September 2012 Weddings
Options

Caterer question

Did you try all of your menu items you selected or just a selection?  I'm such a control freak, I feel like I need to try all of our selections, but I don't know if this is reasonable.  Thoughts??  What did you do? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Caterer question

• Options
    We haven't had our tasting yet, but we can pick what we want to try. I don't feel the need to try everything but I'm interested in trying the hors d'oeuvres and late night snacks. Beef and chicken are beef and chicken hahaha
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I want everything I love in CA that I can't have in MT (unless I ship it and make it myself)  It's BBQ style.  IDK if we'll have a tasting or not.  I guess we'll see in March when I go home.

Dinner:
    Tri-Tip
    Sourdough Bread
    some kind of potato (FI is a meat-n-potatoes man)
    some kind of veggie

Cocktail Hour:
    Linguica
    Fresno State Sausages
    Taco Works Tortilla Chips
    Sal's Salsa
    Montana Breadsticks on the tables

I would LOVE In-N-Out Burger for a late night snack, but I don't think it will happen

Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Options
    Any tasting seems to be less common it seems in smaller communities in Wisconsin. The place we went through only allows us to taste certain foods and on days they already have a wedding. We actually get to do it three times. Last Saturday was our first tasting. They set us up in the restaurant that is attached to the hall. The tasting was fun but it sucks we can not taste it all at once and figure out our meal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    We had a tasting where we tasted a variety of appetizers, salads, main dishes and sides. While many of them were the same as what will be on the final menu not all are. For us though, we felt like we got such a good sense of the high quality of the food we don't need to go back to taste the items on the final menu that we have not had yet.
  • Options
    our caterer gave us their menu... told us to pick 2 salads, 2 entrees and a vegetarian option.  along with 2 sides.  we aren't doing a vegetarian entree so we tried a chicken a beef and a fish, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies and a citrus salad and a pear feta salad.  i wish we had been able to try some hors dourves though.
    January Siggy ****weight loss**** image Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I emailed my contact at my venue to ask how the tasting works a week or so ago. She told me the way it works is she makes a reservation at their restaurant (there's a restaurant open to the public attached to the venue) for us. Then we tell her which entrees we want to try (1 per person), and essentially our entire meal is comped. If we wanted to try more than just 2, we'd have to bring other people with us (like my parents) and they have to pay for their meal.

I thought this was really strange. I envisioned a tasting to be a sampling of all or most of the entrees we have to choose from. Especially since there's a lot to choose from. How are we supposed to decide by only tasting 2 of them? But maybe this is more common than I think, I dunno.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Our venue is my parent's country club.  I've had their food a million times over the years.  However, they do not allow for tastings, which I am not thrilled about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    I'm waiting for an email back from my contact, but the way I think it works is that 4 of us come for free to their brunch (they do weddings and all but also always have a brunch buffet on sundays). We can have anything we want from the brunch, and then they will bring over samples of our apps and entres for us to pick from.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    The caterer I think we're booking doesn't allow tastings.  They "rely on word of mouth," which I think is a sh!tty policy.  I've had their food numerous times for other events, but I obviously only had what other people selected.  I've also heard recently that their chef changed, which makes me a little nervous.
    September 2012 Brides March siggy challenge: Fav registry item so far...Bunn Coffee Maker!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Our caterer is a restaurant we eat at a lot. We know all their food, so a tasting wasn't necessary for us.
  • Options
    we're having a buffet and the closest thing to a tasting is going there for their lunch buffet. The catering is being done by a chain of resteraunts here similar to the keg and the food is always good so I'm just trusting it. My only concern is that it's hot enough and I will have a conversation with the banquet manager about this closer to the wedding.
  • Options
    Ok, sounds like no one is trying everything on their menu.  I feel somewhat better now.  We have tried both salads, one of the soups, two out of four of the entrees, and one of our desserts so far and everything was good.  We are going to try our other two entrees over the next week or so too.  I am still thinking I want to try the other desserts though too.  I haven't tried any of the appetizers, but I think that will be ok.  Pretty hard to mess up an antipasto platter, brushetta, and veggie kabobs.  LOL! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards