October 2013 Weddings

Dress first???

I've been told by several people that I should get my dress before making any "set" plans like flowers, invitations, the "fluff" that makes it all pretty :o) But I actually don't want to go shopping just yet. I'm a ways out and I don't want to really love something now and be afraid to buy it yet, but I also want to do as much as possible spread throughout our engagement so it's not all at once. Any one have any advice or do you think that you SHOULD get your dress first? Thanks ladies :o)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress first???

• I don't think you should get your dress first, because dress styles and your dress style may change over a long period of time. But there's no harm in looking, in my opinion. 
  • Like Lauren said, styles change.  I am also implusive.  I feel like I will buy a  dress now and then in October i will find a different dress.  I just did the major things already.  I might look for a JP over the summer.  I don't plan on dress shopping until october.  I guess it doesn't hurt to look around and see what the different prices are.  It will definitely save you time when you are ready to book.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • I saw do what you are comfortable doing. We bought our flowers first and I actually found my dress already. I did the I only want to look thing, went to a couple stores and fell in love with one. Luckily it wont be in for a long time since its a Casablanca and they make the dress to basically fit you, height and everything which is major since I am not even 5'2.

• SweetB7SweetB7 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I think, like most of the other girls, you should wait on purchasing a dress. Like previous posters put, styles change, you don't want to purchase one now and fall in love with a different dress down the road and be stuck with the one that you originally bought without being completely happy with it. I also watch Say Yes to the Dress and they say to stop looking after you find the dress. Well, personally with my wedding being in October 2013 I am not ready to be done looking yet! :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I watch that too!! Awesome show. Thanks for the advice ladies :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually did buy my dress first. I wanted to do the looking to get an idea of what would work for me but also to see what I could get for my money. I went to David's Bridal and House of Brides but I couldn't get comfortable, plus they treat you like cattle a little. Get em in get em out and the service is usually lacking. Then I went to this boutique looking for a specific dress that I loved online and came across a different one that was discontinued and thought what the hell it couldn't hurt. I fell in love. Fit me like a glove and it was nothing I had ever seen before, I felt beautiful and bridal. I had never felt that way before and knew it was the one. Much like a fiance, I say you know when you know. Don't put restrictions on yourself for time, you'll know your dress when you feel it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_dress-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:71b83cae-97d2-462b-8c80-cd74c7067f1ePost:fd55aee6-58f8-4252-8f0a-baa215b58d6f">Dress first???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been told by several people that I should get my dress before making any "set" plans like flowers, invitations, the "fluff" that makes it all pretty :o) But I actually don't want to go shopping just yet. I'm a ways out and I don't want to really love something now and be afraid to buy it yet, but I also want to do as much as possible spread throughout our engagement so it's not all at once. Any one have any advice or do you think that you SHOULD get your dress first? Thanks ladies :o)
    Posted by lconoran[/QUOTE]

I kind of see it as your dress will set the style and tone for everything else.  I am not going shopping for my dress until later this year - and once I do i will then select Bridemaids' dresses and things like that - flowers and things though won't be based off your dress.... if you know you want white - or even a color in your dress - just remember that when planning your flowers  -    I personall know Red has to be in the mix because I want red on my dress - honestly if I could a red dress i would be thrilled - but that is outlawed by the powers that be - so I need a dress with red accents - or a red train even
    ~diana
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards