Catholic Weddings

Where is everyone?

It's been too quiet this week!   I have no good thread ideas, though.  Anyone?  Any lurkers want to come out and talk?  Any regs want to chat? 

Re: Where is everyone?

• newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm supposed to be working on construction documents... don't tell anyone!  :)  How's it going?
  • I'm working on a cover letter, trying to spin my teaching experience into, "I can do just about anything."  My kids are doing a scavenger hunt review.  =)
    Anniversary

• On top of trying to get things in gear for wedding planning and planning a trip to see my mom get her PhD in May, I'm dealing with the real possibility that my grandmother (who I live with) is not as well as we thought, and dealing with some other drama in my extended (non-blood) family.

I don't really want to go into too much detail, but prayers for strength and patience for me and my family would be greatly appreciated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You and your family are in my prayers Kamankanani!

I have two huge tests this week so I am just trying to study for those and hopefully do really well!  :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Prayers your way, Kamakanani!  I, too, am trying to keep accomplishing wedding planning stuff, but it's stressful.  I'm such a weirdo about getting everything done SUPER early, when in reality I'm really on top of everything. 

I'm totally stressing about NFP.  It's so hard, I tell ya!  I am so envious of people who find it easy.  And I'm also envious of people who don't feel totally grossed out and like, psychologically damaged from it lol.

• Resa, what are you struggling with in NFP?  How long have you been trying to use it?
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Prayers to you Kama!

FI and I finally had found the church we wanted to attend a couple months ago.  We've been going whenever we're not out of town and we still love it.  Last night they had a newcomer info session to meet the priest and stuff and it just solidified that we want to go there.  The priest is so wonderful! And the church community is just fantastic too!
  • edited March 2012
    Chelsea, that's AWESOME!  I know it's important to find a Church you like.  I still belong to the same parish I've been in since birth, and I feel lucky that my parish is so awesome!

Catarntina, I've been semi-charting since October, when I read TCOYF.  I then took a CCL NFP course, which began in Jan and ended a couple weeks ago.  My struggle is that I have signs of fertility every single day lol.  I don't know if it's me being terrible at making observations, or if it's a health problem, or what, but yeah...it's not usable for me at this point.  I also can't pinpoint ovulation.  I'm pretty much exactly the same (temp, CM, sensations, etc) for 3 weeks, and then get my period for a week, and then am exactly the same for a fewweeks , period, and so on.  I also have extremely varied cycle lengths (15 days, 112 days, 30 days...it's pretty whacky). 

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:88b4ccf8-67fa-4c01-b86c-322ac59cdea6">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chelsea, that's AWESOME!  I know it's important to find a Church you like.  I still belong to the same parish I've been in since birth, and I feel lucky that my parish is so awesome! Catarntina, I've been semi-charting since October, when I read TCOYF.  I then took a CCL NFP course, which began in Jan and ended a couple weeks ago.  My struggle is that I have signs of fertility every single day lol.  I don't know if it's me being terrible at making observations, or if it's a health problem, or what, but yeah...it's not usable for me at this point.  I also can't pinpoint ovulation.  I'm pretty much exactly the same (temp, CM, sensations, etc) for 3 weeks, and then get my period for a week, and then am exactly the same for a fewweeks , period, and so on.  I also have extremely varied cycle lengths (15 days, 112 days, 30 days...it's pretty whacky). 
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I had great difficulty in the beginning of my charting because I had continous cm. Creighton helped me differentiate all the different kinds, as well as discovering I had a cervical eversion, which I had treated and took care of a lot of it. 

</div>
  • edited March 2012
    I can differentiate the different kinds, but in CCL NFP, ANY CM means abstaining if you're TTA.

• Les me clarify that I used to get different kinds of CM (although I didn't chart before, I'd  read the old CCL NFP book and knew all about it).  I don't get them anymore.  I only get the thick, crumbly type now.

• You never have a temperature spike with ovulation?  According to the "rules" then, you aren't ovulating if you're using STM.

Have you tried tracking things in software, like fertilityfriend.com, or using the software that came with TCOYF ( you can download a free trial from their website).  The software can see the patterns, apply the rules, and maybe help you see if you are ovulating and when you're fertile, etc.

If you still can't figure out when ovulation is, I'd definitely try to find a Creighton teacher.  I think Creighton would be plenty benefitial in that case.
    ---------
    Anniversary

• edited March 2012
    Thanks for the advice!  I might need to try software.  I actually have a temp "drop" when I get my period, and then just as my period ends, a spike.  So I'll be as low as 96.7 during my period, but after my period I'm 97.7-97.9 every day.  It's so weird.  I even got a new thermometer because I thought maybe mine was just broken! 

I'm hoping it'll get normal soon.  I had a several week long period recently (Nov-Jan), so I am guessing my body is just recovering from that. And I'm sure stressing about it doesn't help!  I just started day 1 of a new cycle today, so I'm trying to be optimistic that THIS is the cycle where I'll normalize!

• Resa, I was having similar issues, where it seemed like my temp just wasn't changing at all.  When I bought an actual basal body thermometer, it became a lot easier.

I hope you figure it out soon!
    Anniversary

• So... for how many days approximately is it "low" during your period, and in what approximate range, and then for how many days approximately after your period is it "high," and in what approximate range?
    Anniversary
  • oh yeah, if you don't have an actual basal thermometer, you *definitely* need that.

I'm also curious- what did your CCL teachers say when you took the class? They should have at least been able to confirm with your charting whether you were ovulating, and if not, I'm surprised if they didn't try to help you find a doctor who could help figure out why you weren't ovulating or supplements that would help your CM regularize.
    Anniversary
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:78c80331-f216-41cc-bf9b-587b53d41526">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Prayers your way, Kamakanani!  I, too, am trying to keep accomplishing wedding planning stuff, but it's stressful.  I'm such a weirdo about getting everything done SUPER early, when in reality I'm really on top of everything.  I'm totally stressing about NFP.  It's so hard, I tell ya!  I am so envious of people who find it easy.  And I'm also envious of people who don't feel totally grossed out and like, psychologically damaged from it lol.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>You'll thank yourself a month before the wedding at being an overachiever :)  Way less ulcer-development risk!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:0969e754-5165-4f45-bf4b-c2c6bc2aece3">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]On top of trying to get things in gear for wedding planning and planning a trip to see my mom get her PhD in May, I'm dealing with the real possibility that my grandmother (who I live with) is not as well as we thought, and dealing with some other drama in my extended (non-blood) family. I don't really want to go into too much detail, but prayers for strength and patience for me and my family would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted by Kamakanani[/QUOTE]

<div>Sounds like a tough time all around :-(  Prayers for you and your family!!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:38db8edc-4baa-4124-ae19-b009dc63137a">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the advice!  I might need to try software.  I actually have a temp "drop" when I get my period, and then just as my period ends, a spike.  So I'll be as low as 96.7 during my period, but after my period I'm 97.7-97.9 every day.  It's so weird.  I even got a new thermometer because I thought maybe mine was just broken!  I'm hoping it'll get normal soon.  I had a several week long period recently (Nov-Jan), so I am guessing my body is just recovering from that. And I'm sure stressing about it doesn't help!  I just started day 1 of a new cycle today, so I'm trying to be optimistic that THIS is the cycle where I'll normalize!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

Have you had your thyroid checked recently?  Seriously, temperatures below 97 <em>could </em>indicate a thyroid problem.  And since your temp is spiking after AF, I wonder if you're ovulating DURING AF but not seeing the mucus because of the blood (would explain 15 day cycles, too).

Use a Basal Body Thermometer, try some software -- if results don't improve, I would get your thyroid checked by your PCP.  If that comes back normal, schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN or someone.

My pre-O temps are between 97.3 - 97.7, and post-O is 97.9 - 98.4, so 96.7 seems very, very low to me.
    ---------
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:19a191be-d353-48d4-9d44-c230bf2a7770">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Les me clarify that I used to get different kinds of CM (although I didn't chart before, I'd  read the old CCL NFP book and knew all about it).  I don't get them anymore.  I only get the thick, crumbly type now.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>Maybe check out that "Living the Sacrament" forum to see if you can get any feedback from folks?  My sister and her husband took Creighton like my husband and I did... she had to do the yellow stamps for continuous CM and was able to start differentiating with the help of her instructor... so I'll echo the other ladies at recommending Creighton if the issue sticks around.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:0bb23d7c-5687-417e-960f-db5d87f29f09">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can differentiate the different kinds, but in CCL NFP, ANY CM means abstaining if you're TTA.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

Nope...not in creighton method. That's what I'm talking about. It differentiates between fertile type, build up, and "stuff that's there that has nothing whatsoever to do with fertility but another health condition".
  • I've had ny thyroid checked by my ObGyn and primary care in the last couple months, and everything is "normal." I have really short cycles sometimes, like 1015 days, as well as cycles up to 40 days. I've always had that. My longest cycle was over 100 days. My NFP claas was too big for individual help, unfortunately.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:8182e279-f1b8-4058-aaa7-c7cc3440063e">Re:Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had ny thyroid checked by my ObGyn and primary care in the last couple months, and everything is "normal." I have really short cycles sometimes, like 1015 days, as well as cycles up to 40 days. I've always had that. My longest cycle was over 100 days. My NFP claas was too big for individual help, unfortunately.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>For Creighton, we went through FertilityCare Centers and they provided one-on-one instruction, which was super helpful... here's some in the DC area:  <a href="http://www.fertilitycare.org/maryland/" rel="nofollow">http://www.fertilitycare.org/maryland/</a> </div><div>
    </div><div>I'd keep the BBT thermometer and symptothermal knowledge handy, though... sometimes it would be nice to be able to cross-reference another fertility indicator besides CM!  I love having crazy cycles... not.  Mine are pretty long and I get super excited if one is shorter than 40 days! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:c7e6ff48-060e-4e0c-8fa1-e1bc68d7d974">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is everyone? : You'll thank yourself a month before the wedding at being an overachiever :)  Way less ulcer-development risk!
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

<div>Part of it is the fact that from October through February is a crazy busy time at work, so I'd rather get stuff done before that than in the month and a half before the wedding.  It's more overachieving for laziness sake lol.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:7ac4d524-d0a0-4341-a1d2-5881d36d5a10Post:6a5094ee-9bf9-4778-9fb5-c12f20813059">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is everyone? : Sounds like a tough time all around :-(  Prayers for you and your family!!
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the prayers all.  It's truly needed.  I'm really trying to just focus on the here and now, the blessings I have and the positive, but thanks to human condition, sometimes I feel like I just can't handle, and there are moments even at work where if I think about the goings on, I feel like I'm going to cry just to release.  Luckily FI is a wonderful strength for me, and there have been times where I just look at him, and he knows I need a good cry and he just holds me.</div><div>
    </div><div>Offering it all up and praying for guidance has been helping a LOT too.  Sometimes the answers I get aren't what I expect or was wanting, but already the blessings in the answers are slowly becoming clear.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ressa -- what you're describing doesn't sound "normal," even if it is what is normal for you. Crumbly discharge doesn't sound fertile to me (no matter what method you use or how you describe it, fertile mucous is wet and stretchy or else really wet sensation-wise). I would really look into Creighton instruction and a NaPro doc who might have a larger bag of tricks for figuring out what your body is doing. In the mean time, Newly's advice to get help from the ladies at Living the Sacrament is a good one. They have instructors there who would be happy to look at your charts and do some troubleshooting while you're waiting to get started with in-person, actual instructors.

I'm doing ok. I'm starting to feel the exhaustion of after-Spring-Break teaching combined with increasing exhaustion/discomfort from pregnancy, so by evening I'm pretty fried. It's making it hard for me to keep up with my grading at work, but I'm loving feeling how active our little girl is and love seeing how much joy my H gets from her.

*sending hugs and prayers to all those who need them, for whatever reason*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've actually seen a Napro doctor and didn't get much help from her, even after she looked at my charts.  And I tried to sign up for Creighton classes, but when I called the number I got from FertilityCare Centers, the guy was really rude and acted like I was being SO ridiculous to ask when the next session begins, etc.  He told me he has no idea when the next session will be, but not for awhile, so to sign up for some other form of NFP.  So that's what I did LOL. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards