Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Tasty Thursday?

I just got a small slow cooker from my mom and was thinking of trying out some sort of dinner with it.  I've never used one and the only thing I can remember anyone in my family making with it is sloppy joes (ew).  I remember an amazing thread about slow cooker recipes and they all sounded amazing, but the search thing isn't working.

Anyone wanna share again?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
PAIF/SAIF welcome!

Re: Tasty Thursday?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's mine!  I'm at work right now, but know I have more at home, so I'll add them later!  = )

Chicken & Wild Rice “Soup”
    Ingredients:
    1 pound of bacon OR 1 pound of pre-cooked bacon bits
    2 13 oz. cans of chicken
    2 small cans of cream of potato soup (10 ¾ oz.)
    2 cans of water
    1 small container of original Half & Half
    1 container of Cheeze Wiz (15 oz.)
    2 boxes Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice (6 cups total)  

Cook time – About 1 hour

·         Cook bacon
    ·         In a large pot prepare rice as according to directions on box.  Don’t add seasoning, (if provided)
    ·         Pull apart bacon to desired size
    ·         When rice is finished, add all remaining ingredients. 
    ·         Set temperature at medium-high to high.  Stir occasionally.
    ·         Let set on low heat for a few minutes for a thicker soup, otherwise it’s ready to eat! 

Enjoy!
      And leftovers taste really good warmed up!! 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Buffalo Chicken Dip
    -1 shredded rotisserie chicken
    -3/4 of franks red hot or buffalo sauce (more or less with preference)
    -3/4 bottle of ranch (the big bottle)
    -1 block of cream cheese

Mix all together in the slow coocker, and when the cream cheese is all melted, its ready do eat on tostitos! 

• Options
    jmkaiserjmkaiser member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Here's my quick and easy one:)

Boneless chicken breasts
    1 can cream of chicken soup

I usually let this cook at least 3-4 hours.

Then serve it over brown rice.

Not only is it pretty healthy but you can't screw it up:)

• Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooh, I'm making a beef roast in the crock pot tonight! This one is SUPER easy, really. It's impossible to mess up. H didn't even have to pretend to like it!

Beef roast (the ones I've used have been bone-in, about 2.5 pounds)
    1 fajita seasoning packet
    1 jar pepperoncinis (next to the olives, it took me forever to find them at the grocery store)

Take the thawed roast, and rub the fajita seasoning on it. I use gloves as I'm not really a fan of handling raw meat. Then you just set it in the crock pot and pour the pepperoncinis over it -- liquid, peppers, everything. (I do this the night before and put it in a different container to marinade, but that's not necessary.) Cook it until the meat comes apart easily.

When I made this before I was at home, so I had it on high for a few hours then switched it to warm. I think the recipe I'd found for this said low for 6 hours.
  • Options
    wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This one is a little fussy but was great for a Sunday dinner type set up.  It is from the Williams Sonoma Slow Cooker cookbook which I highly recommend.  I served it with some creamy polenta and asparagus and it was a HUGE hit.

1 cinnamon stick broken into pieces
    4 whole cloves
    3 allspice berries
    6 black peppercorns
    3 tbsp olive oil
    3 1/2 lbs beef roast trimmed of excess fat
    1 yellow onion finely chopped
    4 cloves garlic finely minced
    2 celery stalks sliced
    2 carrots peeled and sliced
    1 cup hearty red wine
    1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
    salt

Combine cinnamon, colves, allspice and peppercorns in a mortar or spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.  Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and add the oil.  Add the meat and cook, turning, for 10-15 minutes until browned on all sides.  Unsing tongs, transfer to slow cooker.

Add the ontion to the saute pan, stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Add the garlic, celery and carrots and saute for 4 minutes until lightly browned.  Add the spice mixture and continue to cook 2 minutes more to bloom.  Add the red wine and cook 10 minutes, until reduced by approximately 1/3rd.  Stir in the tomato and salt to taste.  Pour over the meat.

Cover and cook for 8 hours on low until the meat falls away from the bone.

I also have a REALLY good BBQ Pork recipe at home I can try to find later tonight.  DH ate the leftovers on their own without buns! 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    YG email in about two seconds :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like to make ribs in the slow cooker- I buy the hormel ribs, and throw it it there with maybe 1/4 C or 1/2 Water and let it go on low while I am at work,so maybe 8 hours. Then I take the ribs out and put them on a baking sheet. Generously slather on your favorite BBQ sauce and throw em in the oven at 350 for another 30-45 minutes.

I love making them this way- the BBQ gets really baked on, but the ribs are tender and fall off the bone.
  • Options
    nordkenordke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We like Beef Stroganoff. Use either stroganoff or stew meat.  For the 4 of us (2 adult, 2 kids) we use about 3-4 pounds of meat, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, half a can of water.  Let it simmer on low for 6-8 hours.  You may need to mix in a little bit of flour mixed with water, or Wondra, to thicken it up a bit when it's done cooking. I also then mix in a few dollops of sour cream and some sliced up pickles (if you like pickles) to give it a bit more flavor. You can serve over egg noddles or rice.

We also like to do ribs too...
  • Options
    schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I got an awesome Crock Pot Cookbook at Sams Club for $10.  I've made a ton of stuff from there.... it's nice to come home from work and have dinner ready!  Its called 'Favorite Brand Name Recipes.'  Probably my favorite from the book:

Hamburger Soup
    1# ground beef
    1 envelope dried onion soup
    1 envelope dried italian seasoning mix (find it by salad dressing at the store)
    1/4 tsp season salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    3 cups boiling water
    1 can (8oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 cup sliced carrots
    2 cups cooked macaroni
    1/4 grated parmesan cheese

Brown beef in medium skillet over med-hi heat.  Drain.  Add beef, soup mix, italian seasoning, season salt, pepper to cooker.  Stir in water, tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce & soy sauce.  dd celery & carrots.  Cook 6-8 hrs on low.

Cook macaroni according to directions.  Add to pot with parm cheese.  Cook on high 10-15 minutes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards