Wedding Reception Forum

Who helps with set up?

HI All!
I'm really big on party planning and have everything set up for the wedding (theoretically) but a lot of the locations I'm looking at stress that they don't provide set up or take down of decorations or centerpieces or anything. If I could set it all up in the morning that would be ok, but we're only allowed access 2 hours before the service. If I'm not hiring professional decoraters, who can do the centerpiece set up, place cards etc and clean up such as making sure the guest book is collected and the disposabale cameras are picked up? Is that what a day of coordinator would do?
It's not that I'm lazy I just want to have the hour or two before the wedding to get my hair done and make up and all that fun stuff that is needed.

Re: Who helps with set up?

• yep DOC is usually incharge of that especially if its in contract just write it all out for her so she knows where you want things
  • yes a DOC can take of thing like that.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Our DOC took care of all of those things.  
  • If you choose a venue that does not provide set-up and clean-up, I strongly suggest you hire someone to take care of it.  If it's not a day-of coordinator, you can ask the venue manager for references.  I'm sure other couples have needed those services.

Whatever you do, don't plan to do it yourself or accept the offers of family or friends who'll be wedding guests.  Good luck!

• Our caterer and DOC did it.  Just make sure it's in the contract for the DOC and that you clearly spell out what you want done.  Also, make sure anyone else involved knows what's going on.  The last wedding I helped with, the florist and I understood things differently and it made it difficult to get things done.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_who-helps-with-set-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ed52e260-ee26-40d8-8414-7efe7cc481cePost:a5f74b6b-62d0-4367-a06a-2b491773bcf8">Who helps with set up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI All! I'm really big on party planning and have everything set up for the wedding (theoretically) but a lot of the locations I'm looking at stress that they don't provide set up or take down of decorations or centerpieces or anything. If I could set it all up in the morning that would be ok, but we're only allowed access 2 hours before the service. If I'm not hiring professional decoraters, who can do the centerpiece set up, place cards etc and clean up such as making sure the guest book is collected and the disposabale cameras are picked up? Is that what a day of coordinator would do? It's not that I'm lazy I just want to have the hour or two before the wedding to get my hair done and make up and all that fun stuff that is needed.
    Posted by sugarchild108[/QUOTE]

I am having my wedding at a park and as far as that I have some friends volunteering to set things up and take them down(even though it will be 7 am to 11 pm)

• you dont need to hire a decorator. your florist can set up the flowers etc ...

as for pulling the cameras off of the table you may have a bridal assistant from the venue to do that. or you can ask a friend to pick them up at the end too. it really all depends on how much your venue says they will do or not....you need to ask them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards