Getting in Shape

Overnight Oats - The Breakfast of Champions

Or at least people that like to stay full for EVER.

Overnight oats are reallllly simple.  Mix equal parts of old fashion oats, milk and yogurt.  Combine in a bowl and refrigerate overnight.

Old fashion oats come out much better than quick oats.  I've tried both.

The flavour comes from what you mix in.  We've been using unsweetened vanilla almond milk, plain yogurt for me and vanilla yogurt for my H.

We started off mixing in frozen fruit.  A handful of (frozen) blueberries, or raspberries with the oats at night, and then 1/2 a banana each in the morning.  A dash of cinnamon or a small bit of honey lend some extra flavour.  This week we've been trying out pumpkin puree and playing around with adding in other things.

You can absolutely make it without protein powder.  My H likes it with it because it helps keep him feeling full for WAY longer, and I like it because it helps me hit my protein goals for the day.

This site has some great ideas for mix-ins.

Oh, and we also zap ours in the microwave for a minute or so (stirring halfway) to take the chill off and warm them up.  I prefer my oats warm.
We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Overnight Oats - The Breakfast of Champions

• Preach Raynes! This is the breakfast of champions for sure. Not only is it tasty AND ready when you wake up, it's good for you too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's the ultimate breakfast for people who "don't have a lot of time" in the mornings.  One just must remember to prepare it the night before. 
  • Ohhh. I like this! I have been looking for something delicious and fast in the mornings. I am definitely going to try it out. I usually eat and am hungry again by 9 am. haha
  • Also, should you use regular yogurt or greek yogurt?
  • definately trying....will report back !
  • stacey, you could probably use either.  I've been using "Balkan style" yogurt, which is a thicker, strained yogurt and it come out fine.  You might need to add in a bit more liquid, but I'd say just experiment!

There isn't really a "wrong" way to have overnight oats (well, mixing in tonnes of sugar and crap isn't too good), just try it and see how it goes.  Adjust accordingly.
  • Protein powders - I buy Ultimate Nutrition's Iso-Sensation 93 because I can get it in a giant tub and it's cheaper that way.  Taste wise, it's not too bad, and it mixes in fairly well.

For mixing just with yogurt (and no other things) I prefer Dymatize's Iso-100.  It's a hydrolized protein isolate and mixes nearly instantly in only a bit of liquid.  It's also carb free.  The mixed berry stuff is pretty tasty.
  • walnuts are a good option also for yogurt.

So the oatmeal is raw with this recipe right?  Putting it in the microwave just warms it up right?  It's not cooked is the question.

Are their crockpot recipes for overnight oatmeal too?  I think maybe.  But this is something different to try. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm going to go to the store tonight and try these! Sounds so yummy!
  • Just added overnight oats to my grocery list -- thanks, Raynes!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Headed to the grocery store as soon as DH picks me up!  I've been picking out healthy recipes from a link I saved on the Nest, and can't wait to try them out.  OO are going to be for brekkie tomorrow.  I love it, bc I generally have 10 mins (literally) to eat before leaving. I'm hoping this will keep me full for a while, since I'm usually at work before 7am. 
    Visit The Nest!

My Planning Bio Married Bio

I'm not a newb, aka swim1011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards