Jewish Weddings

Is this wedding day ok?

My FI is jewish and I am not religious at all, so we have decided to have a jewish wedding.  We have found a place, but haven't decided upon a rabbi yet.  I did a lot of research online, and it seems like the date we chose will be ok for a Jewish wedding, but now that we are signing the contract I am getting worried that for some reason a Rabbi might not be ok with it.

It's Sunday, September 4, 2011.  It seems to steer clear of all the holidays, and is a Sunday, so I can't see anything wrong with it.  Does this seem ok?  I don't entirely understand the Jewish calendar/holidays...

Re: Is this wedding day ok?

• edited December 2011
    Looks great to me! The next Jewish holiday is Rosh Hashanah and that's not until the end of Sept.

Congrats and happy planning  :)
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may want to get the rabbi before signing a contract on the venue.  Finding a rabbi to perform an interfaith wedding is often difficult.  Even if there is nothing wrong wit the date from a Jewish perspective, you don't want to sign the contract and only then discover that the only rabbi in the area who performs interfaith weddings is unavailable that day.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! My FI and I are both pretty religious and we are getting married on September 4, 2011. It's a good date because its a Sunday (no breaking Shabbat) and there are no holidays that it conflicts with. Go for it! Also, if you have a lot of out of town guests (we do) they will love having an extra day to travel without having to take time off of work.
    Mazel tov!
    September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Picture Of Your Engagement Ring
    From Wedding Website Slide Show
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Website
  • edited December 2011

FI and I are getting married on Sept. 5th of this year (so basically the same day, only a year apart) and we had no problem with the date.  We did however have a hard time finding a rabbi to marry us since I'm Jewish and FI is not.  As our rabbi said, it's a great time to do a wedding cause you're beginning the new year with a happy event!

At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Well, you have confirmation with the date.  I agree that you should have a rabbi lined up first, but if you are okay getting married here whether or not it'll be by a rabbi or just some other officiant, then by all means sign!  GL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards