Catholic Weddings

I know priests are busy...

But, how long should I wait for a call back? I'm finally on the wedding planning road, and I really need to talk to the priest at the church at which I would like to get married. Everything rests on that, obviously, because I can't set a date until we have a  church and a go ahead. I've talked to a priest where I live and he's agreed to oversee our counselling here, if that's allowed, but, again, have to talk to the home church priest.

I called Monday morning, I was thinking of giving it until tomorrow afternoon before I called back. The one thing I'm worried about is that the date I really wanted, and several surrounding it, were open on Monday when I called, and I'd really like to secure it, and I know this is a popular time to get engaged. Should I call back, or is that annoying? Or does that show persistence? Any opinions/ideas?

Also, I called the rectory/church office before, which was the number listed on their wedding contact. They have the priest's number listed as well. Would going ahead and calling him be stepping over the line?

Re: I know priests are busy...

• edited February 2012
    Are you dealing with the parish in downtown Jackson?  Because that priest (the few times I've needed him) drives me crazy.  He seems so disinterested.

I would try calling the rectory office and asking them to put you on the calendar to meet with him.  That way it's recorded and he'll know to be there barring any catastrophes.

=(  I'm sorry.
    Anniversary

• Ha, it's so awesome that someone knows who he is. Without blowing your internet cover, do you attend there? I would actually really prefer to have another priest perform our ceremony (a priest who is also a guy I went to HS with and was my Homecoming date one year), but I can't do any of that until I talk to the priest downtown. The problem is that I'm in San Antonio, Texas, trying to plan a wedding in Jackson.
  • I'm sorry, but no.  I've only been once.  We have had nothing but trouble when trying to contact him, though.  One time, H (then FI) wanted a priest to hear his confession, and we were told to "come back later," which really bugged me, because at our parish here in Dallas, the pastoral associate said she does whatever it takes to find a priest to hear confession, even if she has to call halfway across town.

The only other interaction I've had with him was when my mom needed to fill out that form that states that I am free to marry.  She works right down the street, so I thought that would be the best place for her to go.  I must have called a hundred times before I actually got someone, and when I did, I said, "Okay.  We'll be there at 4:30."  They said that was fine.  So we walked over to the rectory, rang the bell and knocked -- nothing.  Walked to the church -- it was dark, no one was there.  Walked back to the rectory and banged on the door some more -- no one.

I wish I was a little more familiar with that parish so I could find some way to excuse his apparent unavailability, but I don't.  =(  Could your mom like, go there in person and try to get something done?  Not that it would help if no one's at the rectory.
    Anniversary

• FYI my fiance and I are getting married in my home church, doing our prep work in a completely different state at his home church and getting married by his family member who is in a 3rd archdiocese. If you want to get married in that church but have a different priest you know and like do the ceremony it is possible as long as that priest is in good standing with his archdiocese/diocese. It requires more paperwork and time to set up but has really been pretty easy for us. We have a very individual situation but it sounds like your's is similar to ours. 

I would call and set up an appointment with him and ask about having another priest do the ceremony in that church and doing your prep work where ever you want. Hopefully he will let you do it that way and then it will be taken care of since you won't be depending on him since he doesn't seem very reliable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never actually had to talk to the priest at the church I am getting married at to set the date.  I gave his secretary the date and she put it on the calendar.  Then I touched base with him a few weeks later---is there someone else you can talk to???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards