New Jersey
Options

When did these rings get so popular?

Those antique-looking square or round rings with the "halo" around them:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7813

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/14k-Gold-1ct-TDW-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-H-I-I1/1856191/product.html

There's a post on the Just Engaged/Proposals board where people are showing their rings, and a ton of them are in these styles. Two of my friends have these, too.

It just seems like they sprouted up in popularity all of a sudden.

Re: When did these rings get so popular?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is like that. When I picked mine out, I picked it because it was different. Not so different anymore...but you still don't see them all the time.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love them. I have always liked a ring like that.
    My ring I guess is similar (with pave setting around my center diamond)

Never really thought of it as vintage. I just didn't like all the other rings I was seeing. We started designing my ring-and sure enough started seeing more rings like that. Just love it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love them too I was going to get a ring like that if I got a pear, but I got a family heirloom instead, but it defintley has that antique feel. They definitley went out of style and came back.

I think it honestly might be because of the economy. The center diamonds might be smaller, but a band like this makes it sparkle and is more visually inteeresting, taking less focus off the smaller center diamond. I always loved them, but just a theory....
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think they're nice. And I haven't seen a ton in real life, but I guess I've been seeing them a lot on here because there's a higher concentration of new brides, lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BM whos getting married in March is like that. Yes, I agree you see them a lot more often now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: When did these rings get so popular?:
    [QUOTEI think it is honestly might be because of the economy the diamonds are smaller, but a band like this makes is sparkle and is more visually inteeresting, taking less focus off the smaller center diamond. I always loved them, but just a theory....
    Posted by anika6200[/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't go as far to say it's popular because the center stone is smaller. My center stone is quite large imo and is much larger than most of my friends who are engaged or married.  I think it's probably more of a "unique" setting that people like....not that it's very unqiue any more.

With that being said...yes, the "halo" or whatever they're calling it, creates an illusion of a bigger diamond. 

In terms of making it sparkle more...I don't think that's true.  Typically the higher the diamond is set, the more it sparkles.  Most setting like this the diamond is set into the "halo", making it a little less sparkly because the light doesn't hit it as easily.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks CVL!!!

My center stone is by no means small.
    Also sparkle has to do with the overall quailty of the diamond.

I love what I love. And this style of ring is what I love. My taste is by no means cheap-o. Ask my FI.

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree about picking something different. I picked something with a pattern engraved on the band because I wanted some visual interest without straying too far from a "traditional" setting.

FI said I would've gotten a three-stone had he picked it without my input. Also a nice choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_did-rings-popular?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:08519d89-4ed9-4504-ab56-ef7e51c4d1d1Post:577177d5-bb57-4767-a942-998ba85913f5">Re: When did these rings get so popular?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In terms of making it sparkle more...I don't think that's true.  Typically the higher the diamond is set, the more it sparkles.  Most setting like this the diamond is set into the "halo", making it a little less sparkly because the light doesn't hit it as easily.
    Posted by cvl105[/QUOTE]

True. More diamonds does not necessarily equal more sparkle. Isn't it more cuts/Facets? How much light shines through?

I love those pretty and different settings and styles. But I think it's all relavant to your particular style. FI was with me and we tried on tons of styles, but I couldn't fall in love with that type on my finger so he just went with a plain princess solitare. A girl I work with has about the same total weight as my diamond but hers is four diamonds set up to look like a solitare (does that make sense)? And hers is just as sparkly and pretty as mine.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the "antique" look, love the Ewardian era, that is what I wanted...something different. That is why I have one.  Something timeless..
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_did-rings-popular?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:08519d89-4ed9-4504-ab56-ef7e51c4d1d1Post:437e7139-6298-4f39-9e92-315362dac4b6">Re: When did these rings get so popular?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it honestly might be because of the economy. The center diamonds might be smaller, but a band like this makes it sparkle and is more visually inteeresting, taking less focus off the smaller center diamond. I always loved them, but just a theory....
    Posted by anika6200[/QUOTE]

I agree somewhat, not necessarily that the stone is smaller, but that while some people like the style, I think there are also many who want to make their diamond appear larger (no matter what size it is).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was saying that I have always liked them, and I am not saying anyone's FI is cheap! I always wanted a ring like that, 2-3 years ago it was very unique (also why I liked the pear).  It was just a theory as to why they have gotten popular again. Buying a $1000 more expensive band vs. $1000 more expensive diamond I think you would get more illusion of size with the halo than you would with an extra thousand dollar diamond because with size the price increases exponentially.

In terms of the economy or in general. It could always be the diamond industry pushing them on people because they feel like bringing them back or from an economy standpoint smaller diamonds are probably more popular due to the economy now in terms of necklaces, bracelets, earrings etc. so the more they can mass produce one thing the easier it is for the manufacturers.  It is the same as fashion houses push certain trends which gets translated to cheaper costs for manufacturers if they can make clothes with the same color etc. which is often why both high-end and low-end clothing is made by the same manufacturer....
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they are pretty. I didn't love them at first but they grew on me. My coworker has one she got engaged about 4ish years ago.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why can't I add I quote today?

"I think there are also many who want to make their diamond appear larger (no matter what size it is). " Melissa82

I agree, this will always be the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards