Latino Weddings

Multi-Cultural Wedding

I'm Caucasian and I've grown up LDS.  My fiance is from El Salvador and he doesn't really claim a religion.  Half of our guests will be LDS and half will be something else.  So we're trying to combine a Hispanic wedding with like a traditional white person LDS wedding lol.  Has anyone else done this that could give me some tips?  Also a lot of guests don't speak English so we're having the ceremony in both languages, but we're not really sure how.  We're having a baile, but almost all of the music will be duranguense, banda, cumbia, bachata and stuff like that and I'm worried that my family will get bored.  I'm the only person in my family that speaks Spanish and my fiance doesn't speak English.  Also his grandparents (who raised him) are coming from El Salvador and I'd like to do something special for them because they mean so much to him.  Any suggestions?

Re: Multi-Cultural Wedding

• edited December 2011
    Okay...so I can't really help with the LDS questions, but there was a bride on the traditions board not long ago that was planning an LDS wedding, if you post over there she might be able to offer some suggestions.

Combining the languages.  We are doing different parts of the ceremony in each language, rather than having an interpretor, but we are having a lengthy program that has information in both languages.  Ours is set up to be read one direction in English and flip it over and you can read thru it in Spanish.  You can have two officiates or a bilingual officiate...either way will work.  Our officiate is English speaking.  However, she will be saying one blessing in Spanish.  The other Spanish parts we have family members doing a reading and a prayer.  As well as traditional Mexican traditions.

Traditional Mexican ceremony traditions would include the lasso and the arras.  Since as an LDS you probably don't use rosaries, you could skip the lasso or use a cord instead of a rosary.  You could incorporate the arras into the ceremony.

You could always try to mix the musica and have some "English" music as well.  Although, I think the music you are talking about will make anyone want to dance, even if they don't understand the words and aren't used to it, because it is just fun music!!!

Grandparents...you can have them each wear flowers or even do a presentation rose during the ceremony, many couples do this for mothers.  In the program if you are listing parents, you could also list his grandparents and include a thank you.  You could have them dance at the reception; or even have them announce a dance for all married couples and then include an "in honor of...." and even do the thing where you have couples leave the floor throughout the song based on who has been married the longest. Or if his parents are not in the picture, you could have him do a dance with his grandmother instead of his mother during the wedding. 

You have a lot of questions!!!  As you get more into the planning, hopefully we can help you as you hit bumps in the road!
  • musiscoutmusiscout member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm complete American and my husband is Dominican. We mixed the music. His friend did the same and you'll be surprised that white people will dance more to latin music. With the rhythm, it's hard not to. On youtube there are great videos on bachata and merengue. Salsa is harder. My bridemaids watched the videos and were danicing. You could take your bridal party to a dance class for fun. I learned at a class and have much more fun dancing the latin dances. Just thinking, you could even show them at the wedding and do a little instruction like they do at the resorts. We still kept the american love songs, like "At Last.," ect.

I found both of our families trying to learn a little of the other language. My mom has a Spanish dictionary. lol. It's kind of nice to bring two different families together, because there's a lot to talk about. We didn't have a bilingual ceremony, because my husband's family were not able to come. The program and invites were in both languages.

It'll be fun. It's like having 2x better the wedding putting the 2 cultures together.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards