Wedding Woes

Extreme Couponing

We watched this last night after Sister Wives. Wow. This show makes me feel like I am throwing my money away. I told H, we need to look into this...

However, I do not want my house to start resembling a grocery store. I would go insane if we had to put a pantry in our bedroom. However, buy one get one free on butter would be something we should do.

I would never buy over 50 bottles of mustard. Ever.

Re: Extreme Couponing

• They went to Kroger. I think we can all guess how I feel about that. You want to deprive Safeway or Stop&Shop of profits? Be my guest. But keep your coupony mitts off my family income!
  • I need to watch this show.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

A good chunk of the couponing money comes from the brands themselves. The store doesn't take that big of a hit - they get reimbursed from Sargento or Purina or Land-O-Lakes or whatever.

I forgot to tell you couponing poo-poo-ers that I saved $16 off of a $64 bill at Target on Thursday. Won't qualify me for the tv show, but I'll take 25% off just the same.

• H's cw is like this. I told him he needs to take H shopping and teach him his ways.

Did you see that the one lady spent TWO HOURS just checking out? Oh hell no.
  • I'm kidding, DG. If I really cared that much, I'd shop at Kroger (which we can't afford here in Denver). 

I appreciate the cheapness of the people on that show, but all I saw in the ~5 minutes I watched was boxed, processed food after boxed, processed food. I'd rather pay full price for small amounts of actual food than get 90% off twenty-seven boxes of cereal. 
  • DG1DG1 member
    Oh yeah. My $16 did not significantly increase my check-out time, nor did I spend hours planning the trip and clipping the coupons.  It's a nice balance, imo.  

• Yes, BMom. One lady mentioned fresh produce, but I never saw it. It was all paper products, cleaning supplies, and packaged food. The problem I have with coupons is that I don't use the products that are in the circulars.
  • BM, the store gets that $ back, plus a few pennies for processing, from the manufacturer.  Sure, it's not as easy as the customer handing over $20, but the stores are still reimbursed.
    imageimage
  • That's my problem with the couponing:

Everything seems to be prepared foods, and some of the most expensive, non-organic cleaners and such available.  No fresh produce, eggs, milk, and surely no generic brands either.  Plus I have a huge issue with food waste, so I really don't like buying any more than we need.  Whatever I saved would be a much bigger waste of $$ if I threw it out because it spoiled, or I just can't stand the stuff and won't ever eat it or use it.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We regularly have general produce, deli and dairy coupons here.  Sometimes it's only for that store's brand (which is fine by me) or for 2% or for 2 lbs. of something.  I have not had an issue saving $ on fresh food/staples.
    imageimage
  • DG1DG1 member

I got a dozen free eggs at Target last week.  It happens.  I've also had coupons for any cheese (from the "real cheese" people) or for any brand of yogurt (from a dairy association, I believe).  You'll also sometimes see them for milk, especially for soymilk or almond milk.  

It's not as common, but it happens.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards