Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

XP: The truth about spray tanning

Does it rub off on your dress? I asked the beauty salons, they deny that it comes off. Then I asked my bridal shop and they swear up and down that it ruins dresses. Has anyone had experience with this? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: XP: The truth about spray tanning

• Options

I was in a friend wedding and she had gotten spray tanned on wed ( she was really orange, LOL) but by friday on her actual wedding day her complextion was really nice and nope it didn't rub off on her dress..

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went to a wedding last summer and it definitely rubbed off on the bride's dress. Maybe sweated off is a better word? Ceremony was outside and it was VERY hot. I noticed that at the reception she had orange all over several inches down under her arm area on the side.

Not sure when she had been sprayed. Could have had something to do with it. Scared me though...I fake n' baked for my wedding.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I like STC's formula. I got sprayed on Thursday, married on Saturday, no transfer on my dress. (I wore no undergarments). I think it depends on your skin and what formulas work for you. I did multiple test runs with white sports bras to make absolutely sure that no matter how tight or sweaty the dress was, it would not be orange.

I think the key is to do it a few days before hand so you have time to scrub off what would transfer. You won't have as much color, but it will stay on you instead of the dress. Follow directions beforehand and exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate!
  • Options
    I would fake and bake, then you for sure know that there will be no stains on your dress
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I can't speak for airbrushing, but there are two different types of coloring you can get for spray tanning (in those machines)
    you can get the bronzer or the clear. 

***THEY ARE THE SAME THING***
    The only difference is that the bronzer has, exactly that. Bronzer. The point of that is that it shows you what you will look like when the spray settles into your skin. Ultimately the bronzer comes off, and they both look the same after a shower. 
    The bronzer spray is what will have you run the risk of rubbing off on your dress. 

THe trick to spray or airbrush tanning is to do it a few days prior (not a whole week.. it'll most likel be gone by then.. try 3ish days) that way you have had a chance to shower a couple times and you don't need to worry about anything rubbing off on the dress. 
  • Options
    I had a spray tan on the Thursday before my Saturday wedding to even out the awful criss-cross bathing suit tan lines on my back from last summer. The day it was sprayed on, I was very bronze/orange and was told to wear black and stay away from any water for at least 6 hours. I got a cheap black strapless maxidress from Walmart and wore a cheap old strapless bra after the spray. Later Thursday night, I showered as the salon recommended. I didn't scrub and used very little body wash. The tacky orange color washed off and by Friday evening for the rehearsal dinner I looked normal. On Saturday, the color had completely set and my skin looked great. I just got all my professional photos back and I can honestly say that I don't look like I belong on the Jersey Shore at all. My skin tone was even and sunkissed - perfect for my beach wedding!

I had no problems with it rubbing off on my dress or staining any of my clothes. It didn't completely cover my tan lines but it definitely improved them. It also did a great job of covering up scars on my back.

Overall, I recommend spray tanning but ONLY IF it's done by a reputable salon that is highly recommended. I'd avoid any automatic booths because you have no control over the coverage or application. The woman who sprayed me was super professional and teaches classes on how to apply the tan. I knew she was the best in the area and that I couldn't risk looking awful for my wedding.

Good luck!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Timing is everything. A couple days before and you will be fine. 
  • Options
    You've gotten good advice. The day before and day of the wedding are bad days to do it--it WILL rub off with sweating and friction. But two days before and you're just fine.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Fake and bake is NOT an option for me at all, so I will try out a spray tan maybe for my bachelorette and see how it goes! I was really just worried about looking like an orange mess.
  • Options
    I spray tanned for the first time the morning OF my 6pm wedding. The salon told me after 6 hours I could wash it off OR I could leave it on to get a deeper tan and that it wouldn't stain my dress. It did stain my dress but mostly on the inside where it's not at all noticeable and just a tiny bit under the arms (so little I didn't notice until i took my gown off). ON ANOTHER NOTE- my after ceremony pictures are gorgous BUT as the evening wore on and the tan got darker I did start looking a bit funny on my face where I hadn't showered it off (made the mistake of applying makeup before the shower lol). Oh well.... hindsight? Do it two days before and you will be fine. I looked awesome on the honeymoon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards