North Carolina-Outer Banks

Photographer suggestions?

Hey Knotties! I am so glad I decided to read the message boards on the knot and found the OBX board, you girls and guy have some great advice! Hope I'm not being too "needy" asking for everyone's opinions but it is really nice to hear what you all have to say! That being said, the one thing I have done absolutely no research on is photographers! As I mentioned before we are on a limited budget but I don't even have a clue where to start when looking for a photgrapher! I'll do a little research before I start my actual search but as always I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! Thanks so much! 

Re: Photographer suggestions?

• We were on a very tight budget and the cheapest we could find was Keeler and Denson Photography.  We LOVED them.  I would be happy to send you a link to our pictures if you are interested.  We had a package that included 3 hours and was $600.
    May 25, 2012
  • Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like....that's why we're here :)

The OBX Wedding Assoc is a great place to find all of your vendors.  I linked them in a post or two below this one and it's also at the top of the page, with a blue sticky pin beside it.  There is a lot of helpful advice in both of those threads.

Everyone has different tastes & styles and especially budgets when it comes to photographers, so it's important to find one that speaks to you and that you feel comfortable with.  I recommend going to the assoc. page and going to each photogs site and looking at their albums of weddings they have done throughout the years.  You may also find some shots that you and FI would like to have, so make sure you keep a separate list of those special shots. 

I used Outer Banks Productions and absolutely love Doug & Michelle, who are a husband and wife team.  They videoed my SIL's wedding a few years ago and just did 2 sets of family portraits for us last week when we were on vacation.  I am happy to share the link to my photos as well.  There is also a slideshow on YouTube at "108 Budleigh Charlene & Brent".  I attended the wedding expo and received a discount if I booked by Feb 15th and for $1,200 (which was my max limit) I got 2 photographers for 4 hrs (we ended up paying for a 5th hour the night of the wedding, which most are more than happy to stay), 100 4x6 prints, 2 8x10's, the slideshow and ended up with 6 DVD"s and all of the rights to the pictures. Make sure that you have all of the rights b/c without it, you cannot own the images to do what you please with them.  Having a 2nd photographer was really important to me and with everything included for the $1200, I couldn't pass it up. 

Look at different photogs albums and shop around for something within your budget.  I know that Matt Lusk is sought after and he does some amazing wedding, as well as coastal suf shots, so he is one to consider.

• came upon bruce coleman upon recommendation . didn't know about him but looked at his website and he's got some beautiful pictures.

http://www.colemanshotsweddings.com/index2.php

good prices on packages when compared to others.

any feedback on him?
  • I'm partial to Matt Lusk because that is who we are using in a few weeks, however he books QUICKLY and might be out of your budget. If I may ask, what is your budget for photography? FI and I considered photography in our top three of expenses along with venue and catering(which is together with us getting married at the Sanderling). Let us know! We will help you out the best we can!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm checking out the photographers websites now! As far as our budget, I have no idea? No clue as to what wedding photography costs! I had to laugh as I chatted online with my FI today (our only means of communication since he's deployed.) He said, "I don't want a video or someone hovering over me all day taking pictures!" I asked if he knew who he was marrying! LoL I'm a total picture person and this is our once in a lifetime day so I know I want lots of pictures! Plus it is such a beautiful location! I told him the professionals take their shots in an unobtrusive way!

I also told him about the "trash the dress" photos! He liked that idea, told him we could do that at sunrise cause he mentioned us having a sunrise ceremony! Not for me as I am not a morning person! Then, I asked what time he thought would be good for our ceremony and he said between noon and 3pm! After I explained that we had to check tides etc so I thought 4-430 would be better! I wish he wasn't so far away while we are doing all this planning but I'm looking forward to his return in spring so we can go explore the OBX! Hope everyone is having a good weekend! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_photographer-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:944803ba-a756-40fc-8ce1-7a56095b9cbfPost:4d24174d-3ae4-4443-9693-a27754fb659d">Re: Photographer suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]came upon bruce coleman upon recommendation . didn't know about him but looked at his website and he's got some beautiful pictures. <a href="http://www.colemanshotsweddings.com/index2.php" rel="nofollow">http://www.colemanshotsweddings.com/index2.php</a> good prices on packages when compared to others. any feedback on him?
    Posted by dcchow2000[/QUOTE]

We're using Coleman Shots! It's actually Rich Coleman (unless he has a brother Bruce?). Rich has been really great though, answering my million questions and offering suggestions on when to have the ceremony for the best pics and other timing questions. Our ceremony isn't until June, but we got our engagement pics taken a few months ago, and we're really happy with how they came out. I can send you a link to our album if you're seriously considering them.
  • I suggest looking at Sarah D'Ambra Photography. I am using her next month. I was shocked at the cost of photography and she was by far the most budget friendly...and still quality, creative photographs!
  • I really like Melissa Stallings Photography.  www.melissastallingsphotography.com, I wish I would've gotten her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_photographer-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:944803ba-a756-40fc-8ce1-7a56095b9cbfPost:4d48cdc3-2357-4545-a5af-7cb55ffc26ae">Re: Photographer suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like Melissa Stallings Photography.  <a href="http://www.melissastallingsphotography.com," rel="nofollow">www.melissastallingsphotography.com,</a> I wish I would've gotten her.
    Posted by ChristinaJoey2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Funny you posted on my question about photograpers because I just read your review and copied what you said in your post about having a friend or family member do the photography! I had mentioned to my future MIL about the expense of photographers. She suggested that I have a friend do it or an aquaintance who would maybe give me a deal on it! I do have a friend who takes great pictures and has even had some published so I thought for a "nano second" about asking him! BUT I stopped and thought I'm only getting married once in this dream location on the beach and I want photos that my husband and I can cherish for a lifetime! Even if we have to get a smaller package I definitely plan on having a professional shoot the ceremony and our pictures after the ceremony! Since we're having a laid back BBQ, I don't  really need the professional to shoot that because I think it would be really cool to have the family and friends take lots of pictures there! </div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry it was rainy on your day! I live up the coast in Virginia Beach and we've had rain almost every day for the last 3 weeks! So there have been a lot of OBX brides having wet weddings! The way I look at it even on a stormy day the beach is beautiful! :-)</div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you everyone for your suggestions! </div>
  • I agree - go with a professional, even if it's for a shorter amount of time.  You'll be happy that you did!  Also, some photographers from outside of the OBX will do the same amount of work for less than those in the OBX, even with travel expenses. 
    image June 22, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_photographer-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:944803ba-a756-40fc-8ce1-7a56095b9cbfPost:bb13e008-d665-4965-9e0c-76b5a15b7bf7">Re: Photographer suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm checking out the photographers websites now! As far as our budget, I have no idea? No clue as to what wedding photography costs! I had to laugh as I chatted online with my FI today (our only means of communication since he's deployed.) He said, "I don't want a video or someone hovering over me all day taking pictures!" I asked if he knew who he was marrying! LoL I'm a total picture person and this is our once in a lifetime day so I know I want lots of pictures! Plus it is such a beautiful location! I told him the professionals take their shots in an unobtrusive way! I also told him about the "trash the dress" photos! He liked that idea, told him we could do that at sunrise cause he mentioned us having a sunrise ceremony! Not for me as I am not a morning person! Then, I asked what time he thought would be good for our ceremony and he said between noon and 3pm! After I explained that we had to check tides etc so I thought <strong>4-430 would be better!</strong> I wish he wasn't so far away while we are doing all this planning but I'm looking forward to his return in spring so we can go explore the OBX! Hope everyone is having a good weekend! 
    Posted by ACJD714[/QUOTE]

Most of us went with a 4:00pm or later ceremony.  That way, you have plenty of time for post pictures, so cocktail hour flows nicely during this time and into the evening with a dinnner around 7:00. 

• If you're on a tight budget, consider some photogs that aren't in the OBX. Many will travel. We especially liked Bridget McEnaney, but she was booked for our day. 

Here's a link to her site...

• Photography was a hard issue for me, probably because I am a wedding photographer myself! There are some awesome photographers in the OBX area and the Raleigh area! 

Just ask around, the best advice I can give you is really find someone's style you love, and work from there!  It's more about what type of pictures you will get and how happy you will be later!    

I'll travel back to OBX anytime for wedding photography too!   :) 

Good luck! 

Kristin

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards