Wedding Reception Forum

What goes behind the head table?

In the reception hall,  on the wall behind where the head table will be are three huge windows.  The view isn't anything special,  just a not so busy road.  I want to drape dark drapes over the windows but there aren't any open beams or pipes to use.  I was thinking of somehow hoisting a wire across and just draping a dark piece of fabic over it so cover the windows,  but I'm not sure what the wire would attach to.  The only reason I want to cover the windows behind us is because of the glare that would ruin pictures and also for more private atmosphere.

Any ideas at all?  Our reception is nothing close to fancy so we don't need really cool lights or anything.  Just something to cover the windows.

Appreciate it!  :)

Re: What goes behind the head table?

• Talk to the reception. I'm sure they've been in this situation before and could probably advise how other brides in the past have handled it.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • We were lucky enough to find a hall that has no staff.  :)  We preferred it this way as we wanted - EVERYTHING - DIY.  This is the only area of the hall that we are drawing a blank.  Thanks for the advice though.
  • edited March 2012
    Look for vendors that can setup free standing pipe and drape. I am using pipe and drape to cover a huge brown piece of art at my ceremony venue. 

It may be something you can DIYusing PVC pipe and long curtains.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh, wow.  Thanks!  I'll look into that!  Any other ideas?
  • edited March 2012
    If they aren't too wide you could use a tension shower curtain rod hung inside the sash with a pocket drape hung on it. We used this idea for hanging curtains in my daughter's dorm room where no hardware was allowed. They come in different sizes so you can find extra wide rods. Hope this helps.
  • Oooh.  That is good too.  Thanks!
  • We are renting 2 cathedral window style screens to put behind it and then putting spot lights behind them so they kinda glow.  Inexpensive enough :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards