Christian Weddings

Kim Kardashian is divorcing Kris Humphries :(

I don't know why I care but I feel appalled by this! Not sure if it is because of the $10 milion dollar wedding, the shortness of their marriage or the fact that people nowadays are throwing in the towel too easily.

Re: Kim Kardashian is divorcing Kris Humphries :(

• kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I was shocked and appalled as well, for all of the reasons you  mentioned. Ick. :(
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I'm not surprised...

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    A friend of mine posted on FB that their marriage cost 10K per MINUTE. 

Sheesh. 

But, ditto Faith, I'm not at all surprised. 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • edited December 2011
    I'm really not suprised either. You don't put your marriage, honeymoon, and newlywed months out in the media and also have a lovely, strong marraige. I think it says a lot about how superficial, greedy and self-centered some people are, especially when it comes to marriage.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that how they planned to start their life together was less than ideal but what could have possibly happened that after 72 days you say "forget it"? It just saddens me that this is how people are treating marriage like an excuse to throw a big party and get free gifts. I am sure there are other ways to gain attention and become famous. Its just ridiculous!
  • yodacubyodacub member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I was appalled as well.  I don't care in the least about hte Kardashians, but really, you can't handle marriage for more than 72 days?
  • tinaklingtinakling member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Ladies, it just tells us how much threat the marriage institution is under, it's quite sad!
  • BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs... I'm not surprised, but it saddens me to see how little marriage means in the popular culture of today...
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not at all surprising, but not being a part of their relationship we have no idea what else was goigng on.  My cousin was with her now ex-husband for 5 years before they got married.  She moved out 2 months later and they were divorced 4 months after their wedding.  She had second thoughts before the wedding but didn't know how to get out of it.  I can imagine that if Kim K. was having second thoughts she'd really struggle with how to call it off, as public as the whole thing was/is.
  • edited December 2011
    I was married on the same day as them...
    I'm not surprised either, but I just feel terrible whenever a marriage does not work because I see it as such a sacred and precious gift. 
    I just feel blessed to know that I have married a man that I am ready to make it work with for the rest of my life and the Lord will give us the strength we need for anything in our lives. 
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I am not surprised at all.  Anyone could see it wasn't going to last.  I hear she made $18 million on the wedding??!?!  I think we all know why she went through with it.  But still marriage is no longer sacred in the eyes of many.  :(  That makes me sad.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_kim-kardashian-divorcing-kris-humphries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:24effca0-2e5d-4502-be1d-9f4136d81a28Post:731b25f6-52d2-4c5f-ab7e-6f3b6c2a536c">Kim Kardashian is divorcing Kris Humphries :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know why I care but I feel appalled by this! Not sure if it is because of the $10 milion dollar wedding, the shortness of their marriage or the fact that people nowadays are throwing in the towel too easily.
    Posted by mattycam[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yea, not only are people nowadays throwing in the towel too easily, but they are also jumping into marriage too easily too. I'm not saying that there is any certain time period a couple should date before they get married, but I know Kim and Kris weren't together very long and I'm *guessing* that they didn't have a lot of time for marriage-prep amidst the publicity of the wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>So many people go into their marriage with the attitude of "if it doesn't work out, we'll just get divorced." That really saddens me. A lot of people prepare so much for the WEDDING, that they forget to prepare for the MARRIAGE.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm not saying that's what happened with Kim and Kris because I don't know their situation. But I think it does happen a lot more these days than it used to. </div>
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They renewed their vows earlier this month on Ellen.  It's really sad when two people treat marriage as another source of entertainment.  I read an article saying that she was married before and he didn't know that until after they married.  I don't think they were ready to be married (just call me Captain Obvious).
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's sad how little thought people give to marriage these days. I was reading an article earlier today - the Kardashian marriage lasted longer than at least ten other celebrities. Yeesh!
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't extremely shocked whenever I heard this, but it did make me sad...for Kim. Because I'm a fan of the family. And just from what I've seen on the show, etc. I think Kim has always wanted to be married and have a family and all of that. Well, Kourtney has Mason and Scott. Khloe has Lamar (which, btw, I know they've been married for a while, but THAT marriage was more questionable from the beginning to me...just sayin. Maybe not now, but at the beginning). Kim HAD Reggie Bush for a long while, but then that went sour (for what reason anyhow?).

I think she really idealized every relationship she's been in since Reggie so she could find her "true love" who she may have already had and split up with. I think she wanted so badly to be married and have a family with someone that she ignored what her heart was really telling her, which was that marrying Kris was a bad idea. I feel bad for her that she's having to get another divorce...but I'm glad she didn't stick around in a marriage that was wrong for her. If it's not right, it's just not right. Nothing is gonna change that. Two people who are wrong for each other can be together and be fine, but I don't think "fine" is good enough for her. It's not what she truly wanted out of life. Who really wants to settle anyways? Just to be married and be someone's wife? It's not worth it.
    the reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. ~nicholas sparks<3</center>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_kim-kardashian-divorcing-kris-humphries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:24effca0-2e5d-4502-be1d-9f4136d81a28Post:4e49b516-46b7-46f9-83d6-1586efc48da1">Re: Kim Kardashian is divorcing Kris Humphries :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wasn't extremely shocked whenever I heard this, but it did make me sad...for Kim. Because I'm a fan of the family. And just from what I've seen on the show, etc. I think Kim has always wanted to be married and have a family and all of that. Well, Kourtney has Mason and Scott. Khloe has Lamar (which, btw, I know they've been married for a while, but THAT marriage was more questionable from the beginning to me...just sayin. Maybe not now, but at the beginning). Kim HAD Reggie Bush for a long while, but then that went sour (for what reason anyhow?). I think she really idealized every relationship she's been in since Reggie so she could find her "true love" who she may have already had and split up with. I think she wanted so badly to be married and have a family with someone that she ignored what her heart was really telling her, which was that marrying Kris was a bad idea. I feel bad for her that she's having to get another divorce...but I'm glad she didn't stick around in a marriage that was wrong for her. <strong>If it's not right, it's just not right. Nothing is gonna change that. Two people who are wrong for each other can be together and be fine, but I don't think "fine" is good enough for her. It's not what she truly wanted out of life. Who really wants to settle anyways? Just to be married and be someone's wife? It's not worth it.</strong>
    Posted by staybeautiful1717[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I think all of that are choices you make. You <em>choose</em> to make it work. You <em>choose</em> to love your spouse and you <em>choose</em> to be committed to your marriage. </div><div>
    </div><div>The whole idea of "if it's not right, it's not right" is why so many people end up getting divorced because the second it gets ugly (which I'm guessing occurs a whole lot earlier than you think) they split and say they're just not ok with a "fine" marriage. When I get married I forefit every right I have to be personally fulfilled outside of my husband. It's two becoming one. I don't have the right to have a better life without him, because I chose this life. </div><div>
    </div><div>Unless there is abuse or infidelity I think you're stuck-- and even infidelity is a questionable one in my book. </div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Again, I have no idea what was going on in their relationship, but I agree with Rebecca that many people jump to the "well,  that's over" thought too fast.  H and I could have easily split a couple of times when things got hard.  We fought long and hard, and we're in a much, much better place now, but 3 years ago I didn't know if we were going to make it or not.  That didn't mean it was time to say, "oh well, it's just not right" and walk away.  Is that the best option for some people in some marriages?  Sure, but I'm 100% sure that some of those marriages that end could have been saved if people had felt strongly about saving a marriage.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the fact that her first bump into the spotlight was a sex-tape that was "accidentally released" of her and a former BF, should pretty much have been the worlds first clue that the idea of marriage couldnt have been a high priority for her... seriously... not surprised either... This is going to sound horrible but... does the woman even take herself seriously... I doubt it... and I cant imagine she expects anyone else too...
  • edited December 2011
    I completely agree with Rebecca.  People give up on marriage WAY to easily these days.  Its not going to be all butterflies and everything being happy all the time.  Relationships are hard work as are marriages.  Its a choice to love someone and to stay with them and to stick it out in the hard times and be by there side. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not saying they didn't give up too easily, because 72 days being married is not long at all. They certainly could've tried harder to make it work. But working to stay together when you don't really love each other, in my opinion won't necessarily save the marriage. Yeah, maybe you'll stay married longer, but that doesn't mean it's better. Putting effort into something is always a good idea. But who's to say one of them didn't put in effort while the other just shrugged it off? We don't know exactly what goes on in THEIR lives. Nobody knows exactly what goes on in other people's lives, especially celebrities. Just because they split after 72 days doesn't mean they didn't try.

I don't think divorce is a good thing, but I think it CAN be. Why stay "stuck" in a marriage that isn't what's best for you? If you're not happy and you've tried to fix things with no success, then why stay? And although we may all have our opinions as to how long is "not long enough" to try to fix things in a marriage, we cannot judge her for getting out of a situation she's not happy in. Well, we shouldn't.
    the reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. ~nicholas sparks<3</center>
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I totally have no idea what happened in their marriage and I know that. I just know that going into marriage with the idea that someday it's ok to have an out if it's not working is not good. 

Love is 100% choice. I don't think you ever arrive at a place of divorce without making  the decision to not be in love anymore. (Unless in the case of abuse or infidelity).  I don't think divorce should ever be an option. It's a choice to make it work. Sure, there is instances of one spouse being left and not having the option, but we should never go in with the idea that someday I'll be able to get out if I'm not happy. I know there will be times I'm not going to naturally feel happy or in love or naturally feel like I want to be married. 

Marriage is making the choice to vow "til death do us part" every day and until one of us croaks... we're stuck ;)
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • edited December 2011
    We got married the same day they did.  I don't feel sorry for her; b/c she's an adult and I feel the whole thing was money and rating generated.  Now she'll make more money off the divorce.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards