Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

catering

I've contacted a couple of caterers FI and I are interested in, and I got quotes from them.  They're pretty similarly priced, so now it's down to the food and a few other details that will make the difference.

My question is:  What is the next step?  Do I contact them to schedule tastings before I book?  Do I have to book with them before I can try their food?  Whenever I've heard "tasting" I always assumed it was a few months before the wedding and the couple was deciding on what food to serve.

So, I'm kinda confused about where to go from after the quotes.

Thanks for any help ladies.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

Re: catering

• Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Definitely do a tasting before you book. If you had your heart set on a specific caterer, you could book without a tasting.... but any caterer who won't give you a tasting before you book is, in my opinion, extra shady.

It's much different if you're having your wedding at a venue with in-house catering, or an exclusive deal with a certain caterer that you have to use. In that case, yes, you'd wait until a few months before and use it to figure out what you want.

With my wedding, I was pretty sure I wanted to go with Brasa, but wanted to make sure my DH was on board before... so we went into their restaurant on Grand Ave and they shoved us full of so many free samples we didn't eat for like a day and a half. We had a ton of our food choices figured out before we left the restaurant, and put the deposit down the next day. If he hadn't liked it, though, I already had tentative plans for 2 other tastings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I scheduled my tastings more than a year out from my wedding and before I actually booked the caterer.  Good luck!
    BFP #3 July 2012 = EDD 4/1/2013
    BFP #2 May 2012 = loss at 4w3d
    BFP #1 January 2003 = 9 year old son

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, definitely do a tasting first. If a company isn't willing to let you try the food, run! Even if a menu sounds wonderful, there is always a chance that the meat will be dry and the veggies soggy. They should be proud enough of their work and wanting your business enough to offer a sample. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!!  Looks like I'll be setting up a couple tastings.  At least FI will probably be excited about something.  ;)

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    nordkenordke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beware though that although they may offer you a tasting, you may have to pay for it, or pay to have another tasting closer to your wedding.  Our tasting was a few months before our wedding, but we had their food at a pervious wedding and knew it would be fantastic so weren't concerned about having a tasting before we booked with them. I know though that if we wanted more than the one tasting that we got a few months back, we would've had to pay extra for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards