September 2012 Weddings

Garter Toss

So, my FI is refusing to do a garter toss. He says he hated being forced out there to try to catch and he will not be throwing it himself. So, whatever, I guess its not worth a fight, I've seen weddings where it doesn't happen. My question, can I still toss the boquet if I want to or is there some other tradition I can do in it's place? 

Re: Garter Toss

• We are having an anniversary dance. All married couples will be invited to the dance floor. As the song goes the DJ will dismiss couples by years and the couple that is standing the longest will get my bouquet and the garter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's a great idea!! I don't see why you couldn't just do the toss on it's own... I feel like half the time I don't even remember the garter toss haha I'm not etiquette expert, so I'm not sure how others would respond to that but if you want to do one still I say do it!
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think I'll be doing the bouquet, and up here the garter is auctioned off.  I'm not a fan of it because I think it's asking for money, but someone usually starts in anyway. 

I think you can still do the bouquet if you want.  If he wants to do something with his guys, you can have the single guys come up and do a toast/huddle kind of thing. 
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • I don't see any reason why you can't toss your bouquet just because your FI doesn't want to toss the garter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • I agree with the others, I totally think you can still do the toss! 
    We are doing the tosses, and also doing an anniversary dance because we couldn't pick, so I am going to have a small gift for the anniversary dance :) 
  • Up until a few days ago I was planning on just doing the bouquet toss. Now I don't think I'm doing either. You don't HAVE to do either one, and you don't HAVE to do anything in their places, but like PP suggested, I think the anniversary dance is a good substitute.
    Anniversary
  • Jessa, LOVE your bouquet!
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • We're skipping both tosses. It's just not something we want to do and we're really the last single couple so there's really no point.
    I wanted to do the anniversary dance but I don't want to remind my grandmother of her loss; it's been a tough adjustment since my grandfather passed.
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_garter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:5b8b4e08-42c4-4763-819e-208405594ecaPost:7d537341-9f5f-4114-8f2a-9e70b5a5b950">Re: Garter Toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jessa, LOVE your bouquet!
    Posted by adktd2boots[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks! It's not exactly what I want but it's the closest I can find. I'm meeting with 4 florists this month, hopefully someone can develop my vision for me.</div>
    Anniversary
  • I'm not tossing either. We're pretty darn close to the last of our friends to get married. We won't have that many singles. I *hate* singling people out. FI and I have been together for 12 years and it was miserable for people to literally push me onto the floor during the bouquet toss. It's like they were expecting me to knock people out to get the flowers. 
  • Thanks girls- I like the idea of an anniversary dance, maybe we'll think about that.
  • I'm not doing either and think you can do just the bouquet!!
    January Siggy ****weight loss**** image Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm still undecided on this. 

I have seen the garter toss done by the bride and the bouquet done by the groom though.  Just to switch it up and it can sometimes be cute to see the girls put the garter on a guy.

Just another option.
  • ugh I hate the tosses but FI likes tradition so we'll do it. 99% of people aren't single though haha
  • FI didn't want to do it either, until I found this picture on Pinterest.  Now he can't wait.  I'm just hoping he doesn't go into Tom Brady mode and take out a table or two.

If he doesn't want to do it then I don't see why you can't still do your bouquet toss.  I've been to plenty of weddings that have done the bouquet and not the garter.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    220 image 123 image 21 image
  • i am doing the bouquet but not the garter toss. IMO, the garter toss is just so awkward and weird, i don't want Dan to be up my dress with my entire family watching.
    Happily married since 9/1/2012!
    The Whimsical Wifey
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_garter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:5b8b4e08-42c4-4763-819e-208405594ecaPost:2ed1d0d2-fe87-4078-820c-98f551a0df00">Re: Garter Toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]i am doing the bouquet but not the garter toss. IMO, the garter toss is just so awkward and weird,<strong> i don't want Dan to be up my dress with my entire family watching.</strong>
    Posted by kellycatalo[/QUOTE]

This.  Exactly.
    September 2012 Brides March siggy challenge: Fav registry item so far...Bunn Coffee Maker!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_garter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:5b8b4e08-42c4-4763-819e-208405594ecaPost:2ed1d0d2-fe87-4078-820c-98f551a0df00">Re: Garter Toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]i am doing the bouquet but not the garter toss. IMO, the garter toss is just so awkward and weird, i don't want Dan to be up my dress with my entire family watching.
    Posted by kellycatalo[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto!!</div>
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_garter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:5b8b4e08-42c4-4763-819e-208405594ecaPost:a4d1ce9b-c484-41a2-8eab-17f22e58ab7a">Re: Garter Toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having an anniversary dance. All married couples will be invited to the dance floor. As the song goes the DJ will dismiss couples by years and the couple that is standing the longest will get my bouquet and the garter.
    Posted by npott044[/QUOTE]

<div>The last wedding I went to did this. I'm not a huge fan of bouquet/garter tosses, so I might do this instead. Plus, my fiance and I are the last of the "singles" in our circle, so a toss seems pointless to us.</div>
    Photobucket
  • Oh man, I have decided I am going to make FI blush when he goes to get the garter(we have a sick sense of humor)lets just hope he comes back out in decent time lol.  Everyone is different, I have been to a wedding where the bride was the only "tosser".  Do what you feel is best for you guys!
    Out with the Old and in with the New!! Time to make history!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards