Arizona-Phoenix
Options

Venue Deposits

Okay ladies, I need some help. We're looking at a ton of different venues, but I think we've narrowed it down to a few favorites. Here's the problem: the deposits!! Every venue has a different deposit policy! Some have a flat deposit, some do a percentage of the total, and some will even break it down into monthly payments!! Of course, the venue that has a lower deposit is much more expensive overall, and the venue that fits nicely into our budget requires a third of the total down. Is it tacky or unreasonable to ask the venue to negotiate on the deposit?? Have any of you done that before? We have about $2000 saved up so far, but the venue we like best requires $3500 down. By the time I save up the extra $1500, I'm afraid our date will be booked!!

Re: Venue Deposits

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have not booked a venue yet myself, but I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.  Just make sure that you will truely be able to afford the venue, if you are having issues coming up with the initial deposit, I'd be worried about being able to work with the rest of their payment schedule.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can't hurt to ask and see if they're willing to work with you on it.

Don't forget to figure in the service charges that are typical for venues, and any minimums that they may have.

Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would ask them what they can do for you.  $3500 seems awful high to me.  Our deposit was only $1500, but I'm pretty sure we got a $500 discount since our wedding is on a Friday.  It never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no :)
  • Options
    sboobear03sboobear03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $3500 seems very high. Our venue has a flat rate deposit of $1200. I dont think it would hurt to ask for a lower deposit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DEFINITELY negotiate the deposit! Every venue we looked at was really accomodating about breaking up the payments. Like my mum always says, the worst they can say is no :)

This is not a small amount of money you are spending, so they understand that most people don't have $3k lying around. It's not tacky, it's being a savvy bride.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's the real dilemma.... I get a healthy bonus every month from my work, so paying for the wedding is really a non-issue - I'm definitely blessed in that way. But the venue that fits comfortably in our budget requires almost $3500 down. I could book the more expensive venue for a $1500 deposit, and guarantee I get an October date, but that would REALLY be stretching our budget.... Or I could wait until the 19th of next month when I get my bonus and be able to put down the deposit for the venue that we really want, and take the chance that October is long gone... Do you think if I  offer them $1500 to hold my date for 30 days (knowing full well that I'm going to put the deposit down, and offering it as non-refundable), that they'd jump on it? I hardly know anyone who has $3500 laying around for a deposit.... And one of the most expensive venues around (Boojum Tree and Aldea) only require $500 to hold a date, and $1000 down 14 days afer...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My venue held my date at no cost.  I would just ask.  Honestly, it would be to their advantage to take what you can give them now anyway.  I think you're over-analyzing the situation (I do it too) and that if you offer it to them, they will readily accept - unless they have already said no.  I have heard of many venues holding dates at no cost until there is other interest in the date.  At that point, you would have to pay the deposit to ensure you get the date.  $3500 still seems high, but you should be able to get them to hold it until you can make the deposit next month (with or without giving them $).  I would honestly just call and ask and put your mind at rest :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think asking if you can hold it until x date or hold it with a smaller deposit until x date is perfectly within the realm of contract negotiation, especially is x date is next month. If it is next month, they should be ok with it, because, in their eyes, if you back out, there is still a good likelihood of re-booking the date.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice ladies!!! I offered a smaller deposit to hold the date for 30 days until I can put all of it down, and they said NO PROBLEM!!!! I can finally sleep tonight!!! You Knotties are the BEST!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay! I'm glad it worked out for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards