Wedding Etiquette Forum

If you could go or go back to school...

What would you major in? Would you stick with what you did originally or would you change? Why? Is there a certain career you want that means you'd need a certain degree or would it just be something to have?

TELL ME!

Re: If you could go or go back to school...

• I would change my major from accounting to writing, I really want to write and I hate accounting. That is my dream. Wish I hadn't waited so long to decide that but better late than never.
  • I would go for Health Care Administration.  I love being in Healthcare and have gotten pretty far up the corporate ladder, but it has taken me years to get this far.
  • I majored in history and I'm happy with that decision. I probably should have double majored because I had time on my hands. 

I would change what I did for grad school though. I did an MA in history when I should have gotten a master's in library science. I might still go back and do that someday. 
  • I think I'd probably stick with engineering - I'm good at it, and it pays well.  HOWEVER it is a huge PIA, so as much as I loved college I'm glad to be done with it....
  • If teaching doesn't work out I'd love to go into social work and do something with children.
  • I just finished a masters in Education. I hope to teach high school English. I wouldn't change that at all. However, in a few years, if I have the money, I would love to go get a masters in either playwriting or acting. Playwriting is something I absolutly love to do, took a few courses in undergrad. I'd love to do more of that. And acting is my passion and was my minor in undergrad. I'd have majored in it but chose education as the more stable career choice, oops!

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I've thought about going back on a couple of occasions to get an MEd + certification and become a teacher because my journalism degree has proven generally worthless, but it's a lot of money to spend to possibly get into a career with worse prospects than mine (high school english)

Like rachers, I've definitely thought about hospitality as well. I could definitely see myself as the event coordinator for a venue somewhere; it's something I really enjoy.

Mostly I just want something a bit more "boots on the ground" where I get to talk to people as opposed to living half my life in a little cubicle.
    Lizzie
  • Funny, I'm back in school fulltime while working full time because I didn't like my first career choice.

I work in HR now and am going back to school for it as well. I love it. I'm so much more passionate about HR than I was with retail management.
  • I have a BS in Pre-veterinary and Animal Science.  I love animals tremendously and was planning on applying to vet school when I realized how much vet school was in comparison to how much veterinarians actually make.  It was a pretty heartbreaking reality.  Even veterinarians I worked for said how it wasn't worth it.  I now work doing cancer research which I love but am missing seeing "patients."

If I could go back I would do pre-med.  I essentially have a pre-med background, just all animal related electives.  I'm planning on going back to a community college to get the human  anatomy, etc. then go back to school to get into the medical field.  
  • I had three majors: art history, English, and political science.  I almost had a philosophy minor as well, but it annoyed me so I dropped it.  If I could do it again, I would have stuck with art history, dropped poli sci altogether, minored in English to keep me entertained and then probably minored in either French or German.  I would have been able to go to graduate school to get my PhD in art history.  Instead, I'm currently finishing up law school.  It's fine and pays more, but it can get annoying and there are a lot of social games you have to play.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would love to go back and get my Elementary Ed certification. That and/or my masters in education.
  • My degree is in Finance and I'm happy with my decision. But if I could go back I would have made up my mind early. I started in Psychology, then switched to Marketing, and then switched to Finance.

If I would have made up my mind the first time I would have graduated in 4 years (instead of 6) and with a lot less debt. I have been accepted into a graduate program for Project Management. I'll go back after the wedding and after I paid back student loans.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • I majored in philosophy and public relations in undergrad, and then got a law degree.  If I could go back and do undergrad over, I would've majored in Spanish instead of PR, since I don't use that degree at all, and Spanish would definitely be more helpful for me professionally.  Also, I'd really, really like to get my PhD in criminal justice... that's still a possibility, but it's at least five years away, if ever.  I like being an attorney well enough, but I think I'd rather be a college professor.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I am currently back in school. I did my undergrad studies in international business/economics, and I realized before I even graduated that it wasn't a field I wanted to work in long term.  I spent the next five years figuring out what I DID want to do for a career (bounced around between library science, museum studies, conservation, and rare books curation) before starting my masters. Now I'm studying public relations/corporate communications and I love it. I hope I can combine that with my love of history to do PR for a museum or library someday.
    So far, being a Gray is pretty awesome. image
  • I majored in Mass Communications. I did it because I was going to work in radio and make zero money and be happy. Well, I ended up not doing that. Now I'm in a crappy job because I had to get out of radio kinda quick and still needed to be making money. I'm thinking about going back, but not sure what for.

I have no idea what I want to do with my life. =(
  • I majored in biology and minored in chemistry. I was originally a double major, and I probably should have left it that way. I'm only 2 classes short of a chem major. But, since I'm about to start medical school, I'm pretty happy with how everything has turned out. I can't wait to get back to school. I like my job, but I miss learning so much.
  • I majored in Psych. Originally majored in Dance but didn't like the program I was in. If I could go back, I would have gone to a different school and stayed in Dance. But now that I'm in law school, I'm also really happy with where my career path is going.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_if-you-could-go-or-go-back-to-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7be94a6c-5f21-435f-ad39-c4cd83451792Post:49b89467-27c7-466d-a8ce-78255f87c855">Re: If you could go or go back to school...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I majored in Mass Communications. I did it because I was going to work in radio and make zero money and be happy. Well, I ended up not doing that. Now I'm in a crappy job because I had to get out of radio kinda quick and still needed to be making money. I'm thinking about going back, but not sure what for. <strong>I have no idea what I want to do with my life. =(</strong>
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel like many, many people have no clue about what they want to do in life.  You aren't alone!  I have many "great ideas" but who knows if they will pan out.  The fact that you actually wanted to do something at one point is loads better than a lot of people.</div>
  • I majored in Electrical Engineering. I do not regret my choice, because it landed me this awesome, well-paying job, but if I went back to school it's be for something easy. I honestly don't know what for, though, because I love what I do. Actually, I'd probably major in manufacturing engineering, because that's what my job is.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • I got my B.A. in Journalism (big mistake -- as much as I loved it I've done jack shiit with it), and went back for my M.A. in History.  No regrets there, I only wish I had started with History when I was in undergrad.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• If I had to do it all over again or was financially able to go back, I'd do one of 2 very different things: computer science or law. As it stands, I majored in mechanical engineering but that's not what I do for a career.
  • I did leave school for a bit and re-evaluate my career path choice.  I switched from being an english major to taking my design course that gave me my current career.  I think it's pretty sweet.  I'd go back for my masters, but I don't really need to and I'd rather stay current in the field by working in it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd either go back for my PhD in structural engineering or get my teaching license to teach high school math/science.
  • I have to say, reading everyone else's posts makes me feel better about the fact that I didn't get it "right" the first time around.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • kpdorrkpdorr member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I am a registered dietitian so my BS is in Nutrition and Food Science, and I am currently getting my MBA because work is paying for it, but if I had to do it all over again I think I'd go a bit more medical and go for physical therapy or maybe a PA or MD?? I actually love my job, but the earning potential just isn't there!
  • I had a BA in Environmental Studies and an MSc in Sustainable Development.  Neither apply to my job, but the fact that I had such an interesting masters and the university where I got it helped me get this job.

I'd like either a business degree or a non-profit management degree in addition to these.  I don't think I'll go back to school any time soon (still paying off a ridiculous amount of debt as it is) but taking a few event planning, business, or non-profit administration classes could be in my future.  Emphasis on could.
    Photobucket
  • If I had the smarts and the ability to withstand doing surgery or whatnot, I would have loved to be a vet.
  • I'd love to go back and get my master's in UX design or Human-computer Interactions.

If I could do my major over, and making a living wasn't an issue, I'd want to do writing/literature double major or graphic design major with computer science minor.  All things I love but probably would have a hard time getting paid (well) for.

(I majored in Computer science, minored mathematics.)
  • I really wish I didn't go to law school...While I love being an attorney, I could have gotten a paralegal certification or a master's in history/political science/ or anything else, but not have the massive loan debt I have now. It is sad knowing I will never pay it off, instead in 20 years the government will forgive it- I hate that, but that is the only choice I have.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I wish I had gotten my associates (albeit in general studies) about 30 years sooner.  For someone my age getting it now, it is the new high school diploma.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards