Arizona-Phoenix

Marriage Prep

Since we're getting married in the Catholic church, we are required to go to marriage prep classes. Our first one was last night. I was not looking forward to it, but it was AMAZING! We spend so much time preparing for a wedding, it was nice to focus on the marriage. Marriage is a beautiful thing and it was really great to think about that for a little while. I'm certainly not trying to push religion on anyone. I think it applies to everyone that marriage is so special. Just thought I'd share in hopes that someone would take the time to think about the marriage. It is, after all, the best part of the whole deal! :)

Re: Marriage Prep

• edited December 2011
    We were married by a military chaplain and they required this as well.  It was fantastic, I was so happy that we did it and would recommend it to anyone!
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are athiests, but our officiant is going to be my Uncle who is Lutheran.  He's encouraging marriage "prep" counseling beforehand, and although I was reluctant at first- I AM a psychology major so I know the value in counseling.  As long as we're able to find a counselor that is not religious, I am all for it.  Let me know if anyone has any recommendations!
  • edited December 2011
    Well, my counseling was not religious at all.  He did have us talk about religion as it related to kids, but it was just to make sure we were on the same page.  If we were both athiests that would have been fine, as long as we were on the same page.  He was a religious chaplain, but that did not matter.  I would just talk to any one who performs ceremonies and see what their thoughts on the non-religion issue.  As long as they know where you stand and they are ok with it, you should be fine regardless of their religious background.  To me, the point of counseling is to make sure you are on the same page about major issues, like kids, religion (or lack there of) and finances.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Mrs. Allen. Anyone who performs ceremonies as an officiant would probably be a good starting point. So, if you know who your officiant will be, I would ask him/her. Also, any counselor who specializes in marriage and faimly (and there are a ton) would probably be a good place to look, too. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the ideas ladies!  My uncle (our officiant) lives in Hawaii, but said he might have contacts for us for marriage counselors out here.  I'm going to ask him who is recommendations are.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards