Military Brides

Will the military pay for our move?

Ok, so we're getting married in May. He's been stationed in North Carolina for over three years, and I live in California. Will the military pay for our move? All my Internet research is pointing to no. :(

Re: Will the military pay for our move?

• misskaylaxmisskaylax member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry that I can't be of help, but I was actually wondering the same thing so I'm anxious to hear what other ladies have to say about it.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When he gets a PCS (permanent change of station - basically, orders to relocate) then the military will pay for a move for him from his duty station (North Carolina).  I've also heard about being able to have one move from his permanent residence, so if you live near where he's got marked as a permanent residence (usually where he grew up), then perhaps it'll work out that they can move your stuff to his new duty station.  Otherwise, your options are to pay for it yourself, or to somehow get your stuff to North Carolina so it can be moved with his stuff - in this case, that sounds more expensive no matter where he goes.  If someone lived 100 miles away and was getting relocated 1500 miles away, then it would make sense to move the stuff so the military can move it together.  When you're already across the country, chances are your best option is just to move it yourself.

This is just what I've heard - I haven't been through it personally yet.  Other girls will likely have more information.

Anniversary

• meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Basically, no. They will pay for him to move, but unless your stuff is in his house they won't pay to move yours. Sometimes the moving company will do a second pick up from a location within 30 or 50 miles, like a storage unit. They won't move your stuff from CA, though, sorry. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    We got married in July and moved did our PCS in September.  Since his official orders were cut before we got married, I wasn't even on them, and they didn't pay for my move at first.  It wasn't until he checked into his new station and did his travel claim that they gave us the money for me as well.  

Because of that, we were limited on weight as well.  They only gave us the single person weight limit, but luckily we still stayed under that with my stuff as well.  We lived about 2 hours apart before the wedding, and we had to move my stuff ourselves to his apartment before the movers came.  I brought stuff every time I would go see him, and then we did one big trip where we borrowed a truck.  But because of moving it there ourselves, and the weight limit, we chose not to take any of my old furniture.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_will-military-pay-move?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d999fb3b-88b6-4183-959e-175dc58a860aPost:6031fa7c-9818-44ad-9e78-9de6562a6f26">Will the military pay for our move?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, so we're getting married in May. He's been stationed in North Carolina for over three years, and I live in California. <strong>Will the military pay for our move?</strong> All my Internet research is pointing to no. :(
    Posted by Woofy1989[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by "our"? If he is reporting to another duty station after the wedding but received his ordes before the wedding- I know you can amend the orders to include you (since you will be married at the time of the move). However, if you are looking to have your move to him paid for, then the answer is no.
  • Epic07032011Epic07032011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have to be on the orders to have them help with anything, and both your stuff has to be in the same place.

We're PCSing right now and it is a major pain with so much PAPERWORK!

Once you're married, talk to some other wives, and get the "list" of things you have to do, like SGLI and your ID and TRIcare etc etc etc. Gah, what a process. And have your marriage certificate with you.

And, most of all, congratulations, dear!
  • edited December 2011
    By "our move" I mean that he will be moving my stuff with me. But I do live near his parents, so if all it took was me putting my stuff in his house, I'd be all over it.

One of his buddies said he qualifies for one DITY move. But he said if we use it to move there, we can't use it to get back. Soooo I'm thinking I'm taking as little as possible, and we'll just accumulate stuff while we're there and bring it back when they WILL pay for it. It's not like I want to take a ton of furniture really. Just like my clothes and books and stuff like that. But it's still kinda a lot. Thanks for all the info, guys!
    edited December 2011
    How far are you from him now?  I would honestly just rent a small Uhaul and pay out of pocket to move that stuff if that's all you want to take.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'll be moving from CA to NC. It's about 3,000 miles. Gas alone for a UHaul would be about $1,000. I'm not really feelin' it... That's why I was hoping there was a better option. :\
  • edited December 2011
    Do you think UPS-ing a bunch of stuff would be a logical way to do it?
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    UHauls also charge about $800 or more for one-way rentals, so that gets pricey.

Have you looked into Door-to-Door storage units?  Pods is one company, I'm sure there are more.  They give you a giant box (it's like a mini garage) and then you fill it up and lock it, they put it on their trucks and move it for you.  Then you unload it in the new location.  It's cheaper than a moving company because you're doing the labor yourself, but wouldn't require you driving your stuff.  When I was moving from DC to Miami, they quoted me $2,000.  It's not cheap, but it's an all-in cost (no gas, or incidentals like food/hotels during the drive) and so sometimes it's cheaper than UHaul and a lot easier.

If you only have a few things, you can have someone fly with you and carry stuff in suitcases (I suggest Southwest Airlines, as you can get 2 bags for free).  Then fly back for a visit and fly back again with 2 more bags.  This is how my friend moved from Chicago to LA - drove there with her car packed full, then flew home to visit her family a few times and brought back the rest of the stuff that didn't fit the first time.

Boxes at USPS cost around $25 each, if I remember, when I shipped them from my dorm to my parents' house.  But that's without insurance, and it's rather risky.  I definitely wouldn't ship anything even remotely fragile, valuable, or of sentimental importance this way.  UPS or FedEx will charge an arm and a leg.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    Shipping it through the post office or UPS would be really expensive.  But depending on how much you have to move, and what it actually is (if it's just clothes mostly) it might work out to be much cheaper still.  I think it's a really funny way to move, but it might be worth it.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_will-military-pay-move?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d999fb3b-88b6-4183-959e-175dc58a860aPost:5546f64d-ea9f-4fd7-ab87-979b3faed34a">Re: Will the military pay for our move?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shipping it through the post office or UPS would be really expensive.  But depending on how much you have to move, and what it actually is (if it's just clothes mostly) it might work out to be much cheaper still.  I think it's a really funny way to move, but it might be worth it.  
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

I did this when I moved from college to NYC-- I just shipped a bunch of boxes of clothes, kitchen stuff, a TV, and some books. It actually only cost me about $500, including the packing supplies. I just had the post office do it the slowest way possible, since I wans't in a rush.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

DH and I drove my stuff from PA to CA.  Altogether, for hotels and gas, we paid $750 and that was when gas was more expensive.  However, he pulled the U-haul with is Elantra, which probably means we used less gas than you would, and we shipped my car.  Shipping my car was the expensive part.

At Christmas my in-laws shipped us presents.  One box cost them $75 through UPS.  IMO it seems like that could be just as costly as driving in the end.

Does your FI have any footlockers (referring to the black boxes they take overseas)?  I know USPS ships those for like $15-$20 regardless of weight.  I'm not sure if that is only to bases though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • HeatherBobHeatherBob member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know for us, in the Air Force, they reimburse us to move. Not sure if that helps, but we move, then they give us the money it cost.
  • edited December 2011
    If he has already used his "Home  of Record Move" then you are on your own. if his home of record is where you live and he hasnt used it he will have to file for it at his TMO office and they will pick up at any address in the home of record town. So if you live in San Diego and his HOR is san diego then it will work but only if he has not used it yet. Even if you guys PCS the military will only pay for from the base he is located at to his new base. Hope this help. If you have any other questions let me know as i am in the military.
  • prodigalgirlprodigalgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I moved a year and a half ago from TX to FL (it was the farthest west point in TX... Houston was practically the halfway point).

I looked into the PODS and packrat containers and they were going to run WAY TOO MUCH to do the move.

I looked into Uhaul, but they charged for miles and all sorts of extra things.

Then, I ended up going with Penske.  They rented me a truck for a week and they didn't charge for miles or anything.  It was a flat fee for the week.  It ended up being perfect.  It gave me a day to pack it, a few days to drive and a couple of days to unpack it.  I was very pleased.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    His sister (whose husband was also a Marine) said that the military paid for their move after they got married, and their situation was similar. So I'm gonna see what information she comes up with. Otherwise, I think I might look into the suitcase thing. I was reading about the TSA policies, and it said that active military members could have up to three suitcases free. Soooo maybe we'll just do that. Haha. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards