Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much food?

Is there like, a food calculator somewhere on the internet that could tell me how many pounds of pasta/sauce to order for different amounts of people? IDK if we're having a caterer, so we would have to buy these on our own.

Re: How much food?

• edited December 2011
    myplate.gov defines serving sizes for all kinds of foods.
  • edited December 2011
    While Elisabeth's idea is very helpful, it might also be helpful to consider that people eat differently at a party than in a regular dinner setting and that certain dishes will be more popular than others and you should plan to have more of the one than the other.  For example, the fettucini alfredo might be a lot more popular than the butternut squash ravioli (know what I mean?)  You might want to consult the website like Elisabeth said to get an idea of the portion and then come back here and do a popularity poll to see which things might be more popular.  Additionally, if you have 3 different kinds of pasta each person might take a bit less than a "regular" serving of all three rather than just taking a full serving of one.  Just keep that in mind. 
  • edited December 2011
    Also, people definitely eat more than the recommended serving size of pasta.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_much-food-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0d1f9f97-0113-4376-8f2e-cb5b516125bcPost:7809c85b-c40d-41d1-9fb5-7a959b2cfe18">Re: How much food?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, people definitely eat more than the recommended serving size of pasta.
    Posted by megkbush[/QUOTE]

I eat more than the recommended serving size of everything :) 

Check out the website, but also just make some pasta for yourself.  Spaghetti comes in a 1 lb box.  Cook the box (or half of it) and figure out how many plates it would make. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards