June 2012 Weddings

Photographer Contract question

Were you required to put down a deposit for your photographer and pay the balance upon completion of editing etc.  If so how much did the depoist represent (like what percent of the total balance). Or were you required to pay it all up front?

*For those paying upfront are you concerned at all about the photographer keeping his/her end of the bargain? TIA!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Photographer Contract question

• We were required to put a deposit down.
    Our first photog required 25%, then the rest two weeks before the wedding. We dropped that photog for just some reasons. :)

Our current photog required a deposit too. It was about 1/6 of the total. We just paid her off.
    If she doesn't hold up her end of the bargain, then we probably won't be friends anymore. :)

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We had to put down a 20% deposit.  We have to pay 40% 2 weeks before the wedding and the rest is due 2 weeks after all the images are sent.
  • Peachy we are going through an issue with a gf I've known for 11 years who is doing the photography. She's neither being a friend or a professional in regards to our wedding photography. Granted her work is great but there has been no preliminary meeting or correspondence from her. I thought I might catch up with her at my shower a week ago but she did not come. And this past weekend I received her rsvp saying her hubby could not make it because he had a t ball game with their 6 year old. Its just really odd. So we're looking at other options.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_photographer-contract-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:720f1118-0cae-4bf0-b9ae-9d2692d87da5Post:5b63a812-e8b6-4b01-9055-b04fb1de00e7">Re: Photographer Contract question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were required to put a deposit down. Our first photog required 25%, then the rest two weeks before the wedding. We dropped that photog for just some reasons. :) Our current photog required a deposit too. It was about 1/6 of the total. We just paid her off. If she doesn't hold up her end of the bargain, then we probably won't be friends anymore. :)
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]
  • I like this breakdown! Thank you!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_photographer-contract-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:720f1118-0cae-4bf0-b9ae-9d2692d87da5Post:56c00358-a072-4fb4-a70a-5a48f8d9e7a4">Re: Photographer Contract question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had to put down a 20% deposit.  We have to pay 40% 2 weeks before the wedding and the rest is due 2 weeks after all the images are sent.
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]
  • We had to put 400 down for our 2200 package. The full balance is due 3 days before the event but we paid it off a couple months ago. I'm not at all worried about her "keeping up her end" because she is a professional. We also signed a contract. She did my senior pictures and she did e pics with us. She was great to work with and would never bail after getting the payment
  • We had to put about 30% down up front and we have to pay the remaining balance at least 1 week prior to the wedding. I personally know the photographer and she has an outstanding reputation so I am not concerned at all with this.

My videographer has the same policy, however, I do not know them personally, so I negotiated and I am paying 50% up front, and the remainder after we receive the finished product.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not sure off the top of my head how much we put down, but we pay the balance the night before the wedding.  Our photographer comes to the rehearsal so that she can get a feel for how the ceremony will go and she'll know where to be and where her assistant should be and everything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_photographer-contract-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:720f1118-0cae-4bf0-b9ae-9d2692d87da5Post:56c00358-a072-4fb4-a70a-5a48f8d9e7a4">Re: Photographer Contract question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had to put down a 20% deposit.  We have to pay 40% 2 weeks before the wedding and the rest is due 2 weeks after all the images are sent.
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]

Unfortuanetly this is what happens when you rely on "friends" to help out. I opted out of a friend and just went with a regular company. this way this was one worry I didnt have to help out. If I was you I would start looking asap for another photographer.
  • We had to put down $500 (whole package is $2000+tax), and balance is due 30 days prior.  Definitely not worried about him keeping up his end of the bargain.....we signed a contract and he has a great reputation.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We made a 15% deposit, and the balance is due one month before the wedding.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • 50% down and the balance 2 weeks prior.. but we are now PAID in full:)

Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We paid 20% as a deposit, the balance is due 14 days before the wedding. I'm not worried about him not holding up his end of the bargain, I'm scary so if he pulls something, trust me I'll get my money back!
  • I'm a photographer and my contract is 25% down to book and paid in full 30 days before the wedding.

I would make a copy of the contract for yourself. It should have the photographer's signature on it as well as yours. The reason *I* personally have my clients paid in full before I shoot the wedding, is because i've had bad experiences with clients deciding they don't want to pay the balance and just print my sneak peeks off of facebook/blog/whatever.
    Married 6/23/2012 Photobucket
  • We had to put 25% down, with the remaining balance due 3 weeks before.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think its typical to put down a balance and the remainder 30 days before, We put down 50% when we signed and the rest is due (along with a fancy planner she is having us fill out so she will know every minute where we are) 3 weeks before the wedding.

I'm not worried about her not showing. If you are concerned check if they have references and search the company on yelp.com.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! This really helps!!!
  • Ours was between 25 and 30%
  • We put down 50%, 25% is due 2 weeks before the wedding, and the final 25% is due when we receive our pictures.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We put 1/3 down for deposit. Another 1/3 is due 2 weeks prior to the wedding. The last 1/3 is due a couple weeks after when she has our images available.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • We had to put $750 down and pay the balance ($3,800) one month before the wedding.  I'm not worried about her keeping her end of the deal because she is a personal friend of a co-worker.  She shot another co-worker's wedding and was great.  I feel like with all the personal connections she'll follow through.  She's my favorite vendor :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards