Registry and Gift Forum

Fine China

Last week, FI and I picked our fine china/silver at Macys.  When we went to register at BB&B, the lady insisted on adding our china pattern to the registry there as well, despite us telling her we registered at Macys.  She insisted this was "how it was done" - and we were being thoughtful if giving guests options on where to shop. 

Is this really how its done, or is she just hoping that at least some of the place settings get purchased at her store?  I think it looks tacky to have the same item on both registries.  I feel as long as there are mutliple options in multiple price ranges at either location, there shouldn't be a need to have duplicate gifts listed.  Please advise.  TIA!

Re: Fine China

• I would never duplicate gifts on two registries... you're bound to get multiples of something.

BB&B registries can be updated online; just go take it off.
    murrayed
  • I wouldn't leave it on both.  See if they are the same prices and then take in account where you think your guests will shop more and have it at that registry.  I think you'll end up with duplicates if you do this, like 2 gravy boats, but maybe only 1 place setting, you know? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto all pp - a tip, though: if any of the china pattern has been purchased at BB&B, you can't take it off online. You have to return the china to the store, then once the number purchased is back down to zero you can take it off. It happened to me, after I changed my mind about our pattern...
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • She was just being pushy. Luckily you can edit your registry online :)
  • Yeah, I found BBB to be very pushy.  I ended up with a lot of stuff on it I didn't want and I just took it all off online.  Love editing online!

Regarding the china:  if both stores have it, I'd leave it whereever it is cheaper, which is probably BBB.  I found that Macy's sale price is the regular price at BBB and your guests can use the 20% off coupons, which makes it a much better deal!  I would have put our china at BBB but they didn't carry the particular pattern we liked.
  • I would leave it on both. Both stores run sales at different times. Some people won't shop at Macy's, some won't shop at BBB.  If you receive a set from BBB, then edit your Macy's registry to remove one.  If you get some from Macy's - edit your BBB registry.

It doesn't imply that you want 24 sets if you register for 12 at each, it is making it easier for your friends that want to give you this item.
  • I would also suggest that you hold off on finishing registering if you can.  You're still a year and 3 months out--we registered at 9 months out, finished the registry at 6 months out, and have had all kinds of headaches with things being discontinued andout of stock.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Sounds like a pushy sales associate who would probably benefit from you registering for more especially in the higher priced items.

Ditto pp's.. just update your registries online. If you like the china from Macy's better, then remove the set off of BBB. You were definitely right, and shame on her for misleading you, that's awful. There's no right or wrong way to register at those stores, you and your FI only register for you want and need not what someone else tells you that you should be doing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_fine-china-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:798b3213-ea75-4ceb-a661-d5f4f7ede173Post:94fd12f4-eeed-4c37-86da-1f165dfc7ee7">Re: Fine China</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would leave it on both. Both stores run sales at different times. Some people won't shop at Macy's, some won't shop at BBB.  If you receive a set from BBB, then edit your Macy's registry to remove one.  If you get some from Macy's - edit your BBB registry. It doesn't imply that you want 24 sets if you register for 12 at each, it is making it easier for your friends that want to give you this item.
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

I disagree. This is confusing for guests, and bound to cause duplicate gifts. Just register wherever it is cheaper. Guests who want to buy you china and nothing else will.
    imageimageimage
  • Sounds like a pushy saleslady trying to get more purchases at her store over Macy's. I would take the China off your BB&B registry and even see if you can register for other things from that store elsewhere--how rude!
  • We had the same experience at BBB! We had already registered at macys for all of our nicer stuff and just wanted to go to BBB to have another registry and get some cheaper items like the kitchen gadets, some serving pieces, linens, etc. Even after we told them we didn't want to add our macys items to BBB they still did it anyway! I just went online later and took all of the duplicates off, but i was so upset! Everyone was telling me to register at BBB but it was not a fun experience! Macys was so much better and helpful. I would take the duplicate items off of BBB and leave them on Macys.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards