Wedding Reception Forum

Toasts from the whole Wedding Party?

I want all of our wedding party to be included as much as possible!  We are thinking about letting each member of the wedding party say a short speech instead of just the MOH and BM,,,, I've been to weddings where the speeches stunk and I don't want that to happen!

I think if each person is allowed a short speech, we would do it during dinner or immediately following?  That way it takes up some time--we're having like a 7 hour reception! : /   

Anyone think this is absolutely ridiculous? lol.  Has anyone seen this done before?  We have 5 bridesmaids and groomsmen, plus the MOH and BM.  I'm thinking no one would talk for more than a minute or two!

Re: Toasts from the whole Wedding Party?

• I barely like listening to one speech, an entire WP would be boring.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I never thought of that--- thanks for your opinion!

I love the speeches when I know the people well and it's a good speech--funny or heartfelt.  I guess that was my intention...  The people in our WP wouldn't make the speeches so no one wanted to listen. 
  • One - You are really supposed to dictate who gives a toast.  People are supposed to give them of their own free will and because they want to.

Two - I think it would get very long and pretty repetative.  This would be 12 people!  Each giving only 2 minutes would be nearly a half an hour.  Yikes! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think it could be really special it involve the entire wedding party during the speeches, but instead of individual speeches, perhaps your MOH and bridesmaids could collaborate to come up with a unique speech where each person had a role in delivering it (and the same for the groomsmen and the BM). I think the MOH and BM might even welcome the speech writing help! Another idea might be to involve the whole WP in a special choreographed dance instead of during the speech time. Good Luck, and do what you want to do! It's your day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_toasts-whole-wedding-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:bbe270dc-79a0-4d56-a206-e9558f2c19b2Post:7a7c147d-8b5f-4882-a19e-5d7cd85ffc0d">Re: Toasts from the whole Wedding Party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it could be really special it involve the entire wedding party during the speeches, but instead of individual speeches, perhaps your MOH and bridesmaids could collaborate to come up with a unique speech where each person had a role in delivering it (and the same for the groomsmen and the BM). I think the MOH and BM might even welcome the speech writing help! Another idea might be to involve the whole WP in a special choreographed dance instead of during the speech time. Good Luck, and do what you want to do! It's your day!
    Posted by joonbug2082[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I like the idea of a collaborated speech from each "side" :)  I just want it to be special and have the whole WP feel like they had a role.  I've been to weddings where there was multiple MOH's and BM and the rest of the WP just kind of sits there like they didn't have anything to do with it!</div>
  • I've been to weddings where every member of the WP gives a speech.  Sometimes it's ok if there's not a huge WP, but at one wedding, all 6 of the BMs were drunk and went on and on blubbering about how much they loved the bride and what a great friends she is (which, I'm sure they all are great friends, but we got the point after the drunk blubbering MOH said the same thing.)

"You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper

• Sorry, but as a guest, I would find that incredibly boring. I get the thinking behind the idea and that's nice, but I don't think all those toasts woule be remotely interesting to the majority of your guests.
  • I was at a wedding where the FOB gave a speech.  Then the MOG.  Then the Best Man.  Then the MOH.  Then EVERY GM.  Then EVERY BM.  By the time the first GM started to talk, people had just stopped listening, turned back to their table and started chatting again.....getting up and going to the bar......leaving the room.  It was excruciatingly excessive and boring.

Please, a toast or two and call it all good.  Besides, do you KNOW that your WP are all comfortable speaking in front of a group?  The greatest fear that most people have is public speaking.  So please, don't make your WP do something that might be an incredibly uncomfortable thing for them.

Good luck!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards