Rhode Island

Harp/strings for ceremony at Belle Mer?

Wondering if anyone has had their ceremony at Belle Mer or knows someone who has who used a harpist or string duo/quartet for ceremony music?  Being that it's on the water, and there's always the chance for strong breezes, we're wondering if the music wouldn't be loud enough or would be drowned out by the sound of the wind (if it's a windy day...).  Any thoughts?

Re: Harp/strings for ceremony at Belle Mer?

• edited December 2011
    We were married outside at Belle Mer and had a string trio and there were no problems.  We used La Bella Musica and from what I could hear/was told, they were wonderful! 

You won't hear them much at your own ceremony because they will likely play before the ceremony when you are in the bridal suite and then we were taking pictures during the cocktail hour which they also played for.  I had them play Canon in D for my walk down the aisle and it sounded really nice.  I don't remember the recessional much - too excited!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the feedback!  We really would prefer to have some type of "live" music, as opposed to the DJ playing whatever over a speaker.  My mom and dad think no one would hear the live music because of the outdoor location, but I think it really creates a nice atmosphere for the ceremony!  Will definitely look into the people you used - how were they in terms of pricing, etc?  How long did you have them for?  Did you meet with anyone else before making a decision?  Sorry for all the questions!  We're from out of town, so trying to get first-hand knowledge anyway we can!  Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't even meet them before the day of.  They have played at a lot of Belle Mer weddings so I trusted BM's feedback and I listened to their samples, read some reviews on gigmasters, etc. 

If I remember, they were around $750 for the trio for 2 hours.  Pre-ceremony music, ceremony music and then cocktail hour. 
  • edited December 2011
    Great info!  Thanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    I got married outside at Belle Mer and had a string trio - they played while guests were being seated and everyone said it was beautiful... they also played during the processional and recessional and they sounded great- and it was kinda windy that day - in fact, my veil blew off and my maid of honor caught it....lol

I also had them play inside for cocktail hour which was really nice.

The vendor we used was Intermezzo Chamber Players and I highly recommend them.

HTH !
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the info!  Glad to hear your guests could hear them, even with the wind (am hoping for not so much wind on our day...!!!).  Do you remember what you paid for having them play at both the ceremony and cocktail hour?  Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    sent you a PM
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure if it is worth asking a musican this question, but I would assume string quartets can be mic'ed (I am sure I spelled that wrong) for outdoor ceremonies just how an officiant can sometimes have a discreet microphone pinned on. Maybe I am wrong who knows!
  • DiorAddictDiorAddict member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Harp music is so elegant for a wedding
  • amycp06amycp06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Shilakowsky String Quartet at our wedding 2 weeks ago at the Belle Mer. We were at the Island house and had an outside ceremony as well. The Quartet set up just under the roof (in the cocktail area) and we had the side open. They sounded amazing. They played while our guests arrived and were seated, through the cocktail hour. I highly reccomed them, and the cost wasn't to bad! Also we had a live band for after dinner, the acoustics were amazing! The sound wasn't overwhelming in the island house, but we could hear them all the way to the sea wall! Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards