Ohio-Toledo

Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed!

Hey all,

I am planning my wedding from 8 hours away so unfortunatly can't really go and look at every place. I'm trying to plan an affordable reception yet still elegant. I love all the windows and natural light and really want a location to include that. I also like that Heather Downs allows you to bring in your own catering so then it is easier to price shop around for food. I've never been there so I don't have many pictures to go with so any comments, suggestions, thoughts, and concerns about the location would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Jenn

Re: Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed!

• I think Heatherdowns is an absolutely lovely location for a reception.  My SIL is having her reception there and it seems like their wedding coordinator is very pleasant.  Everything was VERY reasonably priced too.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for your input! When is she planning her wedding for? I've never been there before so I'm afraid of committing before actually seeing the hall but I wont be in the area for a few months. Thanks for all your feedback!
    Jenn
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I went there earlier this month and my church is literally down the street...you can see it from there so I was all about the location. 

The wedding coordinator was amazing and I wanted to choose there just for that. It depends on how descriptive you want me to be...overall I decided to go with another location (still undecided) because it was just sort of typical and not really me. However, the windows are quite beautiful but one concern I had waswith it being too light in there as I'm planning a June wedding and want the mood to be right. To be fair I have not seen it all done up for a wedding so it is hard to picture. The built in bar seemed really nice. 

But I also felt that I would have to have chair covers as they weren't matching and some had a plaid pattern. owever, I did think the deck was something cool as that could be opened up if the weather was apporiate and I did like that idea. 

Overall I think it was a relatively affordable place but after I priced everything out (including paying a certain percentage for food) it wasn't that far off from some of the other places I looked at that I felt had a much better atmosphere. 

It really depends on what you are looking for...I'm especially picky but I think it could be a cool place to have a reception...

Let me know if you want any more specific details :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_thoughts-on-heather-downs-country-club-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:237Discussion:71b4f116-a3bb-45a1-9174-567d9dc1236cPost:fc3384e6-6d09-4ccb-9ad5-2e1f75515df6">Re: Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went there earlier this month and my church is literally down the street...you can see it from there so I was all about the location.  The wedding coordinator was amazing and I wanted to choose there just for that. It depends on how descriptive you want me to be...overall I decided to go with another location (still undecided) because it was just sort of typical and not really me . However, the windows are quite beautiful but one concern I had waswith it being too light in there as I'm planning a June wedding and want the mood to be right. To be fair I have not seen it all done up for a wedding so it is hard to picture. The built in bar seemed really nice.  But I also felt that I would have to have chair covers as they weren't matching and some had a plaid pattern. owever, I did think the deck was something cool as that could be opened up if the weather was apporiate and I did like that idea.  Overall I think it was a relatively affordable place but after I priced everything out (including paying a certain percentage for food) it wasn't that far off from some of the other places I looked at that I felt had a much better atmosphere.  It really depends on what you are looking for...I'm especially picky but I think it could be a cool place to have a reception... Let me know if you want any more specific details :)
    Posted by HTR10[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>My best friend just went and looked at yesterday and has basically the same exact impressions as what you just said. I wish I could see for myself but unfortunatly I don't have a trip planned back to Ohio for a while. She said the chair covers were pretty bad, so that would be another cost to figure in that I hadn't planned. What church are you getting married at? Is it St. Patick right down the street because we were discussing getting married there as well! What other locations are you now considering? My friend also mentioned a concern that she was unsure where we could get pictures at. 

</div>
    Jenn
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_thoughts-on-heather-downs-country-club-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:237Discussion:71b4f116-a3bb-45a1-9174-567d9dc1236cPost:ddd1a258-f824-401f-8282-6d9894a8c9ec">Re: Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed! : My best friend just went and looked at yesterday and has basically the same exact impressions as what you just said. I wish I could see for myself but unfortunatly I don't have a trip planned back to Ohio for a while. She said the chair covers were pretty bad, so that would be another cost to figure in that I hadn't planned. What church are you getting married at? Is it St. Patick right down the street because we were discussing getting married there as well! What other locations are you now considering? My friend also mentioned a concern that she was unsure where we could get pictures at. 
    Posted by studerjen[/QUOTE]

<div>Well I'm glad that my impressions were similiar :) Yes, St. Patrick on Heatherdowns is the church I'll be getting married at (it was also my gradeschool for k-8). If you are seriously interested I would contact them because I <em>believe </em> they only allow parishoners or people who went to school there get married right now (but it is always worth a shot to ask!).  </div><div>
    </div><div>I have a huge list of locations that I went to, and I still have to contact about 5 more, but my top ones (that I felt fit our style/expectations) are Nazareth Hall (Ladyglen not Cadet West), Premier (also on Heatherdowns right down the street) but it is being remodeled and won't be done until August so I'm not sure what it will look like, Toledo Club and the Toledo Zoo.  I think the Zoo is out just because it is semi-outside (i.e. no a/c) and Toledo Club may be out because of the set-up (different rooms for different things), and it was pretty pricey for not having a completely open bar. If you're interested in feedback for any other places let me know...if it is in the area chances are I've gone to it lol. I think by the time I decide for sure I'll have been to 20 different places. </div><div>
    </div><div>Are you planning on taking pictures at your reception site only? Nazareth Hall has 30+ acres so that would work but it is a further drive and I have my concerns with that. There are parks that aren't too far and there is always the river downtown if you are willing to drive in between. </div>
  • <div>Thanks for all your help so far! I spoke with the priest at St. Patricks and he would allow us to get married at the church since we leave out of state. Quick questions in regards to St. Patrick, I was just wondering because I forgot to ask and was just curious now, but do you know how much they charge for the cermony because I have heard rumors it would be $250-1000 so I just wanted to include the correct amount in my budget! I am currently deciding between Heather Downs in Toledo or Camp Perry in Port Clinton area. Camp Perry is right where I grew up but it wasn't open when I orginially had called however they now have an opening in late April. I really loved Camp Perry because it's right on the Lake and is really beautiful in the inside. I looked at Camp Perry before and never Heather Downs so it makes the decision hard :( The only problem I see with Camp Perry is you have to provide EVERYTHING such as linens, glassware, flatware, vases, etc. where Heather Downs included it all. So for planning purposes it seems like Heather Downs would be easier and might end up more affordable then Camp Perry.... Ugh I didn't think it would be this hard to decide on the location! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_thoughts-on-heather-downs-country-club-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:237Discussion:71b4f116-a3bb-45a1-9174-567d9dc1236cPost:1cb93179-aaa0-4a89-90f0-9a87ee5f7f8b">Re: Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed! : Well I'm glad that my impressions were similiar :) Yes, St. Patrick on Heatherdowns is the church I'll be getting married at (it was also my gradeschool for k-8). If you are seriously interested I would contact them because I believe  they only allow parishoners or people who went to school there get married right now (but it is always worth a shot to ask!).   I have a huge list of locations that I went to, and I still have to contact about 5 more, but my top ones (that I felt fit our style/expectations) are Nazareth Hall (Ladyglen not Cadet West), Premier (also on Heatherdowns right down the street) but it is being remodeled and won't be done until August so I'm not sure what it will look like, Toledo Club and the Toledo Zoo.  I think the Zoo is out just because it is semi-outside (i.e. no a/c) and Toledo Club may be out because of the set-up (different rooms for different things), and it was pretty pricey for not having a completely open bar. If you're interested in feedback for any other places let me know...if it is in the area chances are I've gone to it lol. I think by the time I decide for sure I'll have been to 20 different places.  Are you planning on taking pictures at your reception site only? Nazareth Hall has 30+ acres so that would work but it is a further drive and I have my concerns with that. There are parks that aren't too far and there is always the river downtown if you are willing to drive in between. 
    Posted by HTR10[/QUOTE]
    Jenn
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    Jenn-

I keep trying to get ahold of someone in the office about the cost but so far no one is answering (I've been trying for a couple of days). The Deacon who is marrying us wasn't quite sure of the cost so I'll send you a PM when I get the info :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_thoughts-on-heather-downs-country-club-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:237Discussion:71b4f116-a3bb-45a1-9174-567d9dc1236cPost:280fc8c6-284a-4527-86dc-691c01c7ffa2">Re: Thoughts on Heather Downs Country Club Needed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jenn- I keep trying to get ahold of someone in the office about the cost but so far no one is answering (I've been trying for a couple of days). The Deacon who is marrying us wasn't quite sure of the cost so I'll send you a PM when I get the info :)
    Posted by HTR10[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks!!!</div>
    Jenn
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    I sent you a PM!
  • I'm having my reception at Heatherdowns next May. I love the wedding coordinator (Gina)! She has been so helpful with anything I've asked her. We chose this location over several (I mean several!) others because of the combo of price, location and ambience. I don't think any online pics do it justice. I hope this helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards