Retro and Vintage Weddings

Decoration combinations

We are having a our ceremony on the beach in Mexico and our reception at a very modern venue in Alaska. It's in the fall and our theme is vintage destination/travel. 

I'm in the process of collecting vintage vases and originally was just going to pair flowers with replica vintage postcards in vintage frames as our centerpieces. The occasional vintage clock was going to be thrown in (you know...AM/PM?) like on the guest book table and around the cake. 

All that being said, I had a couple of friends tell me to ditch the postcards in favor of something more flashy. Any ideas on how to potentially pep it up without overdoing it?

P.S. Our colors are Pantone African Violet, charcoal and daisy with olive added as an accent once we return to Alaska. 

Re: Decoration combinations

• Have any pictures of some of your things or inspirations?
  • I like the old post cards idea. Maybe in addition to that or instead you can fo vintage posters of the destinations on the card like a black n white of the eiffel, big ben, golden gate bridge,etc
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • I LIKE your vase/postcard/clock idea!!  The one aspect I would probably change (and maybe your friends would consider it suitably "flashy") would be to use AUTHENTIC vintage postcards and put them in sleek, streamlined silver or black frames (inexpensive to buy at places like Home Goods/Marshalls/TJMax/Ross).  I would to do that because most of the vintage frames I see at swap meets are pretty dowdy.  And a sleek frame allows people to focus on what's being featured inside of it.

Other thoughts:
    You could buy vintage Viewmasters and vintage Viewmaster reels that show photos of vintage travel spots, and add them to your tables, too. 

If it would be too expensive to have Viewmasters on every table, or you just want to add a little variety, on some of the tables you could have snowglobes from various cities.  (I was trying to think of travel souvenirs, and those were what I always yearned for when I was a little girl.)

On your cake table or the table where you might have seating assignment cards you could add a vintage state tablecloth.  (If you don't know what I mean, go to ebay and type in something like "State tablecloth" or "Alaska tablecloth" or "California tablecloth," etc.)

Have some souvenir plates (the kind that mention a state or location like "Yosemite") -- although I don't know where you would set them out!

Travel souvenir pennants.

It would be cool to have a vintage (or repro) travel poster spotlighting Alaska and also one spotlighting Mexico.  

I read about a bride who used an open, vintage suitcase -- I think she put table assignments in it or gifts for guests.  Something like that.

OTHER THINGS YOU COULD PUT IN FRAMES IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO DO POSTCARDS (easy to find most of these on Ebay):
    Colorful vintage travel brochures
    Vintage maps (the front covers are often interesting)
    Vintage menues (from various cities)
    Vintage travel photos (you know, of people posing near cars/trains/planes/in front of landmarks, etc.)
    Vintage travel ads

Anyway, keep us posted!!

• M1ssJ- Great idea!! It seems like posters would help to make the space more personal and intimate since it's so large. Thanks!

weddingspinster- you are an animal!! I lovelovelove your ideas; thank you so much!! The Viewmaster idea is so cool and I also really like the idea of the vintage maps, travel ads, menus, etc. as that would be a great way to break up the monotony of the postcards, or if I can't find enough authentic ones that we like.

Much appreciated, ladies!!! Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards