Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Where to go?

FI got a new job and can't take off like we had hoped. We were planning a cruise but can't go now. Therefore his parents have offered to send us anywhere we want that we have the time to go. We have four days including drive time and are leaving from the Charleston wv region. Our current front runners are DC and Pigeon Forge. The trip would be in Nov. Where would be the most fun to go? What would you suggest doing if you have been there?
I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Where to go?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-to-go-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:97e1f69f-960c-46e8-a390-54437ad637e0Post:686b33a8-b5e6-4452-86f7-f2f3ad2cfd3a">Where to go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI got a new job and can't take off like we had hoped. We were planning a cruise but can't go now. <strong>Therefore his parents have offered to send us anywhere we want that we have the time to go.</strong> We have four days including drive time and are leaving from the Charleston wv region. Our current front runners are DC and Pigeon Forge. The trip would be in Nov. Where would be the most fun to go? What would you suggest doing if you have been there?
    Posted by fridaysdance[/QUOTE]

Can you fly somewhere?
  • Options
    We have thought about that but there are only flights to a couple places that would be back in time. Our airport is fairly small.
  • Options
    how long does it take you to drive to DC?

• Options
    What type of honeymoon do you what?  Something where you are surrounded by the hustle and bustle (along with shops, great restaurants, and sights).  Or do you want to get away from everything and have something quiet? 

Another suggestion is Charlottesville, VA.  It's a very beautiful area with vineyards and rolling hills nearby in the Shenendoah Valley (Blue Ridge Mountains are nearby).  It's a college town, so there is civilization (nice restaurants and shops).  If you like history there are three former presidents homes all on beautiful land.  I believe it's a closer drive than DC.

• Options
    I think it takes around 7 hours to get to DC. I'm not sure. Haven't been in a while. We want something where we could stay somewhere nice and quiet but have an easy commute to fun things to do. That's why we liked Tenn, plenty of cabins in the hills but stuff to do fairly close. We are just looking for options. Sorry for the delay. I was in a class.
  • Options
    I would highly recommend Washington DC, but it sounds as though you'd be driving, and having a car in DC adds to your expense. Most of the hotels charge an additional $25-$50 per night to simply have your car in their garage. You might have an easier time if you stayed outside the main area, in one of the surrounding suburbs, but I am not familiar with them.

My son lives in DC and we have stayed at the State Plaza hotel, which is in Foggy Bottom. It's about a 5 block walk to the Lincoln Monument. It's a former apartment building turned into a hotel, and they have full kitchens with sinks, microwaves and refrigerators. There is a CVS drug store around the corner that sells a lot of food, so we've always saved money on the food bill (which probably cancels out the cost of leaving your car).

DC is full of history, monuments, museums, all free. That's why it's such a great place to visit. You can walk just about anywhere in the main area near The Mall, which again, is near the hotel I mentioned. But you have to be ready to walk, because from one end of the mall to the other is about a mile, even though everything looks close.

All the Smithsonian Museums are along the sides of the Mall, again, really close. You can take the Metro subway system to Arlington National Cemetery, plus other places. It's safe & easy, and once you do it for the first time, you'll be fine. You won't want to drive around anywhere in DC because there is no where to park, and if you find a place, it's expensive.

For the museums I highly recommend the American Natural History Museum (the gems, Hope Diamond, other science-y things are there), the History Museum, and the Space Museum is really great too.

Restaurant we loved is Founding Farmer's, really great food, maybe in the medium-high priced range. But if I were going to recommend one place, that would be it.

If you are going there, look up the websites for one of your US Senators.......... some have the special tours they arrange under "constituent services". Through your Senator (or Congressperson) website you can get some pre-arranged times for tours of the Library of Congress, occasionally the White House (depends on time of year and how far in advance), the Capitol Building, and others.

I also HIGHLY recommend going to the Bureau of Engraving, where you can see sheets of dollar bills stacked 3 feet high on pallets........it's a very cool tour to take and the souvenir shop at the end sells uncut sheets of bills from $1 to $50, plus others.

We also went to Charleston SC which is a very romantic town, lots of history, and probably still pretty warm in November. Not sure how far that is from you.

I highly recommend looking up a few things at www.tripadvisor.com once you decide on the few towns you want to choose from. They have great info on things to do, plus reviews by real customers of hotels and restaurants.

Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-to-go-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:97e1f69f-960c-46e8-a390-54437ad637e0Post:4dc1a7be-d43c-425e-a69f-e965d5da53bd">Re:Where to go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it takes around 7 hours to get to DC. I'm not sure. Haven't been in a while. We want something where we could stay somewhere nice and quiet but have an easy commute to fun things to do. That's why we liked Tenn, plenty of cabins in the hills but stuff to do fairly close. We are just looking for options. Sorry for the delay. I was in a class.
    Posted by fridaysdance[/QUOTE]

the reason i ask is becuase you could easily fly someplace for FAR shorter than 7 hours. 7 hours is almost a whole awake part of the day!! if it were me i'd find out where you can fly direct to (maybe it is DC but only a 2 hour flight instead of a 7hour drive-plus traffic time) within 3 hours or so and go there. no way would i want to spend 14 hours of only a 4 day trip in the car-without counting traffic. just a thought....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards