Retro and Vintage Weddings

Gone with the wind Theme

Hey all, I;m new to this board but I wanted to get some ideas.  FH and I are having an Irish meets Gone With The Wind inspired wedding.  Colors are cream, light green and gold.  My dress is ivory lace.  Any ideas (hair, make up, cute table numbers, etc ) from the Civil War time period would be great! Thanks!

Re: Gone with the wind Theme

• -You could use characters from GWTW for table names
    - I would def use Vivien Leigh as an inspiration for your hair/beauty
    http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=651&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=%22vivien+leigh%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=
    -parasols for the BM's would be cute!
    -the gray and black Rhett Butler tuxedo for the men
  • Maybe you could name your tables after popular characters in the book or after famous people of the time or civil war battles or something. Although Civil War battles might be a bit morbid for a wedding unless you're big history buffs.

Instead of carrying flowers your BMs could carry fans, and your food could totally be awesoem down home southern fare. Like mint julips, fried catfish and other super awesome comfort foods.
    White Knot
  • Found some pretty cake inspirations that might work with your theme!

• Thanks everyone, your ideas are really helpful.  I'm so excited!
  • For inspiration for my Victorian theme, I browsed magazines from the Victorian Trading Company. They have lots of cute knick knacks that gave me great ideas. For our table numbers, we used silhouettes of 1800s couples. 

For hair/makeup, I'd suggest looking into 1860s fashion plates. During the Civil War the ladies wore a lot of long, fat curls. You could probably jazz them up a little if you don't want something as tight/stark as what they usually did. This is what I'm probably doing for my hair. The style is about 20-30 years after yours, but it is a modern spin on an 1800s hair-do. 

What do you have so far? I'd love to hear about your ideas!
    Photobucket
  • Well, we're combining 2 themes: GWTW and Irish (FH and I are both Irish).  My dress is ivory lace, which I thought was appropriate since it was Victorian-esque and the Irish are known for their lace.  Our cake is going to be green with gold accents.  Our favors are going to be mint julep bourbon chocolate truffles that I found online.  The girls in the BP are either going to carry fans or parasols (to save on cost, but have not decided which yet).  I think for our table numbers we might do the silhouette as well.  The girls dresses are going to have pickups in them and FH is going to wear a cut away jacket with ascot and pin striped pants like Rhett did when he first saw Scarlett.  I have some hair pictures on my inspiration board, but I was thinking a low chignon or curls of some sort.  I am unsure how the weather will be since April is finicky, but I don't want to wear my hair down and sweat out the style.  Our guests will be given program fans and the hotel welcome bags will have water bottles, individual packets of lemonade mix, and chocolate covered peans.  Any other suggesstions would be appreciated and thanks so much for all your ideas already!

• Hi! I know I'm late replying to this thread, but I just ran across it tonight...I am also having a Gone With The Wind themed wedding! I am doing the table numbers using characters from the movie (like several people suggested:). My bridesmaids are carrying a parasol and a fan, it's going to be hot in July. At the ceremony, we are giving out a lace handkerchief to each lady and a cigar to each man. I found an amazing harpist who is going to play Tara's theme as I walk down the aisle. My cake is going to be a replica of Tara and my fiance is buiding a replica of the front of Tara for a backdrop for the photo booth. For wedding favors, we collected recipes from each guest and I had a cookbook printed called..Gone With The Wedding..lol
    We're using lots of magnolias and candles. All the bridesmaids are wearing dresses that look like they came from that period with the big hoop skirts:)
    What you have planned so far sounds amazing and I wish you the best of luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In response to:

"Hi! I know I'm late replying to this thread, but I just ran across it tonight...I am also having a Gone With The Wind themed wedding! I am doing the table numbers using characters from the movie (like several people suggested:). My bridesmaids are carrying a parasol and a fan, it's going to be hot in July. At the ceremony, we are giving out a lace handkerchief to each lady and a cigar to each man. I found an amazing harpist who is going to play Tara's theme as I walk down the aisle. My cake is going to be a replica of Tara and my fiance is buiding a replica of the front of Tara for a backdrop for the photo booth. For wedding favors, we collected recipes from each guest and I had a cookbook printed called..Gone With The Wedding..lol
    We're using lots of magnolias and candles. All the bridesmaids are wearing dresses that look like they came from that period with the big hoop skirts:)
    What you have planned so far sounds amazing and I wish you the best of luck!"

That sounds amazing!  I wish I could do the big hoop skirts, but FH wants a more modernized twist to GWTW theme.  I am actually planning on surprising FH with a cigar roller at the reception.  I was planning on walking down the aisle to Tara's theme too! (but I have to check with my church, unless I can have the BP walk down to the theme and me to the traditional bridal march.)  I wanted a Tara shaped cake, and FH put the kibosh on that real quick, but we are still incorporating elements of the south into the day.  For instance, the music for either me or the BP as mentioned before.  The colors of the girls dresses will be green (like Scarlett's eyes), the cigar roller, the mint julep bourbon truffles as favors, and possibly sillouhettes as the table numbers, the girls holding fans instead of flowers(excpet the MHO's-i have 2 lol), and the OOT bags will have lemondae packets and chocolate covered pecans.  If you have any other idead for me, please let me know! I would love to infuse more southern touches into the day- like a horse and carriage instead of a limo!
  • Can someone who has done the table numbers as characters post the list you used please? Also, the person who used silhouettes for tables can you post a link to an image please? Thanks so much!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards