Jewish Weddings

NWR: Anyone planned a bris?

I am pregnant with my first child (a boy !) and am due the first week of May.

My H and I do not belong to a temple but we were married at his parents temple about 30 minutes away from where we live now. That temple does not have full time rabbi and I am not a fan of current fill-in clergy. We have decided to use someone not connected to that temple.

Since we don't belong to a temple, do we just call local ones to find a mohel able to perform the ceremony? There is a reform temple in the town we live in and 4 in the next town over so I imagine it won't be too hard to find someone. I am just unsure about the timeline.

Do we call now to reserve a date and then let them know when I go into labor?

Of course, no one in my family or H's has planned a bris in over 20 years so they have no clue, lol.

TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: Anyone planned a bris?

• LisaBRMLisaBRM member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Well, you can't really "reserve" a date.  I think the first thing you should do is get the names of several mohels and, if possible (highly recommended), recommendations.  Then, I think it's more than OK to call them, ask them about the service they perform and let them know that you're expecting in May.  Most likely they will tell you to call back once he's born, but, I think it's good to put your feelers out, especially to several since you never know who'll be available that day.

Mazel Tov!!

ETA - oh, and yes, you can call any local shul and they should be able to give you several names.
    Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Our experience was that mohels were not connected with any particular temple in any event.  So if you ask at one temple, they can probably tell you about all the local mohels.  My son's father and I are Reform, but our temple told us there were two mohels in the area, one Conservative and one Orthodox.  We actually went with the Orthodox one, thinking that this was less likely to be questioned at any point in the future.
  • Your future pediatrician may also be able to make some recommendations as well as local hospitals. Where we live, many mohels are also surgeons so those are some other sources for recommendations.
  • Ok great, thanks for the information.

Last night I googled Boston Mohel's and was pleasently surprised at how many came up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a little late to the party, but I can give you my experience. Our first child is a boy, and he was actually due the first day of Rosh Hashanah so things were a bit tricky. Here's what we did:

1. Called the Rabbi to discuss how to schedule the ceremony
    2. Called the mohel we wanted (he was recommended by a friend, by the Rabbi, and is an opthalmologist so I figued he was used to paying attention to small details :p)

My son was born at 1:08 AM, so during the day (that day) we called the Rabbi and the mohel (we were instructed to call his office if it was during office hours) and they arranged a time together and called us back. I'm pretty sure some mohels can do the ceremony without a Rabbi, but don't quote me on that.

One other thing to consider - most mohels are shomer shabbos. In the case that the bris should take place on Shabbat (or a holiday) that requires observance, the cermony usually happens at the shul. Also, remember it happens on the eighth day of life, not when the baby is 8 days old. Depending on the time of day, your baby may only be 7 days old at the bris (which happened for us because DS was born in the middle of the night).

Also, if this is your first pregnancy and your son is born vaginally, he will qualify for a pidyon haben. Unfortunately, I was robbed of this experience with an unneccesary c-section. That's a whole other story.....

Mazel Tov!
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards