April 2012 Weddings
Options

Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)

So, last night I had to come to terms with my feelings. These feelings of hesitation have been resurfacing several times in our relationship and now was the time to really face it. I turned to my parents for advice. They’re amazing. They've been married 29 years and were engaged after 3 mo of dating, married 3 mo after that. No doubts for my dad, my mom did worry she was moving too fast. My father is an ordained minister with 30+ years of serving the congregation. He has helped many couples in pre-marital and marriage counseling.

I sobbed like a little girl and explained it all to them. They reassured me that there is nothing wrong with feeling this way and it is best to do this now than later. Don’t worry about the money or what people would think if you call it off or postpone. Any mature adult would understand that calling it off before is much wiser than waiting until it’s too late. If they’re not mature enough to see that, then you don’t have to worry about their opinion.

Neither told me what to do, but I can tell my mom is leaning more towards me ending it. Our issue is one stemming from my FI’s legal situation that causes him to not be able to make as much pay as he should, putting a heavier financial burden on me than I can take sometimes.

My father put it quite frankly. You will never find someone perfect for you. That doesn’t exist. There will always be things wrong with the other. You can always do better. You can never be 100% certain that this is right. There is always that small chance that there may be something hidden. At the end of the day, money doesn’t matter. In my case, don’t hold yourself back because of a few thousand dollars.

My dad said there are only 2 questions that you need to answer YES to: Do you love him? Do you want to marry him? If you have even the slightest hesitation on either, then stop. Everything else can be fixed or dealt with.

After only sleeping 2.5 hours last night due to my FI calling/texting me constantly, crying & freaking that I was going to leave, I realized that although I can live without him, I don’t want to. I told him this morning that I decided to continue on and we’re going to meet later to discuss what has been worrying me and what we can do to help that.

I hope that my father’s words of wisdom can be of some help to someone else. 

Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)

• Options
    this is great advice. a few months ago i had the same issue- i got really cold feet, especially because FI turned the wedding into something so huge (he's inviting over 300 guests) and overwheming (his culture his completely different than mine), that i wanted to call it off. however, after a week or so on my own (i asked for some time apart), i realized that i want to be with him, no matter what.
    so, for anyone with cold feet, i suggest some time apart, and not going to a million people for advice. just do what you think is right. if the wedding itself is the source of the problems, remember its just one day, and after one day you'll be able to begin a life together.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:f3754863-25bb-489c-b51c-8f04cf943e9d">Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]this is great advice. a few months ago i had the same issue- i got really cold feet, especially because FI turned the wedding into something so huge (he's inviting over 300 guests) and overwheming (his culture his completely different than mine), that i wanted to call it off. however,<strong> after a week or so on my own (i asked for some time apart)</strong>, i realized that i want to be with him, no matter what. so, for anyone with cold feet, i suggest some time apart, and not going to a million people for advice. just do what you think is right. if the wedding itself is the source of the problems, remember its just one day, and after one day you'll be able to begin a life together.
    Posted by adrenalina19[/QUOTE]
    Wow, I wish my FI saw things that way. I kept asking for time and he wasn't giving it. I understand his concern because this is huge. Major kudos to your FI for giving you the time that you needed. It obviously was what you needed to make a clear decision. 
  • Options
    Good for you RL, for seeking help with your parents.  I know from previous posts you've been going back and forth and I'm so glad you have someone you could talk to that helped you put it all in persepective.  :)

As we get closer to our wedding dates, I think emotions run high.  I defintily feel that the wedding stress is taking its toll, but I try to remember that it's just a party.  If -  when it's all said and done, i'm married to the man I love - then it went well...regardless of the drama. 

Hugs and I'm so glad you were able to sort out your feelings!!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:b38ee5a0-aadf-4ef4-be6f-b86d9044422d">Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good for you RL, for seeking help with your parents.  I know from previous posts you've been going back and forth and I'm so glad you have someone you could talk to that helped you put it all in persepective.  :)   As we get closer to our wedding dates, I think emotions run high.  I defintily feel that the wedding stress is taking its toll, but I try to remember that it's just a party.  If -  when it's all said and done, i'm married to the man I love - then it went well...regardless of the drama.  Hugs and I'm so glad you were able to sort out your feelings!!  :)
    Posted by chickenbut143[/QUOTE]
    Thank you, I appreciate it. It felt really good to put my ring back on this morning. I guess I'm not 100% out of the woods yet because we haven't gotten together to talk about my concerns. I don't forsee anything happening that will make me change my mind, but I do hope that he can see my perspective and understand how deeply this affects me. 
  • Options
    Good post.

Photobucket

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I am not having cold feet.  But I applaud you for being so strong and sharing your story with us.  I am really glad you have been able to come to a conclusion and I wish the best for your an FI!!!!  Good luck girl!
    wedding countdown
  • Options
    Your dad sounds amazing.  I'm not having cold feet, but his words of wisdom are good for any person to hear.  Thank you for sharing them.
  • Options
    leffingleffing member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012

Am I the only one who teared up while reading this?

Wow. First off, you have amazing parents. Secondly, I'm so glad you posted this. I've been scared of marriage since I was a little girl and saw it destroy my parents in an ugly divorce that cut me off from my father entirely. So, I've been having cold feet for a while now ever since I met the love of my life and said yes. I love what your father said. What I love more than anything is the fact that I can honestly answer "yes" to his two questions. :)

So exciting!! Good luck to you on your conversation with your FI. :)

April 2012 Feb. Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon: Excellence, Dominican Republic Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:b9397dfa-ccdc-44e0-9c95-83f3cda64bd9">Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your dad sounds amazing.  I'm not having cold feet, but his words of wisdom are good for any person to hear.  Thank you for sharing them.
    Posted by acbp2011[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for the compliments, ladies.<div>
    </div><div>Yes, my dad is amazing. I might be a tad biased... :) I go to my mom for more day-to-day issues, but when there is a major life changing event...it's my dad. He is known within our community to be 'calm cool and collected.' That's something I have yet mastered. Cool side note: he's a musician and master guitarist, although he is fluent in piano, harp, dulcimer, upright bass and several other instruments. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:a00bdb63-de43-4e24-97f8-b6916977046d">Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one who teared up while reading this? Wow. First off, you have amazing parents. Secondly, I'm so glad you posted this. I've been scared of marriage since I was a little girl and saw it destroy my parents in an ugly divorce that cut me off from my father entirely. So, I've been having cold feet for a while now ever since I met the love of my life and said yes. I love what your father said. What I love more than anything is the fact that I can honestly answer "yes" to his two questions. :) So exciting!! Good luck to you on your conversation with your FI. :)
    Posted by leffing[/QUOTE]
    Oh wow, that must have been so hard on you growing up. Our childhood experiences really do mold us into who we are now. I know that FI grew up in a religiously divided household where his parents would often fight and not speak for weeks. I have a feeling that this is why he is so scared to give me space & not speak to me. He doesn't want to repeat that bad example. <div>
    </div><div>I, on the other hand, have NEVER seen my parents fight. Yes, they disagree on what car to buy or when to throw out the old sofa, but no fights. I'm sure they happened, but they were careful to shield me from seeing that. My father's parents weren't the best & he vowed to never ever be like them. In his words, 'being angry isn't an option for me. So if it isn't an option, I have to find other ways to deal with it.' </div><div>
    </div><div>So no matter what you're experiences are, you learn from them. You either learn to imitate them, or learn to not make their mistakes. Looks like you found a keeper!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    No you are not the first to tear up!

Thank you for your amazing post and honesty.  I'm not having cold feet right now, but I do remember asking myself if this is right.  I know now in my heart of hearts that this is who I want to be with for the rest of my life.  Please know that you are in my prayers as you meet with your FI to discuss things.    Your parents sound like amazing people!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:46a5b14e-228e-4f67-b06b-705a6074667a">Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]No you are not the first to tear up! Thank you for your amazing post and honesty.  I'm not having cold feet right now, but I do remember asking myself if this is right.  I know now in my heart of hearts that this is who I want to be with for the rest of my life.  Please know that you are in my prayers as you meet with your FI to discuss things.    Your parents sound like amazing people!
    Posted by clcranda[/QUOTE]
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Apparently he stayed home from work because he is so stressed over this. I refuse to tell him what my issues are because that is just not a topic for text/phone. In about 3-4 hours I'll be with him. Should be interesting!
  • Options
    Aw RL, you're in my thoughts. So sorry you're experiencing this, but you're right, better to face it and get through it now rather than later. These issues, if they are affecting you so deeply, are probably not going to just float away on their own.

Let us know how your talk with FI goes. I'm anxious to hear. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:05194a40-7aea-4ee7-865e-9e9fb4e06538">Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG) : Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Apparently he stayed home from work because he is so stressed over this. I refuse to tell him what my issues are because that is just not a topic for text/phone. In about 3-4 hours I'll be with him. Should be interesting!
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

good luck and let us know how it goes!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:7b254d5a-7a41-4de7-bfec-1825b87c5ea4">Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG) : good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Posted by adrenalina19[/QUOTE]

Sending you good vibes
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Hope things go well once you have a chance to get together with your fiance and he can step up to address some of your concerns.  My fiance needs to do the same thing!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, and good luck! 
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all of your well wishes, hugs, prayers and kind words. This is one amazing group of women here.

I'm glad to say that everything went well and the wedding is still on. I told him everything that bothered & hurt me. He then came back with all of the reasons why I shouldn't feel that way. Then back and forth...until he realized that he can't tell me how to feel. More importantly, he is the reason that I feel this way. The gravity of the situation finally hit him. He didn't even go to work or eat all day yesterday, thinking that I was going to meet him last night to break up with him.

It was rough, but there was no yelling or anger. He told me he understood how much this situation hurt me and how I really shouldn't be dealing with it. Apparently he's been secretly working extra to remedy the situation but didn't tell me because he didn't want to burden me more. He kind of got that one a little backwards. He knows what he has to do now and even more so once we're married. He is willing and able. That was all I wanted.

The night ended with him re-proposing. What he said this time was kind of better than the first time!! We're meant to be together and sometimes you need to almost lose what you have to really appreciate it.
  • Options
    i'm so glad to hear it!!!! this will only make you guys stronger!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am so happy for you that things turned out well!!
    wedding countdown
  • Options
    This is why I love this board!  Not only are we active and fun, but we are real people coming to each other about our real lives.  We celebrate and support each other.  Best board on TK!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    Wow Great post. I can relate totally. Thank you for sharing your father's words of wisdom. It's helped me too. :) Best wishes to you and yours!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_girls-with-cold-feetcome-in-here-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:b782db85-0268-4c4b-9e25-5fb29229a4afPost:80df3f63-472b-470b-8807-8f30b60c9b81">Girls with Cold Feet...Come In Here (LONG)</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, last night I had to come to terms with my feelings. These feelings of hesitation have been resurfacing several times in our relationship and now was the time to really face it. I turned to my parents for advice. They’re amazing. They've been married 29 years and were engaged after 3 mo of dating, married 3 mo after that. No doubts for my dad, my mom did worry she was moving too fast. My father is an ordained minister with 30+ years of serving the congregation. He has helped many couples in pre-marital and marriage counseling.   I sobbed like a little girl and explained it all to them. They reassured me that there is nothing wrong with feeling this way and it is best to do this now than later. Don’t worry about the money or what people would think if you call it off or postpone. Any mature adult would understand that calling it off before is much wiser than waiting until it’s too late. If they’re not mature enough to see that, then you don’t have to worry about their opinion.   Neither told me what to do, but I can tell my mom is leaning more towards me ending it. Our issue is one stemming from my FI’s legal situation that causes him to not be able to make as much pay as he should, putting a heavier financial burden on me than I can take sometimes.   My father put it quite frankly. You will never find someone perfect for you. That doesn’t exist. There will always be things wrong with the other. You can always do better. You can never be 100% certain that this is right. There is always that small chance that there may be something hidden. At the end of the day, money doesn’t matter. In my case, don’t hold yourself back because of a few thousand dollars.   My dad said there are only 2 questions that you need to answer YES to: Do you love him? Do you want to marry him? If you have even the slightest hesitation on either, then stop. Everything else can be fixed or dealt with.   After only sleeping 2.5 hours last night due to my FI calling/texting me constantly, crying & freaking that I was going to leave, I realized that although I can live without him, I don’t want to. I told him this morning that I decided to continue on and we’re going to meet later to discuss what has been worrying me and what we can do to help that.   I hope that my father’s words of wisdom can be of some help to someone else. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards