-a4d4-4fa5df90dede">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree, wait and see how much work it is going to be and bring it up in a few months or so to your boss as a "So I know we'd discuss my position in the new year, but with the new responsibilities, I wondered if we could do it earlier" type of way.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

That's a good way to approach it too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The reason men typically make more money then woman is because they aren't afraid to ask for it.  I personally would get my feet under me for a month or so and prove I could handle the job, as well as a better understanding of all that is involved and then proceed accordingly.  I would not wait until the "new year" to discuss a salary increase though. 
  • Options
    i know our "new year" is July 1.  if yours is, then this seems reasonable since that gives you a month to settle in and for both of you to see if it works.

but i agree, defintiely ask.

a good book all of you shoudl read is "Women Don't Ask".  its all about this very thing - how women in many ways have held themselves back financially in the workplace in terms of money, promotions, etc.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:d291d513-3aa1-41a2-a4d4-4fa5df90dede">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree, wait and see how much work it is going to be and bring it up in a few months or so to your boss as a "So I know we'd discuss my position in the new year, but with the new responsibilities, I wondered if we could do it earlier" type of way.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]
    I like that idea, thank you!

Sorry to post and run, I have to go to work now and my internet time is limited there :(
  • Options
    So, they aren't going to hire someone else to do this job with you, it's all you now?

Yeah, I'd give it a couple of months and then ask for a raise.  It's not right that you should be given extra work to do, and nothing to recompense.
  • Options

I would document all of the extra work that you've been performing.  Do this just for yourself, so that you will remember when the time comes to bring it up.  Usually if you are waiting to discuss it, many of the extras you pick up will be forgotten that they are extras....they just become part of your job and you forget that it's not always been that way.  Give it about 3 months, then approach your boss with  a list of things you've accomplished.  Then mention that with the accomplishments, and the new responsibilities, you would like to discuss a salary increase. 

It is much harder to squash the idea of a raise when your employees come to you with a solid reason for giving them one. Good Luck!!  I hope you get a giant raise!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Was anything mentioned of a 90-day review or anything? If so, you could mention it like that.  Or, approach your boss after 90 or 120 days, and just say, "Hey, I was just hoping we could touch base real quick. I've been here for X amount of days and just want to see if we're on the same page with things.  Have you noticed anything I could improve in?" Get into a discussion about your work progress, and then just mention that you've taken on additional responsiblities as well.  You're showing that you're genuinly concerned about your work.  Worse that can happen... he says no, right?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I would position the discussion more as "what are my new duties" instead of "I need more money."

Have your boss outline all your new responsibilities, figure out what you're going to be doing, and after you've been performing those duties for 2 months or so, have another meeting with her. Say something along the lines that you're now doing XX more things than you did when you were hired, and with those new responsibiliites and duties, you feel like you deserve more money.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:1e3eb7b8-914b-4495-9002-047d10a65a85">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]The reason men typically make more money then woman is because they aren't afraid to ask for it.  I personally would get my feet under me for a month or so and prove I could handle the job, as well as a better understanding of all that is involved and then proceed accordingly.  I would not wait until the "new year" to discuss a salary increase though. 
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

sorry to go off topic- but on average, a woman starts out at 70 cent to every man's dollar.  Could be 80 cents now..
  • Options
    I thikn you deserve an adjustment. You were hired for a certain position and the compensation was based on those job duties. Now you are in an entirely different position, so the compensation needs to be based on that position. It shouldn't be as much as the incumbent was making because he has been there for 9 years, but it should be more than what they hired you at. I wouldn't be afraid to ask for an adjustment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I would tell him that you would like to speak to him regarding the new work load you have taken on for him.  When you are talking to him in private about what he expects, I would ask what the pay raise will be, and if it would be effective the day that you started the new position.  I wouldn't be shy about it though, although it is a strange situation. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers in progess... Planning bio
  • Options
    I think I would wait.  If you take the new duties and are amazing with them, you'll be in a better position to negotiate a raise after you've demonstrated your success.  Does that make sense?
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I'd wait a couple of months to see what the work will be, how much there is and how I'm doing with it.  Like Sprite said, it will then give you some leverage.  I think it is better to be able to go in and say something like "I've been doing the extra work (and I like the idea of documenting extra hours, etc.) and have accomplished XYZ" and bring up the pay situation. 

Seriously, no one else is looking out for you, so you have to advocate for yourself!
  • Options
    sorry to go off topic- but on average, a woman starts out at 70 cent to every man's dollar.  Could be 80 cents now..

women on average make less not because we are women, but because women are more likely to take extended periods of time off during their career for family, are less likely to go for higher paying jobs because of family, and are more likely to have to start over or take jobs they might not really want due to relocation (seems like many families move for the husband's job, but rarely for teh woman's job).   but again, that's average - you have the family women included in there as well as the non-family women.  you take a man and a woman going for the same job with the same amoutn of experience and equivalent education they are going to make the same rate of pay.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:32895139-6aa6-4c71-8eda-1f44da957b1d">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]sorry to go off topic- but on average, a woman starts out at 70 cent to every man's dollar.  Could be 80 cents now.. women on average make less not because we are women, but because women are more likely to take extended periods of time off during their career for family, are less likely to go for higher paying jobs because of family, and are more likely to have to start over or take jobs they might not really want due to relocation (seems like many families move for the husband's job, but rarely for teh woman's job).   but again, that's average - you have the family women included in there as well as the non-family women.  <strong>you take a man and a woman going for the same job with the same amoutn of experience and equivalent education they are going to make the same rate of pay.
    Posted by</strong> Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

No. They are not.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:0d250ec3-1e42-47ce-a73a-54c27f60ea5c">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I would wait.  If you take the new duties and are amazing with them, you'll be in a better position to negotiate a raise after you've demonstrated your success.  Does that make sense?
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]

-100% agree with this.  If you wait until you have proven yourself, you'll be in a better position for salary negotations.  Put everything in writing.  This is what I was hired to do vs. this is what I am currently doing and this is how I am exceeding at what I am currently doing (adding metrics and specfic examples always helps).  By  having it documented, your boss is able to review it all clearly and can also show it to any higher up that may need to approve your raise.

I would take this as an opportunity to kicka$$ at a position that is higher than you were hired for. 

GL!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:32895139-6aa6-4c71-8eda-1f44da957b1d">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]sorry to go off topic- but on average, a woman starts out at 70 cent to every man's dollar.  Could be 80 cents now.. women on average make less not because we are women, but because women are more likely to take extended periods of time off during their career for family, are less likely to go for higher paying jobs because of family, and are more likely to have to start over or take jobs they might not really want due to relocation (seems like many families move for the husband's job, but rarely for teh woman's job).   but again, that's average - you have the family women included in there as well as the non-family women.  you take a man and a woman going for the same job with the same amoutn of experience and equivalent education they are going to make the same rate of pay.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking of writing the same thing.  I wish it was so simple as "employers are sexist, so women make less than men," but it's not.  I have yet to be offered a salary less than what my male equivalents make.  It's not our gender but the career choices women make that result in most of the disparity in income.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:1f7db2d8-e51b-40e5-a2d8-9deafcacc954">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Work type of question : I was just thinking of writing the same thing.  I wish it was so simple as "employers are sexist, so women make less than men," but it's not.  I have yet to be offered a salary less than what my male equivalents make.  It's not our gender but the career choices women make that result in most of the disparity in income.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Nope. Well yeah sure about the career choices, but I am talking if Joe and I go for same job with same everything, he will probably get paid more.

<em>the wage gap affects college graduates. Wage disparities kick in shortly after college graduation, when women and men should, absent discrimination, be on a level playing field. One year after graduating college, women are paid on average only 80 percent of their male counterparts' wages, and during the next 10 years, women's wages fall even further behind, dropping to only 69 percent of men's earnings ten years after college.</em>
    <a href="http://www.now.org/issues/economic/factsheet.html">http://www.now.org/issues/economic/factsheet.html</a>

<strong>The glass ceiling my friend. The glass ceiling.</strong>
  • Options
    Oh and how do you know what your male equivalent makes? Did you ask the employer? Of course they will tell you that.

In my grad program one of my classes was working on a social change project. For this project we were trying to advocate for equal pay. For a little research, male and female students, about the same age, experience, etc, applied to jobs and talked about sallary. The men were literally told more money. Literally.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:32895139-6aa6-4c71-8eda-1f44da957b1d">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]sorry to go off topic- but on average, a woman starts out at 70 cent to every man's dollar.  Could be 80 cents now.. women on average make less not because we are women, but because women are more likely to take extended periods of time off during their career for family, are less likely to go for higher paying jobs because of family, and are more likely to have to start over or take jobs they might not really want due to relocation (seems like many families move for the husband's job, but rarely for teh woman's job).   but again, that's average - you have the family women included in there as well as the non-family women.  <strong>you take a man and a woman going for the same job with the same amoutn of experience and equivalent education they are going to make the same rate of pay</strong>.

Not always true but should be.  After I had been at my 1st job for a year they were hiring someone else who was a man and were going to pay him more because he was a man until my female boss said she wouldn't stadn for it especially since by then I had 1 year expereince and he had 0.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:340fcc0b-245a-495f-8306-02240f73a987">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and how do you know what your male equivalent makes? Did you ask the employer? Of course they will tell you that. In my grad program one of my classes was working on a social change project. For this project we were trying to advocate for equal pay. For a little research, male and female students, about the same age, experience, etc, applied to jobs and talked about sallary. The men were literally told more money. Literally.
    Posted by kkchisholm[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes, as I am on the partner track, there's complete transparency in earnings in my group.  I make as much as males in my group with the same training and education and experience.  Our compensation committee sets the rate of raises for all full-time employees until they make partner, then it's all based on productivity.  All productivity is posted so that we can all see how everyone else is doing.  I have only worked in very large groups, but at this level, there are rigid standards that corporations and instituations need to follow.

I know that this is not the case in smaller companies, but in most public companies, there is equal pay for equal work.  The difference in pay comes from the fact that women often choose "pink collar" jobs that pay less (think HR, education, social work, nursing) and from the fact that women often put their personal lives first (take time off for children, less extracurricular committee work that could make the difference between promotion and not, transferring jobs to follow husband's career). 
  • Options
    the wage gap affects college graduates. Wage disparities kick in shortly after college graduation, when women and men should, absent discrimination, be on a level playing field. One year after graduating college, women are paid on average only 80 percent of their male counterparts' wages, and during the next 10 years, women's wages fall even further behind, dropping to only 69 percent of men's earnings ten years after college.
    http://www.now.org/issues/economic/factsheet.html

and again, shortly after college, many women get married.  they may be marryign someone they went to college with, and they are forced to make a choice on where to live based on who has a job or who has the job that pays the most.  and, over than 10 year period, tehy surely will start having their kids.  more and more moms are actually staying home today - a surprising reverse in trend.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:6bb4a18a-7e7c-40d5-9482-324525a9099c">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Work type of question : Actually, yes, as I am on the partner track, there's complete transparency in earnings in my group.  I make as much as males in my group with the same training and education and experience.  Our compensation committee sets the rate of raises for all full-time employees until they make partner, then it's all based on productivity.  All productivity is posted so that we can all see how everyone else is doing.  I have only worked in very large groups, but at this level, there are rigid standards that corporations and instituations need to follow. I know that this is not the case in smaller companies, but in most public companies, there is equal pay for equal work.  The difference in pay comes from the fact that women often choose "pink collar" jobs that pay less (think HR, education, social work, nursing) and from the fact that women often put their personal lives first (take time off for children, less extracurricular committee work that could make the difference between promotion and not, transferring jobs to follow husband's career). 
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Still I think you're wrong. Even if it's equal in your company. As I said before my classmates applied to jobs, and the men got told a higher pay rate. This was in several types of jobs: social services, huge companies, etc.

If a man and a woman choose "pink collar jobs" the man would still be offered more in many many many cases.

I said before I can see carreer differences, but when it comes to the same exact job at the same exact company with the same exact qualification, the man gets more.
  • Options

throw kids and family out. single man and single woman- man gets more.

• Options
    i disagree.
  • Options

Mica, I'm not sure what field you're in, but I agree with kk.

You said "partner track," which made me think maybe you are a lawyer like me.  Sure, in big firms WE make the same as men, but we know what everyone makes in different markets, in our offices and hey, we're lawyers and not afraid to sue for discrimination.  We have some of the best maternity leave policies for the same reason--don't f with female lawyers.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:d93bed55-93db-4f4b-85ad-5738fec4ba0d">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]i disagree.

Statistically, starting out, women get paid more than 20% less than men, same job or not. There really isn't much to dissagree with.

That 20% is a white woman to a white man. its much much more for a woman who is not white. Are you dissagreeing with the existance of discrimination? That's one of the reasons it still exist.

And of course, this an average. I of course know that women can make as much, or much more than men in many situations, but that's the exception, not the rule.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-type-of-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e4461fc2-3ea2-4db5-9332-a765b570c649Post:db21227d-4f9c-4357-9865-e2dd699b3be7">Re: Work type of question</a>:
    [QUOTE]could be the school  or the degree.  sure, you can both have a bachelors, but if yours is in liberal arts from a state school, and the guy has a bachelors from an ivy league school in a difficult subject then he would be worth more. They wouldn't hire me for that job.  They like to have "male role models" in that position.  They are a bunch of a$$holes.  Pompous a$$holes to be exact. if someone actually said this, you have a great case.  that IS discrimination.

We were very careful about this. Same gradute school, with the same degree, graduating the same year, around the same age, with same undergrad degree, with about the same work experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards