Favors
Options

XP: Cake + Candy Bar (kinda long)

First, did I do this right? When you post in two forums you put "XP" on it, right? It's about food and about favors. So, I'm putting it in both. Let me know if I did this wrong!

I have always thought candy bars were a really cute and fun idea, but I am one of those people who thinks having candy and cake is excessive. Especially in a situation like mine: I am having a cake large enough to serve everyone two pieces and still have left overs.

I have this cute idea, though. I could set up the candy bar, and have goody bags on the table to turn it into a "Mix-n-Match Your Own Favors" candy buffet. That way I can have the cuteness,the fun, the color theme matching addition, it takes care of party favors, and it doesn't feel like excess (because it's meant to be eaten later, not right there. Of course, guests are welcome to snack on it day-of, too.)

However, I wasn't sure how much I liked this idea. My fiance pointed out that if someone wasn't watching their kids they could engorge themselves on candy and wind up getting sick at the party. This is a good point, but we're only having two for sure kids, and two possibles. Another thing I took into consideration is that the two for sures are coming with their single father (no date,) so, he won't have any distractions.

Another thing, would adults like this? Personal like/dislike? Candy is enjoyable for kids but not always adults. The few times I see candy as favors are when they're personalized. So, I was thinking of maybe getting one type of candy personalized to place at the center of the buffet.

Any other pros/cons I didn't think of would be much appreciated!

Re: XP: Cake + Candy Bar (kinda long)

• Options
    edited December 2011

I had a candy bar at my wedding(which was an adults only wedding) and it was a huge hit.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought that's how all candy bars were set up? I never saw one that was meant to be eaten right there. Anyway, I love them and think it's a great idea!
  • Options
    chickenbut143chickenbut143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're planning on a candy buffet and also (large) cake.  We recently discussed the idea of us having quite a bit of cake and candy left over....so we're also buying gable boxes to make sure that guests can bring a slice or 2 + candy to their hotel room (since it's a destination wedding).  I love the idea of both! 

Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    shippo162shippo162 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice, all!

@chickenbut

I would love to send my guests home with cake but most of them will drive 8 or more hours that night to get home, presumably.
  • Options
    slaughter182slaughter182 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of your guests will take the candy home because of exactly what you said, having a ton of food and cake can be excessive. But they will certainly love it a few days later.  I wouldn't imagine a few kids causing too much of a stire!  Hope you go with the candy buffet, love your mix idea.

Married 5.15.2010
  • Options
    shippo162shippo162 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, Slaughter : )

My friend said she'd take home ALL the left over candy, haha. Guess that solves that problem! : P
  • Options
    colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a candy buffet with the thought that most people will either munch on it throughout the night and even take some home in the little chinese take out boxes we are providing them with. There is nothing wrong with doing cake and the candy buffet. People always like extra food. :)
  • Options
    catwinecatwine member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing both as well. I think it can be a fairly inexpensive favour plus guests get what they really want (no more breath mints, please).  I think you could keep the candy containers covered with lids or whatever until you want guests to make their favours. If you anticipate people leaving early maybe have the DJ announce that its time for the candy bar around the time your guests may leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards