Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

midnight buffet

We are having our wedding in July.  It is going to be on a Friday and the ceremony will not start until 7 or 730pm.  Our ceremony is not going to be long - 30 minutes max.  So we don't need to feed everyone because it is going to be so late when we are finally ready, but we really would like to feed everyone really well when it comes to the midnight buffet because they will not be having dinner with us - so, I need some ideas.  I was thinking beef on a bun, shrimp, fruit and veggie trays.  What else would I be able to put out???

Re: midnight buffet

• BlueBoxBrideBlueBoxBride member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Will you be serving alcohol before midnight? When I think of "late night snack" foods I think: -cheese fries (*we're doing Parmesan sprinkled truffle fries) -sliders -tacos (you can get creative with these) -pizza You know, to soak up the alcohol!
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • edited December 2011
    I don't usually eat dinner until at least 7, so I would be expecting dinner, or at least heavy hors d'oeuvres immediately following the ceremony.  If you plan to serve hors d'oeuvres, dance, then have a midnight buffet, I would be okay with that.  I like Blue's ideas for food.
  • edited December 2011
    You need food and well before midnight unless you want a sloppy drunken mess of a party!

A lot of people, for the evening weddings do hors d'oeuvres for a couple of hours - just be sure to mention that people aren't getting fed a full meal so they can prepare ahead of time.
  • edited December 2011
    Typically, wedding in my area (at least Philadlephia where I am originally from), do not start until later at night, and dinner is served about about 8:30/9:00pm. I think dinner is necessary at an evening wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly I would skip the midnight buffet and just serve dinner. 7:30/8:00pm to me is around dinner time, and I would definitely be expecting some sort of food at a reception that began at that hour. 
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be expecting dinner or at least heavy hors d'oeuvres after the ceremony. People would have to leave their homes 6 or so. To be drinking and not be fed for 6 hours or more may cause problems. Also, if people are not being fed, they may not stick around until midnight.
  • edited December 2011
    I think you can get away with heavy hors d'oeuvre, then cake, then a midnight buffet. But start at 7:30/8. Also, how long is your reception? If it's 6 hours, I'd just move it up to 6 and serve dinner. My reception was from 6-11 and we had cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres, then dinner, then cake and everyone had enough food.

It's slightly weird to have a long, full reception and not have dinner. You're doing it backwards. Most people have late weddings with hors d'oeuvres or dessert receptions to avoid having a long reception and feeding people lots of food.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_midnight-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0b225dda-6462-41a8-8795-72dad5f42b9fPost:b129ff14-a7c8-4cff-af4f-9ad69cb3015a">midnight buffet</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having our wedding in July. <strong> It is going to be on a Friday</strong> and the ceremony will not start until 7 or 730pm.  Our ceremony is not going to be long - 30 minutes max.  So we don't need to feed everyone because it is going to be so late when we are finally ready, but we really would like to feed everyone really well when it comes to the midnight buffet because they will not be having dinner with us - so, I need some ideas.  I was thinking beef on a bun, shrimp, fruit and veggie trays.  What else would I be able to put out???
    Posted by manningdodge[/QUOTE]

<div>I just caught the bolded part.  If people are going to be getting off of work, going home to change, then heading straight to your wedding, I don't think they would necessarily stop and eat.  They're probably expecting food.</div>
  • manningdodgemanningdodge member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I should have been more specific - sorry guys!  We have been together for over 7 years, have a 6 year old and are trying to save $ any way we can.  I figured if we did a buffet at around 10:30pm, by time we cut cake, did speeches and 1st dance it would leave a little window for people to dance before they ate.  We are definitely not doing a traditional wedding, so I just thought that this would save a little $ along the way as well!
  • BlueBoxBrideBlueBoxBride member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think people usually dance after dinner, not before. I would bump up the buffet by a few hours. That way, they'll get an hour or so of dancing in before they have to leave (if they have kids).
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_midnight-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0b225dda-6462-41a8-8795-72dad5f42b9fPost:5f4a304d-bae2-4d4a-9d70-b2c990851ca7">Re: midnight buffet</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should have been more specific - sorry guys!  We have been together for over 7 years, have a 6 year old and are trying to save $ any way we can.  I figured if we did a buffet at around 10:30pm, by time we cut cake, did speeches and 1st dance it would leave a little window for people to dance before they ate.  We are definitely not doing a traditional wedding, so I just thought that this would save a little $ along the way as well!
    Posted by manningdodge[/QUOTE]

And we're saying that if you're doing the buffet anyway, you might as well make it "dinner."

Now, if you move the ceremony to 8pm, you could get away with lighter fare/desserts/a cocktail reception, which will save money.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    IMO, I would totally be unhappy if I went to a wedding and didn't eat for 5 hours (7 ceremony and midnight buffet) and even if it was at 10:30, that's still too much time to go without eating.. yes, some people have dinner at 5pm, but others will be getting ready for your wedding at 5 and expecting a dinner once they're there. 

Someone already suggested pushing it later to 8pm.. this would be a great money saver because you could cut an hour off of all your vendors time AND not have to serve a buffet but either heavy hor dourves or a 'late night snack' ... HOWEVER, if a meal is not served it is best to include this in the invitation ("ceremony at 8 and hor d'ourves to follow" kind of writing)

Best of luck! xo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards