Delaware
Options

Registry

Besides BBB where do you recommend setting up a registry? Thanks girls.
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Registry

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Macy's.  Not only do they have a bunch of different items at one store, but they have a rewards program as well.  For as much is spent on your wedding registry by guests, you get 5-7% back in gift cards.  Then you take those gift cards and buy more stuff off your registry and get more gift cards...see how it goes?

BBB also does a referral rewards- whoever you put down gets a 25 dollar GC.

Kohl's is nice too, as they also have a nice selection of items.

We plan on definitely registering at Williams-Sonoma.  We freakin' love that store, and since both FI and I are big into food and baking and such (plus the fact that they have certain items you can't get anywhere else), I think this qualifies as our fave registry place.

If you are out of state and there is a Crate and Barrel around you, that's another one that is very popular with brides, as it's not expensive and they have many choices. SInce your wedding is in NY and I believe there is one around there (the closest one to us is KOP and Balitimore), I would highly suggest this one.  I also would do this one if you have alot of tech saavy guests who do their shopping online, as they can buy off your registry online here.  For us, unfortunately, we don't have many of those guests at all, which I am kind of disappointed about.

If you are looking for nicer items, check out Pottery Barn as well...They have some really nice stuff.

Make sure you do your research about items before going out and putting things on the registry.  For example, FI loves to stick anything and everything in the Dishwasher, a habit he learned from FFIL.  This includes pots and pans, which can be a bad thing, as most non-stick pans are not dishwasher safe- he's ruined a few that way.  So for us, we want to make sure that we either do stainless (which he hates), or a dishwasher safe nonstick (which is reallllly expensive).  We need to decide what we want before we go in, because we know most places don't understand those kinds of things and we don't want to be pushed into registering for something we might regret.

I think that's all...there's a section on TK about registries, and what certain brides registered for and why, and what they skipped and why.  I thought it was actually very informative.  I suggest taking a look at it before going shopping with that gun.
  • Options
    Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow...thanks for all the info. I've never even heard of Williams-Sonoma...Is that like a BBB? FH and I will have to check it out as we are big into cooking and baking ourselves. 
     Oh and what do you think of more then one registry? Whats the most places you recommend registering with?
  • Options
    greenbean951greenbean951 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you're choosing a place to register just make sure it is a place that is available to any out of town guests as well. We chose Macys' (of course!) and Target! Online, Target has TONS more items including furniture, rugs, etc that they don't sell in the store. Also, I find targets item reviews to be extemely helpful especially when choosing electronics or appliances. The one annoying thing about Macy's is that their home section in the store is minimal, even at KOP. When you register for items online with macy's, you have to do it through macysweddingchannel.com and there's only certain items there. For anything else such as lamps, or rugs or even many kitchen items that aren't on the wedding channel you have to print out info on each item and physically take it to a store registry so they can manually add it. It's very time consuming and grueling but it may be worth it in the end for the rewards points...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I registered at BBB and Target.  We didn't get many items from our Target registry.  I wish I had done Macy's, but it was too late.

Williams-Sonoma is partnered with Pottery Barn.  I think there is one by in Concordville, PA.  It's VERY expensive. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So I started my registry on-line with Macys. The 5 piece flatware set I want is $19. I will need atleast 8 of each. That means it will be $152 for 40 pieces. Maybe I'm crazy but that seems like alot. Thoughts?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    that doesn't seem too bad.  I stopped adding to my registry because I felt so greedy asking people to buy us stuff.  I have really expensive taste too, which makes it worse.

I suggest seeing any dishes/flatware/glasses in person because the quality may not be so great in person.  I learned this when I thought I found the perfect dishes, only to hate them in the store!

I have yet to pick dishes (everyday or fine china) or the flatware because I just... couldn't... do... it.  Its painful isnt it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Preface:  Sorry this is so long, I just took my pain meds and they sometimes cause me to ramble.  It's all well-meant though!Cool

First off, Williams-Sonoma is high end cookware and kitchen gadgets.  Lura's right, they do tend to run on the expensive side (that's why I am registering there- I could never afford half the stuff myself!).  There is one in the Christiana Mall, in Newark (no sales tax!).  The nice thing about their stuff is it will last forever, so it can be considered an investment.  They have alot of stuff for baking; Brian is HUGE into baking specifically.  Currently (well, since before Christmas), he is drooling over this (there is another one as well, but they don't have it on the website):

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku6892251/?pkey=cbaking-pastry-tools-bakeware|bkwpstpin

He also got the rolling pin he was drooling over as well, for his big Christmas present.  He was very specific in what he wanted (solid maple, rolls independently of the handles, smooth polished surface), and they were the only ones that had it (checked BBB, Macy's, and Kohl's).  It turned out to not be horrible for a solid wooden rolling pin- I only spent around $35 for it; considering that it will last our lifetime and hopefully be passed down, it was well worth it! 

For other cookware, I plan on doing (my only online) registry with Pampered Chef, as I lovelovelove their products.  I grew up using their stoneware, and I will never ever ever downgrade to glass or metal.

Pottery Barn is also on the pricey side, but they are more home furnishings and the like.  They do carry dining ware.  If you can find someone who works there and use their discount, you can go even further (they get 50% off everything; my stepsister used to work there and we would do our parents Christmas presents from there while she was working!).  Their stuff is also of high quality; my dad has both his dining set, his glassware, and his flatware from there.  It's sturdy, lasts well through anything, and the flatware doesn't bend for anything (that's how we test flatware, do the spoons bend?  I know, we are a little kooky!)

I figure with places like Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma, you never know what your guests tend to lean towards for presents.  I know that my mom likes to buy (especially for the shower) items that are unusual or 'wish items'.  My one cousin is into cool art, and we got her a blown glass witches ball (it was quite large.  Think the story of the dreamcatchers, it similar to that for homes) to hang in her home.  My other cousin we got a really cool welcome wooden "arm" to hang outside their home, and then a wooden pineapple sign to hang off of the arm (you can buy other pieces, like hearts and horses and such, to change out the sign off the arm).  Both of them loved the gifts because they were not "typical", and because since neither of them lived away from home before getting married, they loved that they now had decorative pieces to make their new houses homes.

In terms of registering online, I have to say that I am NOT a fan of doing it online.  I know, shocker in this day and age.  I am a go to the store and feel everything out in person- take your flatware, for example.  I want to be able to test it to make sure it doesn't bend where the handle meets the head.  Unfortunately, even if it's a reputable brand name, some of those still bend.  So I would want to do stuff like that in the store, to make sure it's worthy.  I want to register for things that last- I don't want to waste my guests money.  Obviously, there are items that can be registered for online, but make sure you are definitely sure about them- if not, head to the store.

As for Target, I have heard not great things about their registry (my cousin did them and was NOT happy at all with how it worked and how they were treated);  I was really upset to hear that, because I lovelovelove that store.  I have heard wonderful things about Wal-Mart's registry, surprisingly.  If you want to do a 'discount store', I would suggest Wal-Mart.

Remember you can also do Honeymoon Registries.  For example, MrsJax went to DisneyWorld for her honeymoon, and it's the top choice right now for us too.  Disney will set up a "Disney-moon Registry" where your guests can "buy" certain events/activities/items.  So one might recieve a carriage ride ($30), a massage ($100), and a dinner at a casual restaurant ($50) (I made up pricing).  The nice thing, though, is that the amount of money is transferable- so if the couple decides they want to do a fancy restaurant and not do a carriage ride, they can apply that $30 and $50 to a fancy meal.  I think it's neat how they apply an "item" to the amount donated; it makes it seem more personable.  There are other websites that will allow you to register your honeymoon as well for the typical places couples go (like the AI resorts).

As for the flatware set you registered for, that may be a little high, but the nice thing about the way it's done is it's like china- one guest doesn't have to buy the entire set, they can by a place setting (or two or however many they want).  Just remember that you may not get the entire set as a present, so be prepared to buy the extras.  You might check out Macy's for this as well.  My mom got herself a new set (12 full place settings) there, a really nice one, for around $125.  Since it was all together, you don't have to worry about not getting enough place settings.  And $125 for that many pieces isn't horrible at all- I know guests who have spent waaay more.  Plus, Macy's has sales and coupons enough that if they really wanted to get that for you, they could save some on it. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

No way am I registering with Wal-mart. Everything I currently own is from there! Wink

I'd imagine the more money you spend the higher quality so I probably shouldnt let the price bother me. Like you said Brit...expensive but will probably last me a lifetime.  The online customer reviews really did help with the few items I did select but I also agree I need to get to the store and physically view these items in person. Shopping on-line was way to overwhelming anyways so yes a trip to the store is very much needed.

Thanks for your input girls...I feel a little bit better about it now...but yes I still think its gonna be slightly painful.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    And Brittany just burned out her keyboard LOL...

Smile
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol It took me about a half hour to read through it bc my son was craving my attention the whole time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards