Snarky Brides
Options

low cost vacation ideas?

The H and I want to go away between Christmas and New Years.. and apparently we are insane because the prices everywhere are unreal. We were hoping for a 5 day getaway to a warm place but so far I can't find anything affordable...

any tips??

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
my book shelf:
Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

Re: low cost vacation ideas?

• Options
    Mexico?
  • Options
    You're going to be hard pressed to find anything cheap over the holidays, unless you're willing to book last minute.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    We booked a pretty cheap trip to Vegas leaving Christmas day and coming back mid-week. Check Orbitz for pacakges. It's not so bad if you leave before the expensive New Year's prices start.
  • Options
    thanks for the tip!

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_low-cost-vacation-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bcf8927b-c967-4e09-b86a-52a47548b241Post:3224d0c3-0fa8-46fe-9310-5d1ac7959d2d">Re: low cost vacation ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're going to be hard pressed to find anything cheap over the holidays, unless you're willing to book last minute.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  The condo in Keystone we stayed in for $80 a night in July goes for more than $300 a night around Christmas.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Yeah, that's high season.  My parents own some rental properties in Playa Del Carmen, and the rates in Dec-Feb are 3 times the summer nightly rate.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_low-cost-vacation-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bcf8927b-c967-4e09-b86a-52a47548b241Post:ce2b30d4-e0a6-4aa2-bfef-8322aa3f7fed">Re: low cost vacation ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We booked a pretty cheap trip to Vegas leaving Christmas day and coming back mid-week. Check Orbitz for pacakges. It's not so bad if you leave before the expensive New Year's prices start.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

+1, Vegas is typically dead Christmas week, so it's a great time to go there if you're looking for deals.  If you do that and you're checking in though, ask the reception person if they know of any plans to do fire alarm tests and if so, to put you in a building that won't have them.  I used to go to Vegas a lot during Christmas week because I don't have a lot of family to spend it with and I love to gamble, so perfect for me, but I kid you not, two different hotels on two different trips both did their annual fire alarm tests/inspections at like 9 AM  that week, which of course was like two hours after I went to bed LOL.  Drove me crazy.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    I'm going to 3rd the Vegas recommendation. FI and I went the week before Christmas 2007 and it was dead. We got great deals on flights and a corner suite at the Bellagio. There were also really good tickets available for all the shows we wanted to see. A big plus is that all the hotels are decorated for Christmas, so its extra pretty. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm all over this vegas idea! I've never been!!!

my book shelf:
  • Options
    We booked both our flights and 3 nights hotel for $800 total in our Orbitz deal. Bargainza!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    OMG! Then you have to do Vegas. Its seriously the best playground for grownups. If you like going to see shows, Try seeing one of the Cirque du Soleil shows. They are AMAZING! Oh and the buffets!! The buffets are grand. There is a restaurant called Olive. Try it. Its pricey but the food is amazing. And truth be told, the room you stay in doesn't really matter since you wont likely spend a lot of time there. NY NY is pretty fun but the best ones to walk through are the Venetian, Caesar's, and If you walk to the off beat hotels like Circus Circus you can get tables with low buy ins. 

If its not already blaringly obvious, I LOVE Vegas and spend too much time there. 

EDIT: I would not recommend staying at Sahara. It is a cheap option but its not really on the strip so it makes the drunken sauntering about the strip no so convenient. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic "Do not seek the because; in love there is no because, no reason, no explanation, no solutions."
  • Options
    whooooa really??? where are u staying, if you don't mind me asking. Although I am flying from further away so it will definitely cost me more :(

my book shelf:
  • Options
    zippitybzippityb member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2010
    You can come stalk me at the Luxor. It's H's first time, so he was down with whatever, and I want to stay in a pyramid room so I can ride in the Wonkavators. I can't wait for cheesy dated goodness.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_low-cost-vacation-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bcf8927b-c967-4e09-b86a-52a47548b241Post:c5e83921-d7b4-416e-95eb-00e752167f34">Re: low cost vacation ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can come stalk me at the Luxor. It's H's first time, so he was down with whatever, and I want to stay in a pyramid room so I can ride in the Wonkavators. I can't wait for cheesy dated goodness.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

I did that on my first trip to Vegas!

But FYI Star, Vegas isn't warm in the winter. The desert gets pretty chilly in the winter. Sometimes it snows a little bit, though it probably won't when you're there. but if you'll be out at night, you'll need a coat.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    thanks for the tips guys!

Zippity- I was looking at the luxor :)

Noodle- great to see you over here!!!!

my book shelf:
  • Options
    Vegas is so ridiculously cheap in December (except for NYE).  I eight-sixth that notion.  But be aware that there are more than a view shows that go dead in the winter or have fewer session because tourism is down around then. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    Sign up for travelzoo.com They send deals once a week and we went to Jamica for 750 (included flight and everything)
  • Options
    You can check out the Venetian in LV at less than $140/night.
  • Options
    Might I suggest the quaint Shrute Beet Farm?
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards