Virginia

Blacksburg VA - Best Garden Wedding Ever!

Hello all,I just got married at the Hahn Horticulture Garden in Blacksburg, VA and it was unbelievably excellent.  Now that I have successfully made a wedding happen (with lots of help from friends, knot.com folks, former brides in the area etc.) I finally feel 1/2 qualified to give advice (well, some advice).I notice that Blacksburg isn't featured too often on these boards, but I thought I'd throw a post up to connect with anybody planning to get married in the area.  I would be happy to talk caterer, cake, DJ, rentals, flowers, officiants, umbrellas, etc... (I basically interviewed everybody for 40 miles around).I'm especially fond of outdoor wedding plans (a wee bit stressful but all kinds of worth it!)  So, drop me a line or throw up an B'burg specific questions!A.

Re: Blacksburg VA - Best Garden Wedding Ever!

• mobellinemobelline member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! I'm getting married at the Duckpond Amphitheater this October :) Reception is at the new Hilton Garden Inn. My advice to any bride is to fully utilize your resources! My fiance and I recently graduated from Virginia Tech and still have lots of ties to the university. My friend is building up her photography porfolio and is taking our pictures, another person I know is a film student - he'll be our videographer. Another friend has a blossoming cupcake business (she'll be providing the cupcakes and sugar cookie favors). Our officiant is actually a former coworker I've known for 5 years. I found my dress at a J.Crew clothing sale at the Student Center for $20, which normally retails for $2500!!! In this economy you have to strike as many deals as you can and call upon the help of your talented friends. I'm great at striking deals and have my fair share of event planning experience if anyone is looking for advice.
  • monsoon737monsoon737 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go VT!!! Was your wedding windy? Whenever I saw brides on campus getting married at the chapel, their veils and hair were flying everywhere! Congrats on having a fantastic wedding!! :D
  • smiley176smiley176 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello!  I hope you're still available for some help with recommending people!  I am getting married this October at the Horticulture Gardens and the reception will be at the Inn at VT.   My fiance and I live 7 hours away from bburg so any advice you can give us would be helpful since we can't get down there as often as we'd like!
  • srn3884srn3884 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married *sort of* in Blacksburg this July... we're having our ceremony and reception at the Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech. It's technically in Radford, but only about 10-15 minutes from campus.

In case anyone's looking for a reception location in the Blacksburg area, I just want to let everyone know that the River Course is FANTASTIC. I'm currently living in Wisconsin, so I'm doing everything via email and phone calls... the on-site caterer, Bull and Bones, has been absolutely fantastic so far. The prices are really reasonable (think $15 a head for a full tapas dinner) and Matt, their catering manager, has basically done all the work for me.

We're also using the Hooptie Ride for transportation, and they've been very helpful. The rates are about $100 an hour for most of the (in)famous vans, and it really lends a Blacksburg touch. :) Good luck to all future Blacksburg brides!
  • Fir3flyFir3fly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love some help! We just got engaged in may and we moved here from Illinois right after! I am having a hard time finding a place for an outdoor ceremony and we are trying to be as cheap as possible. I need lots of advice and help!
  • Fir3flyFir3fly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_blacksburg-va-garden-wedding-ever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:236Discussion:10238103Post:21e8d8fc-1e56-47db-a809-f74d1b25e4f7">Re: Blacksburg VA - Best Garden Wedding Ever!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married *sort of* in Blacksburg this July... we're having our ceremony and reception at the Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech. It's technically in Radford, but only about 10-15 minutes from campus. In case anyone's looking for a reception location in the Blacksburg area, I just want to let everyone know that the River Course is FANTASTIC. I'm currently living in Wisconsin, so I'm doing everything via email and phone calls... the on-site caterer, Bull and Bones, has been absolutely fantastic so far. The prices are really reasonable (think $15 a head for a full tapas dinner) and Matt, their catering manager, has basically done all the work for me. We're also using the Hooptie Ride for transportation, and they've been very helpful. The rates are about $100 an hour for most of the (in)famous vans, and it really lends a Blacksburg touch. :) Good luck to all future Blacksburg brides!
    Posted by srn3884[/QUOTE]

Do they just do dinners? Basically we are getting married and having our reception in chicago (where our families are from) a few weeks after that so after our ceremony out here I was hoping to go out for a nice dinner and finding inexpensive hotels. How many vehicles does hooptie ride have?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards