Military Brides

Vow Renewal Ettiquette

Hey ladies! DH and I have a wedding planned and paid for on April 10th of this year. However, due to a few complications with officiants and military details we realized that we needed to get married beforehand, so we got married in a civil ceremony this past weekend. So we're changing our planned wedding a vow renewal with a reception. 

Both sets of parents and our wedding party know about this, as well as our friend/officiant who will be performing the vow renewal ceremony in April and this week we are sending out an announcement to our guests explaining the situation.

As far as technicalities go (vow renewal vs wedding), we're all set. But I have a question about changing some details from being particular to a wedding to a vow renewal. My dad was originally going to walk me down the aisle and give me away, but since DH and I are already married, is this still appropriate?

Also, at the end of the ceremony, when the officiant typically announces that we're husband and wife and introduces us as "Mr. and Mrs. Blank,"...is this still appropriate? What changes should we make?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Visit Military.weddings.com

image 155 Invited
image 102 Attending
image 40 Regrets
image 13 Awaiting Reply
RSVP Date: March 11

Re: Vow Renewal Ettiquette

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would ask the officiant, I'm sure he's done vow renewals before and probably has a better idea of what to announce. 

As for your dad walking you down the aisle, to me it seems pointless since you're already married, but I guess it depends on what kind of day you're already having.  For a vow renewal I would never be wearing a big white dress and doing all the traditional wedding things, so I wouldn't do it.  But if you're already doing all that, what difference does it make to do one more?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congratulations!

You can word the invitations differently to indicate that it's a vow renewal, like I wouldn't recommend saying your parents invite you to witness...blah blah blah... since you're already married, I feel it's probably appropriate that you both be doing the inviting.

So something like this:

"Jane and Joe
    Together with their Families
    Invite you to Join them to celebrate their marriage
    as they renew their vows"

You can have your Dad walk you down the aisle if you want, but perhaps not the "hand off", but rather a hug and kiss at the end and he can sit down and you walk the rest of the way yourself?  You can do it however you want to, really.  Some people might think it's weird, but at the end of the day, no matter what you do with a vow renewal after JOP'ing, some people are going to judge you.  Just be sure everyone knows what's going on, and then do what makes you both happy.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Calindi,
    Our invitations were  sent out about a month ago and DH and I just got married this weekend, so changing inviations isn't really an option. However, we are sending out an announcement this week explaining the situation to our guests.

What are some ways we should change our traditionally planned wedding ceremony into a vow renewal ceremony?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit Military.weddings.com

image 155 Invited
    image 102 Attending
    image 40 Regrets
    image 13 Awaiting Reply
    RSVP Date: March 11
  • JynxeyJynxey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think since it is all happening so quickly you really don't need to change a lot. Wear your big white dress, have your dad walk you down the isle, and be announced. I don't think any of that is pointless, those are really nice things to have and I would be sad missing out on them all. Sometimes life gives you hiccups, and that by no means you shouldn't be able to have your dream wedding. I would definitely still talk to the person performing the wedding and tell them what is going on, and see what advice they have. But, over all it's your wedding and you can do whatever you would like to.

Congratulations on getting married and your upcoming wedding/vow renewal! 
  • edited December 2011

Best advice I can give you, is to talk to your officiant, and to be upfront with everyone. It sounds like you are being honest and not hiding anything from your guests which is excellent!! Congrats on both!!

Photobucket
  • Aja FergusonAja Ferguson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should do what you want!
    My husband and I both military got married 3 yrs ago here in Hawaii. We are moving back to the states at the end of this year and we are going to have our "big" wedding next May on our anniversary. I am going to do everything, from bridesmaids to a wedding dress. I agree that life throws us different directions and not everyone is able to have a traditional wedding the first time. It will be a very special moment for us because we were unable to express our vows etc. In front of the people that we love. We have wanted this and our able to do it so why not do it big. I deserve my dream wedding just like you do, regardless if I did already get married due to personal life situations. Do you girl..Have fun and congrats!!
    BTW we are putting "Join us for our Wedding Celebration"  on our invites and save the dates.
  • edited December 2011
    do what you are comfortable with.
    If you already have everything in place for a big day and that is what you want then go with it. I remember going to a couples vow renewal, they did it big and it was a joy to celebrate with them and see the love that they share. make it ya'lls day, have fun, and celebrate being married.
    Brittany and Matthew December 28 USAF- Proud Fianc? Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards