Canada

Possible confusion with The Bay registry?

Hi ladies,

We registered at The Bay / hbc.com as it offers a national registry in person and in store -- which is important as we have invited a lot of people from another province to our wedding.

But, I am worried that there may be confusion among names as there are two brides registered with the same name as me, and one groom with the same name as my fella.  I guess this is one of the risks of going with a national registry (and having common names!)  A friend of mine said today that she was one click away from buying a gift for another couple when she realised that she had the wrong wedding.  

I looked at the registry today online and noticed that two gifts that had been purchased earlier this week were reversed, which seemed a bit weird. Earlier this week, people had purchased 3 china settings, and now it is back to 2. Same for a box of champagne glasses. (An accounting error? Someone returned a gift? I have no idea what is going on!)  

What if guests buy gifts for the wrong couple?  We are having gifts directed to our local Bay, so what if another couple does likewise, and they receive gifts meant for us?  I guess the only check on the system is the good faith of any couples who receive gifts from someone they don't know and return them to the store.  

I'm not worried so much that we won't get the loot, but that we won't know that our friends or family bought something, and of course won't thank them, etc etc.

Has anyone had any issues like this?  Or any tips for avoiding any confusion with our names on the registry?  

Or am I just worrying for no reason?

Thanks for any advice!  :-)

Re: Possible confusion with The Bay registry?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you search for a registry on hbc.com, the resulting list displays both the bride's name AND the groom's name.

Hopefully your friends and family know your FI's name, and same for his friends and family. (If they don't, educate them!)

Hopefully they'll also double check the couple that they're buying for before they make a purchase. I know that when my money's involved, I make darn sure that I'm buying the right thing.

Idunno, if anybody is going to be so careless to click on the wrong couple and just buy the gift, there's not much you can do about it. If you neglect to thank someone and they ask whether you received their gift, deal with it then.

Stop checking your registry. There's no way you can tell from just the website what's happening - all it's causing is worry.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    If you are really worried about it, maybe you can register with your middle initial as well and then send the word around that yours is the one that is Jane S. Smith or whatever....just a thought!

• CMJ&MDL2010CMJ&MDL2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the tips.  I have become slightly less compulsive about checking our registry ... :-)

• edited December 2011
    LOL!  I can't believe you're checking out your registry girl!  That's so funny!  It's supposed to be a surprise!

Good catch though on the matching names.  Try to pass the word around (through your parents and friends of course) and hopefully it will help avoid problems.

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I stalk my registry daily :p
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards